North Cyprus Tourist Board - smuggling dogs to the uk
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > smuggling dogs to the uk

smuggling dogs to the uk

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

fire starter

Message Posted:
27/03/2009 11:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

there has been lots of talk here recently regarding taking dogs back to the uk through other routes other than quarentine.

so i decided to enlighten you on the situation so you can make an informed decition before doing it.

if caught in the uk you will face at least 12 months imprisonment and an unlimited fine.

your pet will go into the ministry kennels and be re-exported 15 days later.

if you fail to re-export or pay the kennel bill your pet will be put to sleep.

i would also like you to check out what diseases you could be taking into the uk with you. look at the defra website under the heading "dog and cat travel and risk information'(dactari)

if your vet see's any signs of unusual disease they will report it to defra.

other valuable reading would be"the rabies(importation of dogs,cats & other mammals) order 1974. added to with lots of e.u. directives.

i love my dogs far too much to take the risk, why would you even consider doing it any other than the correct way?

Oilman

Message Posted:
27/03/2009 11:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Spot on with that one Fire Starter.

Amber

Message Posted:
27/03/2009 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Fs,

My animals are my family, sadly the only way I will get them home is via quarantine. The thought for me to be without them for 6 months makes me so so sad, but that would be better than what you have highlighted in your post.

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
27/03/2009 11:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

It just sems so crazy that it is ok to bring them from the South to the UK and not the North, when rabies or any other desease could so easily cross both ways.

Lilli

Message Posted:
27/03/2009 11:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

hi firestarter very informative. I could never ever tak that risk. I would rather live on bread and water than put my beautiful dogs through that. However I do know many people that brought thier dogs here via south by smugiling them through, again I could never take that risk.Thank you for info xxxx

David

Message Posted:
27/03/2009 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

I would like to add to this message that having just this week sent my 2 dogs back to england although it was very traumatic they are now settled in the quarantine kennels and very happy, i have had daily up dates on them and feel much better knowing this.

We never even considered this smuggling idea and it seems everyone here tells you it can be done but why would you risk your beloved pets and yourself to do this.

Amber

Message Posted:
27/03/2009 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

David,

I am glad your 2 dogs are happy in the kennels. Animals do adapt so well, I am sure when the time comes for mine to go back to UK and face quarantine, I will be the one who will suffer more. Thank you.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
27/03/2009 15:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

I usually agree with all you say firestarter but on this occasion I cannot...rabies is over egged in the UK..one would know if their pet had rabies...this is just another way of the government making money from hard pressed brits..now I am not saying smuggle your pet in but think carefully before bringing pets here if you aren't going to stay.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
27/03/2009 17:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Dee,

FS does add rabies as a secondary paragraph, the word diseases is the key one here. Who knows what a dog or cat may pick here that is endemic here but none existent in UK.

How much does a pet passport cost if you were to take a dog from RoC to UK? What precautions are included in that passport? Could those same precautions be available here? No benefit for residents here I know but just questions.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
27/03/2009 17:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

In the south you can get a pet passport but you must make sure you get the rabies blood test and stay in the country for a full six months after to ensure that your pet does not get quarantined..quarantine is just a rip off and is so dickensian, also if the south is classed as rabies free then that must apply to the north as well..after all rabied dogs dont have to stop at the border..

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
27/03/2009 17:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Dear Dee, re msg 10

The animals and I have a lot in common re this "border" of yours .. ;)

Perhaps we should tell their owners... then they could buy milk from the "rump" RoC when it's in short supply ;)

gates

Message Posted:
27/03/2009 19:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

do you want to take back rabis let alone the barking dog all night do it properly or it could be your dog that kills sombodies kid

fire starter

Message Posted:
29/03/2009 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

its not just rabies which you could take back there are many other disease's.

why should a few people be able to risk our wild life and livestock because they don't want to play by the rules?

we do actually have rabies in the uk already, it has come from northern europe and has been found in bats. only a small number.

you may not know your pet has rabies until it is too late.

dee ,i do agree in part with you that if you could take a dog home from the south you should also be able to from the north.

but they have much more control in the south than the north where smuggling dogs from russia and who knows where else is seen as normal and acceptable.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
29/03/2009 12:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Whichever way you look at this a rabid dog will show symptons very quickly and if you know and look after your pet properly you will spot signs of disturbing behaviour fast...yes there are other diseases but if you have your animals regularly checked by a vet they will become apparant..too much scaremongering goes on over rabies etc.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.