North Cyprus Tourist Board - SKYHD TV 2 damm good
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > SKYHD TV 2 damm good

SKYHD TV 2 damm good

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

kellybelly

Message Posted:
28/03/2009 01:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 23 in Discussion

Have been watching films recently sky hd,its so good you get to see bits the films makers didn't want you to see.By the way those rascals at sky have reduced hd boxes to 49 quid.New customers only of coarse.Sometime guess i will change my sky+ in Cyprus to HD,but don't tell those sky people,please LOL

Hippo

Message Posted:
28/03/2009 05:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 23 in Discussion

KB-you have started it now we are going to have the merits of Dopi v Supreme and the sack cloth and ashes brigade telling us we should be watching dodgy turk.

Sky is best and always will be.

By the way £300 ish on e bay will by you a HD box that includes of course sky plus with a 300gb hard disk.

coffer

Message Posted:
28/03/2009 10:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 23 in Discussion

You can buy a cheap Sky HD box and upgrade the HD yourself for £50 or 60 quid.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
28/03/2009 10:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 23 in Discussion

Hi Coffer, re msg 3

If you want to take the HD box to CY..

1/ it should not be part of a multiroom package -phone line required - as SKY make the box dial in - and will probably charge you full wack if you ignore their letters

2/ if the box is new and subsidised ( i.e. £49 - plus install, etc) - phone line again - for the first year

3/ IF the box is more than one year old and not one that has unpaid SKY subs THEN you'd be OK - but HOW do you know.. SKY are not "helpful" if you tell 'em I bought it on ebay, as they control the market.. they can just say - for technical reasons we can't connect this box.. tends to means it owes 'em sub money .. Ebay won't help.. :(

4/ Stay away from Pace HD as they are currently being recalled - you can hardly ask you SKY man to come to Cyprus !

5/ unless you can demonstrate the box is more than a year old and the subs are paid up.. the card is useless - until SKY turn it on - they may refuse to do this unless plugged into a UK pho

spud1

Message Posted:
02/04/2009 11:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 23 in Discussion

will a freesat box work in north cyprus

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
02/04/2009 11:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 23 in Discussion

Dear Spud1 re msg 5

"will a freesat box work in north cyprus"

YES.. the channels you get depend on the dish size - but should be the same as the equiv.SKY Box..

just to be clear - the Freesat boxes receive the same channels as SKY boxes - but you'll never be able to subscribe to pay channels, later

Quarmby

Message Posted:
02/04/2009 11:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 23 in Discussion

Yes with the right sized dish but no signal on 22000 vertical.

spud1

Message Posted:
02/04/2009 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 23 in Discussion

have a 1.8 dish

croft

Message Posted:
02/04/2009 15:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 23 in Discussion

M6, I'm getting SIPgate to adopt my UK telephone number, so that I can continue to pick up the calls via broadband anywhere in the world. Presumably, that could also fool Sky into thinking a customer was still in the UK? (SIPgate costs all of a tenner to join up, so it's worth joining, if only to get your phone bill down.)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
02/04/2009 15:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 23 in Discussion

Dear Croft, re msg 9

If you can get it to work , please advise.

Others have tried - and failed .. It works for VOICE - but even with a line setup for fax... it STILL fails.. The SKY box dial back will fail :(

BTW I use Vonage in CY and Russia - as well as the UK .

I'd be interested to know how you get on.

ataturk

Message Posted:
03/04/2009 21:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 23 in Discussion

mmmm I wonder why you are interested whether voip will work for connecting a sky box from abroad. I do hope you know that this is totally illegal as sky do not allow you to subscribe to their service abroad.

Please bear this in mind when telling other people what is illegal and what is not. Whether you pay for the subcription or not makes no difference.

croft

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 02:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 23 in Discussion

ataturk,

Thank you for making this point. As a UK resident, it hadn't occurred to me that it could actually be illegal to receive Sky in TRNC, providing I paid Sky the subscription they were due. (I have no wish to distribute the transmissions, play them in a bar etc. I just wanted to watch the TV I could already watch at home, for the same money.)

Knowing that M6 and myself are both involved in areas of the IT and electronic media industries, I would say that we both have a professional need to establish what is technically possible with regard to interconnectivity issues.

(This should not imply an incitement to use a solution that proves to be illegal.)

The issue you have raised is - I think - about intellectual property rights to broadcast a programme in a particular region. This is something I'm going to take up with Sky. When I get a reply, I'll post it, so we all understand the rules.

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 08:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 23 in Discussion

I believe Sky are "aware" that they have over 1 million subscribers using their facilities outside their agreed area.

They have done a little bit to ensure that the cards are not used abroad, but do you not think that when an employee of Sky goes abroad, he is not aware of what's happening.

Imagine him reporting the offending pub, how would Sky discover who it was?

They may know where the pub is, they may know who the owner of the pub is, but they need to know who is responsible for paying the subscription on the individual Sky card. Not very easy.

Could Sky put a mini transmitter in each card and discover where they all were? Probably yes, but they wont!

ataturk

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 09:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 23 in Discussion

Croft stop talking gibberish all you have is read your sky contract where it clearly states that sky is for the uk. Being in the field that you are I would assume that you already knew this.

The plastic policeman is only too quick to shout his mouth off about what is illegal and on this occasion he seems to have lost hs mouthpiece.

We all know what is illegal and what is not with regards to sat tv, i have no problems with it I myself receive some sky channels but I am aware it is illegal.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 09:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 23 in Discussion

The official line from SKY is that they don't have the broadcast rights to show their content over the ether.

They take reasonable steps to ensure this.

If you inform them that you wish to cancel SKY, they will try to sell you a package to keep you - but if you tell them you are about to go bankrupt or live the country they leave you alone ! ))

If you subscribe to a service, but use it outside the area for which the pay TV cos have rights this is known in the industry as "grey market" .

SKY have closed down dealers who flouted their rules about selling to non UK / IRL addresses.

So, if you have a UK / IRL address don't take a 12 or newer box / multi room box abroad - you should be fine...

It is NOT illegal for you to receive SKY outside of UK / IRL - you are breaking SKY's Ts and Cs... SKY would be breaking the right's based deal they sign wiith Premiere League, etc., and cannot KNOWINGLY sell a system abroad.

Pirates are those who don't pay SKY, period !

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 09:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 23 in Discussion

Dear Ataturk, re msg 11/14

Re legality - I hope you read msg 15 and learnt something..

You might even research an EU directive about European TV broadcasts from member states being received across Europe..

You might even know that Switzerland ( as a member of the EEA) is LEGALLY rebroadcasting FTV ( unencrypted content ) such as BBC / ITV and the Beeb backed down a legal move to stop it..

However, the wilful decryption - without paying the pay tv company - is QUITE illegal.

I think you can understand the difference. So this statement:

"Please bear this in mind when telling other people what is illegal and what is not. Whether you pay for the subcription or not makes no difference"

is actually - well, you know

ataturk

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 23 in Discussion

mmmm I think you are a little flustered and confused. It is illegal to receive sky abroad using your sky card and box as you mentioned. If you have a sky card and are watching sky abroad that is illegal. I am not disputing the fact that I watch most of the European encrypted channels. My point is that you are always ready to tell people what is legal and illegal. You can dress it up how you like and try and baffle us with facts but it is still illegal.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 10:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 23 in Discussion

Dear Ataturk, re msg 17

You forget that this "plastic policemen" had a role in the prevention of piracy.

I think I explained the viewpoint of TV channels and the actual legal / practical situation well enough..

Why don't you wait and see if some of my predictions re card-sharing / broadcasting of decryption via satellite come to be reality.. then you could "mock" IF I'm "wrong"..

ataturk

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 23 in Discussion

You go on about piracy and what you have prevented. Have you had any succes in Northern Cyprus. I think the answer would be an emphatic no. So, why do you always have to play the policeman here. No one is really interested , in fact the companies that provide these services are busier than ever. You have no authority here in the trnc and I can't understand your viewpoint. As you are a seasoned and knowledgable man with regards to satellite you will know only too well that whatever happens to the cards in the future will only be short term as these guts will eventually work around these hiccups. I can appreciate your viewpoint on this subject but don't bang the drum so loudly. We have all done something illegal at some point during our lives, it's nots so bad mate. Make your point but know that you carry no weight here in the trnc.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 10:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 23 in Discussion

Dear Ataturk

"You go on about piracy and what you have prevented. Have you had any succes in Northern Cyprus. I think the answer would be an emphatic no"

You are a little premature.. ;)

"in fact the companies that provide these services are busier than ever"

No one disputes the mantle of legitimacy they have "created".. hence the "attention" they will receive -

Their locating in "TRNC" just means things take a "little" longer..

"know that you carry no weight here in the trnc."

Well I have certainly made my bed, and I'm happy to lie in it with the knowledge that I'm not saying anything that ain't true.. we will see !

ataturk

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 10:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 23 in Discussion

A Cyprus solution is more likely mate than you stopping sat tv piracy.

But let's call it a truce. Have a nice weekend mate

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 23 in Discussion

Re msg 21, Ataturk,

Well, this weekend I'm helping Nova and Showtime in their quest re stopping the illegal decryption of their services.

I only get paid on results

croft

Message Posted:
05/04/2009 02:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 23 in Discussion

Going back to ataturk's message 14, I should point out that we don't have a Sky account in the UK and have therefore never read the company's terms & conditions. However, we would like to keep access to the main UK channels when in TRNC, hence my interest in 'fooling' a Sky box into thinking we were in the UK.

We still intend to live in the UK for part of the year. Any account with Sky would be signed up in the UK and paid for from a UK bank account.

Morally, why should we be denied access to that content in the months when we chose to live in a more agreeable climate? I ask this in the context that a) we continue to pay the Sky subscription and b) we are UK citizens, regardless of where we might be in the world.

Legally, I can see that attempting to receive Sky outside their designated area could result in termination of contract. Who exactly would we be ripping off though?

Breaking Sky's T&C is not a crime. Stealing content is a crime. Kids 'Torrent' a movie and it's free! Your

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.