North Cyprus Tourist Board - Phone/Tv/Broadband up to date advice sought
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Phone/Tv/Broadband up to date advice sought

Phone/Tv/Broadband up to date advice sought

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

caulkhead

Message Posted:
29/03/2009 22:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

I am coming out next week and would like to get my communications sorted this visit. I am starting from scratch. I am told there is no landline connected but a pole is outside the gate. We are not great TV watchers but I do need regular access to the internet. What I think I would like is mobile broadband, sufficiently fast to watch some TV and not too expensive. Does this exist and if so is it very costly? Is UKTurk still around he seems very clued up on these things? I know these questions have been asked before but it seems to me that everything is moving so fast that what might have been recommended by members on the forum earlier is now out of date. Any recent experiences/advice would be very much appreciated.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 00:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Dear Caulkhead, re msg 1

There is no real viable, reliable substitute for decent TV viewing of English channels to satellite.. and I sell Internet options - this is for those who insist on UK TV but can't won't have 4.2m

A good off-set 1.8m ( like 3 times the size of a SKY disk used to be) and SKY HD, will give you a pretty good selection -and if you don't LIVE permanently out in CY, bring your home box and card WITH you !

A small 1m dish can get you lots of Eng lang tv - and the UKturks of this world work magic at decoding PAY TV channels best efforts to get you to pay.. sometimes it works, and then you need him back as the codes stop working..

Or there's companies- who send their magic codes via the sky and who will find their signal interrupted

Ask around when you get there and NEVER pay for a years sub.. pay monthly in advance

Broadband/ Telephones... if by a miracle you can get a land line and ADSL that is the best option - if not it's the mobile and 3G

Hector

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 00:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Now this is a perfect example of just how useful this forum can be and why I joined it. Now let me think, how can I turn this into a north v south rant?

caulkhead

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Thanks mmmmm for the helpful advice. Great to learn you are not just a single issue poster.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 15:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Dear Caulkhead, re msg 4

I think you'll find there's nothing new in my posts / style / content - other than you just noticed ;)

appreciated any way ! ..

mersin10

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

good advice mmmmmm would we be able to use a freesat box from the UK if so what size dish should we have?

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Forgive my ignorance, but what is ASDL please.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 18:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

re msg 7, Stellasstar1

Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) is a form of DSL, a data communications technology that enables faster data transmission over copper telephone lines than a conventional modem can provide.

It's like BT use to provide broadband to most homes - using existing cabling that is also used by the land line phone.

The Asymmetric bit means we get faster downloading than uploading !

Sorry for being too techie.. hope that helps

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.