North Cyprus Tourist Board - 3G Internet performance in Karsiyaka
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > 3G Internet performance in Karsiyaka

3G Internet performance in Karsiyaka

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

NoNowt

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 19:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

As the 3G especially is still at an early stage, I ask this question again!

Is 3G working reasonably fast and reliably in Karsiyaka yet/still ? I'm hoping to be there in a few days and need to decide whether to stay with Nethouse or not.

Does anybody know whether Nethouse have reacted to 3G by either dropping their prices or offering a faster speed for the same price (previously c.£500 per annum) ?

Windycorner

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 19:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

I am using Turkcell 3G . Had it for three months now no problems .I am living in Karsiyaka

PeppaPig

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 20:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

We live in Karsiyaka, had 3G since November, bar one day when it was down for a couple of hours, had no problems.

Washerman

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Hi NoNowt,

3G is OK for general Internet surfing and e-mailing but struggles on bandwidth hungry tasks.

Nethouse connection should be much better and I don't think will now cost £500 for the year.

I know quite a few people that tried 3G and then returned to their original supplier.

I have to declare an interest, I am involved in Internet, but not with Nethouse, they do supply pretty good connections.

Washerman

Littlenige

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 20:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Sunnycyprus http://www.sunnycyprus.net have an excellent coverage of Karsiyaka

NoNowt

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 21:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks to all that have bothered to answer. It appears as if there are more connection drop outs with the 3G.

I have already used Remote Admin (with Nethouse) to take over PC's in London and transfer data between PC's. I intend to make router to router calls and have my second go at implementing a 2-way VPN.

I've used Nethouse for 2 years and I've only experienced 2 occasions of no service and generally bandwidth seemed perfectly adequate. So it looks like the old brushes know the corners better!

FWIW, I think I'll renew with Nethouse and try out the 3G on a month's subscription if that's possible - don't mind the cost of the dongle as I'm sure things will improve in time.

ROBIN HOOD

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Live in Karsiyaka and 3 G no problem.

DONTY

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 02:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Nethouse dropped their prices when 3G came out.

I was on 512 shared at 400tl per quarter, my speed was doubled and the price dropped to 275ytl per quarter.

Yippee!

waddo

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 09:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

3G is still young here bud fairly dependable dependent upon your location. Turkcell 3G in the Ozankoy area is iffy but good enough for normal e-mail style use. Very few occasions of drop out due to Turkcell but beware if you extend your USB cable - it can cause big problems and needs lots of TLC to keep it going. Just remember that it is not magic and is a new service.

Would be interested to know if anyone has TelSim 3G yet and if so how is that working out?

Mick

NoNowt

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 15:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks Mick for that but I only intend to trial 3G for a month's cost if that's possible - more a case of testing the router's versatility.

An even bigger thanks for the great news, to Donty! I did suspect that prices may come down and also a performance improvement due to the number of users jumping on the 3G bandwagon.

If anyone else posts to say that 3G works fine in Karsiyaka, please tell us what you use the internet for - TIA.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

NoNowt,

You mentıoned 'router' - be aware that the 3G modem is a USB 'dongle', and as far as I am aware, no one has tried a suitable USB router to 'prove' that it will work - there are some routers that 'should' work - in theory - but nobody has reported success yet!

If you put '3G router' into the search box at the top, you will see a few threads.

Good luck, and don't forget to let us know!

Keith.

waddo

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 16:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Keith,

Still waiting for my router to arrive in the safe hands of daughter on the 3rd of May! Further to that, this particular router is the subject of a total product recall - and there are thousands and thousands of them out there in use by IT proffessionals all over the world - due to the glue failing on the sides of the three pin adaptor. The EU has given it a big thumbs down as you can pull the router out of the inlet power socket and leave the pins still inside, and live, the socket.

Of course the boys on the web site have the cure already and have told everyone to keep theirs and just glue the sides back together with super glue - have even tested it to prove the point!

I will see if mine is a fall apart type when I get it and also let you know if it works. Now have the safety net of getting my money back under product recall if it fails mind you. LOL

Mick

NoNowt

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 18:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Mick, which routers are you referring to, the Vigor 2800's? I have a pair of these as well as the 2600V's. I have seen reference to a PSU recall but still not sure what the exact problem would be. Can you please post a valid link to the subject and any pro temp workarounds.

As you might guess, those are all ADSL routers (suitable for BT), but to try in Cyprus I'm taking this time a 2820VN which has 3G USB dongle support as well as cable DSL & ADSL.

Unfortunately my experience is that whatever I can achieve at home in 2 days takes more like 2 weeks over there but if I have any luck I'll post.

waddo

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 18:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

NoNowt,

This link should give you all the information but I don't think it will bother you at all. The router I bought is only for 3G and was the cheapest I could get my hands on just to try to see if a 3G router would work.

http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9229

Sadly, they are no longer on sale from the outlet I used but at the price of them and if Solwise are still selling them then they may be worth a shot - provided I can prove they work with the Turkcell dongle.

Mick

keithcaley

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 18:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

NoNowt,

look forward to hearing from you when you're here, if you need to borrow a soldering iron or anything, (like a big HAMMER) just shout...

You're a bit younger than Mick and me (I reckon our Dads got demobbed on the same day!) but we won't hold that against you!

BTW, do Nethouse give you a 'payment holiday' when you're not in residence? - I did hear that some companies do that.

Take care,

Keith.

NoNowt

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 18:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks for that. I note this has nothing to do with Draytek but coincidentally there is a mention of a problem with Draytek 2800's on Broadband Buyer. Any links I've found come up 404 so I'm none the wiser. I've had those over 2 years with no problems.

"Trying to see if a 3G router would work" is about where I am!

NoNowt

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 18:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Keith - no payment holidays granted but I take one of 6 months or so spanning the winter months when the place is generally unoccupied. The first year I paid for 12 months - the clot!!

I ran a small software house once, for quite a long time when I had other people to do all this type of stuff for me whilst I got on the with the main application software. Now I have to do it all! As for soldering irons, I did buy one and then put it away safely after I burnt my hand the 3rd time of using it!! Thanks for the offer - we'll have to wait & see. A lot of time seems to go down on trying to sort out & complete the buying process.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.