North Cyprus Tourist Board - need help with residential permit
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > need help with residential permit

need help with residential permit

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Residence Permits

» Read about Work Permits

picks

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 22:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Hi all,I am considering moving to north cyprus and have a question about it.

I am aware that i have to go to the police station to get my resident permit and see the local major of my town who wants to see my bank statement with proof of monies.The statement that i read mentions proof of a substantial amount of money needed to get the permit.

Does anyone know roughly how much a sustantial amount of money needed is ?

Hope someone can help me

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 22:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Picks,

"sustantial amount of money"

Well it can be from £2000 to £20,000 depending on the man on duty at the time of application. These monies should preferably be in TRNC bank accounts, although UK bank statements are accepted. The main thing they are looking for is if you can afford to live here without working or help from the state.

The most important factors are that you have, are in the process of having built, or buying a property in the TRNC.

The man you see is the local Muhtar, not the major by the way

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 22:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Hi picks

Some clarification is needed here and If I am wrong with the following statements then I am sure some one else will put me right.

The current minimum wage in the TRNC is around 1200Tl per month (not sure of the exact figure) and If you can prove you have around this monthly income whether it be from a UK pension or interest from savings either in the UK (No chance!) or savings invested in the TRNC or other countries then you should be ok. There is some other info that you will need and it is not easy to post on here but if you need up to date info then I can put you in touch with some one that has the latest info and will help you to understand the system.

Take care.

cyprusdavegurr@gmail.com

picks

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 23:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

thanks for your quick replies.Very helpfull.Many thanks.

parkview

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 10:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Hi Picks

I mentioned in a previous link about a lady out here that helped us get our residency and shipment of goods out here. She is a London Cypriot and was worth her weight in gold and worth every penny, so if you find you get into any difficulty and need help give her a ring. She can help you in all manor of things as she knows everyone out here. Her name is Sureya and her number is 05338452004.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 11:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

AJ,

The facts you quote are not correct regarding the cash thing.

Friends have been having a nightmare time of renewing their residency, this being their 5th year.

At one point, and I was there, they were told "you do not spend enough"!!!!! Two of us nearly went over the counter in pursuit.

It really is arbitary depending on the day as TC says in msg 2.

After most of the day spent in Lefkosa we still got no answer of what amount you need in the bank or indeed "how much you must spend"!!!!! Residency was granted for 6 months only and friends are deciding if to stay or move on.

An additional fact that is also appearing at the moment is the issue of rental properties, you may have residency refused, depending on who etc if you are not actively purchasing.

Maybe things will change after 19th April if UBP are leading party as they appear more amenable to foreigners living here.

Mrwilson

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Hi picks

Hope I can help a bit here as we are in the process of getting our residency:-

With regards to money, as others have said we showed our HSBC (cyprus) bank statement which was fine.

Other documents we needed were:-

A letter from the local muhtar (pronounced Muktar), he will ask you to go and get signatures from two other locals (i.e shop keeper, teacher) probably as we did.

Once you have this letter make maybe 3 copies of each for each person applying (I think we only needed 2 but to be safe) :-

Passport

Sales or rental agreement (we are renting and this document was fine)

Bank statments (we had a Turkish mainland one to but they prefer one from cyprus)

Plus you will need to get passport photos taken (I think we used two each)

Take these copies (and the orginals) plus the original Muhtar letter to the immigration department at the police station. They should then give you a form to take to the medical centre (past Mollys turn left then right). cont'd

Mrwilson

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 12:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

At the medical centre we paid 100 tl each I think and they did a TB test, a little injection and a took a blood test.

You then go back to the police station immigration department and they write a number in your passport and fill out a little pink book and a form and then send it off to Lefkosa and tell you to go there to collect in 3 weeks. We were advised to leave it a month to be sure it is ready.

You go back to the medical centre a couple of days after you have the TB injection and they just check your arm to see that it is ok.

From speaking to others it seems they used to give you a sealed envelope to give to the police (which should not be opened) but now that is done automatically directly from medical centre to police station.

So that's it, not as complicated as it may seem. We did actually use an agent to sort ours out but we he just waited around with us so we could have actually done it ourselves.

Hope this is of help.

Rachel

Menace

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

We are just about to do ours as wellbut dont understand what of the paperwork mentioned has to go to the Muhtar and where are we supposed to find 2 locals to sign after only being here a couple of weeks.

Denise

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 13:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

as far as i know the Muhtar will want to see your passport and proof of your address not sure if he will want to see anything else but he can easily tell you. as for the witness signatures he will tell you who has to sign and where you can find them so no need to worry. good luck

NatAless

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 15:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Hi!

I am about to do my first residency and the police station guy didn't say anything about letter from the muhtar, I think that may apply to renewing residency or things may have changed, he asked me to bring the original and one copy of my passport, contract of where I live (I rent at the moment, he said that was fine) passport photographs and copies of bank statements, he showed me a pile of applications that all had the same thing and said you get the response in 2-3 weeks, the medical test is now done in Girne you don't have to go to Lefkoşa anymore...I think it is really depressing if you own a house here how they can get funny about renewing your residency every year when you have chosen to live here for good and have made friends etc.

picks

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 22:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

thanks to everyone for your help.very appreiciated

essentialcyp

Message Posted:
02/04/2009 13:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Hi Picks

Maybe this article might help you a bit. Good luck.

http://essentialcyprus.com/residency-permits-north-cyprus/

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.