North Cyprus Tourist Board - Where to go in North Cyprus?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Where to go in North Cyprus?

Where to go in North Cyprus?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

Jackanory44

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 22:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 24 in Discussion

First visit to NorthCyprus 1st wk in may09 with 12yr old sonwho wants to visit a waterpark - any recommendations appreciated.x

DONTY

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 23:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 24 in Discussion

Only real full size waterpark is on the south near Ayia Napa and its a good one. Acapulco hotel has a couple of waterslides into the pool and a lovely beach but its no waterpark. There is a teeny weeny waterpark (one or two slides) in Lapta but i've never been and heard its not so hot? (anybody got more info?)

You could visit Ayia Napa for the day but if you have a hire car you wont be able to take it over. The way I would do it would be to drive to the Famagusta border crossing, leave the car there and call a cab on the other side. The cab is likely to cost around £20 to £30 (ish!) each way. I have a number for a Napa cabbie. it is 00357 9961 6098 I haven't used it for a year or so but give it a go.....

Hector

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 01:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 24 in Discussion

Crikey! I so often hear the call about how wonderful life is in North Cyprus and the need to support the local busineses and yet when someone asks about a waterpark they are advised to visit Aya Napa in the South! Surely there is a suitable alternative?

What about the beaches with sports facilities?

DONTY

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 02:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 24 in Discussion

Hector

The little fella wants to go to a waterpark. we don't have what i'd call a waterpark. I'm sure he's looking gleefully towards his super summer hols (stuff to remember fondly when he gets older) and is not interested in making a political stand at the age of 12 (though i could be wrong) nor thinking about supporting local businesses so i am giving info about the islands only true waterpark.

Think about it!

I did also give options on this side that they can check out.

Re. the lapta pool with slides, a work colleague took her under 10 child there and he got bored rather quickly!

I for one think we are crying out for a proper waterpark in the TRNC.

Nuff said.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 08:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 24 in Discussion

Sorry but Lapethos Hotel where small water park in Lapta was, is now closed.

Msg 1, I am afraid that this is not a country that provides for keeping children amused. Cypriot children entertain themselves playing in a way that is long dead in the UK.

A water park was allegedly being built on the roadside on way to Lefkaosa but seems to have hit usual financial problems. Plus they are trying to build where there is no water!!!!!!!!

As a senior member of the Disney World Fan club, other than Aya Napia you are stuck. However hector is correct, take advantage of what is here and rediscover life in the slow lane, the reason most of us are here.

Sorry if that sounds a negative answer to the question but we love life as it is here.

fire starter

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 09:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 24 in Discussion

hi cyprusishome

when we first came here our son was 15.

a guy in our village couldn't understand why our son spent so much time on the net.

he suggested getting him a mountain bike so he could ride aroung the village.

kids here have a very different upbringing than uk kids.

our son was horrified at his suggestion, i think his comment was something like hes not 5 years old anymore.

i have heard the water park in the south is great and you can make a day out of it.

Perry

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 24 in Discussion

Your best bet is Acapulco. I know you cannot compare it to a full blown water park - but for a reasonable fee, you do get the full resort. There is a fantastic beach with beds / shades. Nice open air terrace bars / restaurants, Huge lagoon pool and 4 water slides (2 'race' style, and 2 flume like. We have 2 young lads and they get kicks out of the slides, plus they are free to roam around the pool and the beach. It is a good day and in some ways beats the tourist crush of a Med waterpark

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 11:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 24 in Discussion

Morning R,

Yes, it really is a different and for me a better way of life seeing the kids running around and enjoying the simple pleasures that I am sure many of us here now used to partake in!!

D

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 11:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 24 in Discussion

When I lived South side I went to the Ayia Napa Water Park often.....its great but like most of these places food was limited to "fast food" and overpriced. There is also a Waterpark in Paphos but probably too far away for your holiday needs but again, worth a visit at some point.

stilluvithere

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 12:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 24 in Discussion

There are small water parks at Riverside in Alsancak and also Oscars in Karakum. I am ot sure if it is still open but there is The dolphin waterpark in Catalkoy. There are donuts and jet skis from beaches like Deniz Kizi, snorkelling everywhere, scuba so the TRNC is not that lacking

DONTY

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 14:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 24 in Discussion

The Octopus park at Catalkoy is closed.

Tell you kid he is gonna have to get in the slow lane

Bring him a stick and one of the hoop things the Victorians gave their kids, He'll have hours of fun chasing that thing.

Put some blakeys on the bottom of his shoes and he can re-create the 'sparking clogs' thingy as per that record i remember from the 70's

He could always chase lizards!

A ball can be fun. He could kick it against a wall.

I see plenty of local kids throwing stones or chasing each other (usually to thump one another).

Boy is he in for a smashing time, holiday of a lifetime!

People, this is 2009. being a child/near teenager is different to how it was in 1941. We don't go and play in bomb craters anymore!

On a positive note there is Sunset beach club in Lapta. Don't know exactly what they offer but I think they have stuff for kids! Learning to Scuba would be great and Paragliding is exillarating.

I Hope he has an amazing holiday Jackanory

Jackanory44

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 14:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 24 in Discussion

Thanks everyone for your messages - most helpful.

We're only there for one week but having a car we intend seeing as much as we can. We're picking up the car at Larnaca and crossing over to stay in the North, how long would it take to drive from Famagusta to Kyrenia and how warm does it get first half of May?

DONTY

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 24 in Discussion

Famagusta is about an hour and a half from Kyrenia.

Perfect, you have a GC rentacar, you can go over the border crossing no problem.

Napa isn't too far from Larnaca Airport (allow about half an hour)

May is nice n warm but not boiling.. low to mid 20's normally

http://www.cyprus-weather.com/article_cyprus-average-temperatures-c

Jackanory44

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 16:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 24 in Discussion

Thanks Donty , the guidebooks dont rate Famagusta (?) but we've already sorted our accom there so will venture further west and look out these hotels mentioned.x

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 16:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 24 in Discussion

jackanory

a good famiily day out is to take a boat excursion from the harbour .

good friendly skippers,sunbathe ,see the coast line and then stop and swim 3 or 4 times over the day .

lunch is included etc ,we did it last year with lem and his gang (on the board) all in all about 20 of us ,good day out

approx £25 per day inc lunch per person

kav

Hector

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 16:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 24 in Discussion

Donty

Your put down noted. I have 'thought about it.' I wasn't having a go at your advice. Nor was I making a political stand around a 12 year old.

Perhaps this is a good indicator as to why you see so few families visit the north if there are so few family friendly facilities. At least I didn't take the opportunity to advertise a cab firm in Aya Napa.

Sandcastle

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 17:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 24 in Discussion

Famagusta area is a great area to stay for a 12 year old.

Kantara castle is a must for anybody. Kids of all ages love climbing up over all the ruins but you need a good head for heights.

Salamas ruins are also great fun especially for boys.

My kids are in their late teens now but still get a buz from exploring!

The beaches are great although the cafes and sun beds will still be closed at that time of year. Bafra Beach has all the water sports.

Famagusta itself has Peteks the ice-cream shop with cakes and ice-creams to die for. Although a tad expensive now. It has loads of mini football pitches and baseball areas all free to use and some great shops.

If he gets board of all that, then there is the go-kart track and the bowling alley!

rowlo

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 18:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 24 in Discussion

grow up hector ,

cronos

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 19:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 24 in Discussion

Sandcastle...msg 17

We tried Peteks after numerous recommendations on the Board....and I must say I was seriously underwhelmed.

Loads of choice...but so so surroundings and service...and as you say ridiculously expensive.

DONTY

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 24 in Discussion

Hector

I meant it. I dont think you were really thinking about the young fella's enjoyment and got carried away with the politics.

I'm not on commission. The guy was friendly even though he knew I was living in the north so as a decent seeming human I took his number to use again.

Just trying to be helpful and trying to help the young fella have a super holiday.

essentialcyp

Message Posted:
02/04/2009 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 24 in Discussion

Hi,

Maybe these articles can help you - in fact there is plenty of things for kids to do!!

http://essentialcyprus.com/things-for-kids-north-cyprus

- click on the tag at the bottom of the article 'kids stuff north cyprus' and it will take you to articles specifically geared towards entertaining kids on holiday, where to eat, best facilities.

Hope this helps.

bails

Message Posted:
15/04/2009 19:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 24 in Discussion

we are looking to go to the north of cyprus cananyone tell us what it is like there

rowlo

Message Posted:
15/04/2009 19:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 24 in Discussion

depends what your looking for bails msg22 ??

Brinsley

Message Posted:
15/04/2009 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 24 in Discussion

My Nephew is 12 yrs and he accompanies me to the pub, Historical sites, Museums, Restaurants 'til the early hours without complaint. He fixes my computer, enjoys water downed wine at the dinner table and is well adjusted to European life style. I've yet to throw him into a girlie night club but is treated as an adult and acts as such!

Richard

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.