North Cyprus Tourist Board - dog poisoning
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > dog poisoning

dog poisoning

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

onlyme

Message Posted:
30/01/2008 12:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 49 in Discussion

walked along the beach the other day and found 2 dead dogs.there must be a way of stoppıng the barbarıc poısonıng that ıs stıll goıng on

jacko

Message Posted:
30/01/2008 13:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 49 in Discussion

Onlyme

Why do the locals do this i like most of the UK are dog lovers, do they not like dogs? or is it the expense of upkeep im aware this also happens in Crete too, so it is not just this island that treats animals in this way. As for what can we do i dont suppose alot, animal sanctuaries are expensive to run and if dogs and cats are not castrated, litters will always be produced and dumped. It takes time to make changes and this is something the next generation of folk needs educating on.

jacko

ukturk

Message Posted:
30/01/2008 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 49 in Discussion

hi guys

its really a big problem in most of the eastern euorpean countires, especailly in turkey, what people, bars and resturants do is have a dog to intice children with their familes to their estabilshments then when the season fnnishes they shut up shop and leave the dogs to become homeless, there was a big rumour here that the local council was poisoning them which was flatley denied

and now their are big support groups to try and tackle this through education especially turks because they have to see a dog is not just a presi its for life!!!

there is a support group in cyprus if you guys want to take a look link, provided below

http://www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

regards

ukturk

jacko

Message Posted:
30/01/2008 14:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 49 in Discussion

interesting web site Ukturk, and hats off to them it will be a long battle, i found it interesting on reading that they catch the dogs, neuter, vacinate and remove ticks etc after all this hard work they then let them off back in to the community. Surely it would be better to let then die with no pain than to release them and then get poisened?

jacko

Tiggy 2

Message Posted:
30/01/2008 14:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 49 in Discussion

Poor animals.

all dogs should by law be micro chipped and if thrown out to be strays then the weight of the law should be brought down on the owners when found.

If left then dogs will become packs, I know to my cost as one of the main reasons of getting out of the apartment complex in Lanzarote. Stray dogs crapping all over the place, barking all day and night and fighting and scaring residents. NOT the dogs fault.

To let them back in to the community is a stupid idea as they have to hunt for food, causing all sorts of problems. Ending their misery is more kinder.

So think a 100 times before getting one as a pet.

Alasian

Message Posted:
30/01/2008 16:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 49 in Discussion

Turkish Cypriots do not hate dogs. Most of the people(not living in flats) that I know own pets.

Please do not generalise the ignorance of some people to a whole nation.

There were even Turkish Cypriot freedom fighters and civilians that were sharing their scarce food with their dogs between 1963-74(the war of survival).

Tiggy 2

Message Posted:
30/01/2008 19:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 49 in Discussion

Alasian,

Seems no matter what I write today you seem to take offence. I was referring to bad owners and no to all as I think you well know.

simbas

Message Posted:
31/01/2008 11:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 49 in Discussion

alsation you sound so angry in your posts , whats the matter ? or perhaps its the way i'm reading them , it is quite difficult on times to suss out the emotions attached in the wording of posts

have a good day simbas

Tiggy 2

Message Posted:
31/01/2008 13:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 49 in Discussion

Simbas, have you seen the way you have spelt the young mans name ? !!

he will go barking mad!

Have a nice day all.

simbas

Message Posted:
31/01/2008 13:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 49 in Discussion

oh god ! i'm so sorry , that was a genuine mistake . that will worry me now .

regards pat { or should that be prat }

Alasian

Message Posted:
31/01/2008 14:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 49 in Discussion

Simbas,I am not angry at all, it is difficult to get the emotions from text.

simbas

Message Posted:
31/01/2008 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 49 in Discussion

yeh , i do agree it is difficult

regards simbas

lesleyd

Message Posted:
13/02/2008 00:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 49 in Discussion

As the web designers of this site which we do free of charge for KAR, we are pleased that so many people like it. The staff at the centre actively encourage visitors to come along to find out at first hand all the hard work, care and love which goes in to looking after these neglected animals.

The centre are always looking for new volunteers to help out as they have many areas where they are under staffed.

This is a reply that I got after asking one of the members about the comment that jacko made.

"Good Grief,

KAR make no secret of the fact that we pick up street dogs for neuter and return. What is the problem with that?

We do not release dogs from the centre willy nilly, to a life on the streets.

I think who ever wrote to you needs some kind of reality check, or something.

God save us from these kind of people."

Regards Lesley

Nglbarnes

Message Posted:
13/02/2008 02:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 49 in Discussion

What a great cause.

I went to the KAR website and with a couple of clicks donated some money using paypal.

I will definitely go and visit the centre during my visit to NC next week.

Keep up the good work.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
13/02/2008 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 49 in Discussion

Hi Ngl

What a nice gesture, I am sure the guys up there will be very grateful, its just a shame that more people don't feel the same way, as there are lots of very loving animals just waiting to have a home of their own and to give lots of unconditional love.

Regards Lesley

lesleyd

Message Posted:
14/02/2008 00:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 49 in Discussion

These are some of the area's that poison has been left down for the animals.

Animal POISON ALERT

Beware – Poison has been reported as follows:-

AREA DESCRIPTION DATE

LATEST REPORTS:

Atma Villas, Gunes Sokak

Behind Melpas Hotel

Catalkoy Unknown 25.1.08

Behind Dedeman Olive Tree

Catalkoy – on grass Spray possible weedkiller 21.1.08

Prestige Villas – Seaside

Lapta Unknown 16.1.08

Alsancak, Lapta border Unknown 14.1.08

Road to Camelot Beach

Alsancak Luncheon meat ‘Zwan’ 10.1.08

Road over from Sempati Hotel

Leading down to beach 9.1.08 &

Lapta Luncheon meat ‘Zwan’ 20.1.08

Karsyaka Beach unknown 19.12.07

Zeta Adil Cad Meat 3.11.07

Nr Malpas Hotel

Catalkoy

Opp Dedeman Olive Tree

Down track from hotel on RH side unknown 30.10.07

Catalkoy

Nr Mambos Rest, Chicken bones 12.10.07

Ataturk Sokak, Yesiltepe

tatlisu

Message Posted:
14/02/2008 01:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 49 in Discussion

Hi All

Visited the sanctuary on every visit to TRNC, Daughter loves to go. We can take some dogs out for a walk and also go in the cattery and play with cats/kittens. It is such a shame but the staff do a fantastic job. Last time we were there in october there was one of the dogs so ill, it had been poisoned. people had left poison on the dog trails so we had to keep a watch on the dogs we took out and not let them of their leads. This was such a shame as they loved being set free on previous visits. But dogs safety was munber 1. )))))

Well worth a visit if you are animal lovers and can take food or leave a donation with them. Gail

lesleyd

Message Posted:
14/02/2008 14:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 49 in Discussion

Hi tatlisu

you are so right about the dogs enjoying a good old romp on their walks and its so nice to watch then enjoying themselves. What I cant understand is why some evil person should put poison down at this site or anywhere else for these poor animals as they are all kept in pens so cant do anyone or anything any harm, it is beyond me why some people are so evil.

Regards Lesley

dodger

Message Posted:
15/02/2008 21:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 49 in Discussion

Just been reading that there is a new even stronger type of poison being spread around.I would like to poison the people using it and watch them vomit,go blind and have a long lingering death.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
16/02/2008 01:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 49 in Discussion

Nice one dodger couldn't agree more with you, some people think that animals are on this earth just to ill treat, its a great pity that they don't try to get to know some of them better we humans could learn a lot from animals.

Tiggy

Message Posted:
16/02/2008 09:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 49 in Discussion

Careful dodger,

I put a comment once about a house thief being scum of the earth etc and got castigated by a forum user! God only knows what will happen to you, if she reads your comments.

What this person or persons are doing is wrong and they should be locked up for their actions when hopefully caught.

I deal with barking/mistreated dogs as part of my job. Some of the owners are away in another world and they would treat a pet better than a human. So it can swing both ways. The owners that I do not like are the ones that do not pick up the dogs mess after it. Letting others tread in it and it can have some nasty effects if children come in contact with it.

May well take a look at the sanctuary when over in May as my partner may swap me for a dog. She loves animals & so do I.

Take care all

P.

dodger

Message Posted:
16/02/2008 15:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 49 in Discussion

Patrick,

I always say it as i see it,if thats wrong then tough do do.Who was the person who gave you grief,dont remember.Anyway is it not illegal to poison dogs in cyprus,or do the authorities turn a blind eye to it,

Regards,

Paul.

ukturk

Message Posted:
16/02/2008 16:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 49 in Discussion

hi guys

this problem is getting widespread thru turkey and cyprus and not just the north side there are now reports coming out that the south has the same problem i found this report take a look

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/main.php?id=37583&cat_id=1

regards

ukturk

lesleyd

Message Posted:
17/02/2008 00:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 49 in Discussion

Hi Tiggy

You have a very good point in what you write regards, The owners that I do not like are the ones that do not pick up the dogs mess after it. Letting others tread in it and it can have some nasty effects if children come in contact with it. But what about if children came into contact with the poison? I just wouldnt like to think. And your quite right about cleaning up the mess after their pets I always take bags with me to clean up after my dogs.

Regards Lesley

Tiggy

Message Posted:
17/02/2008 12:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 49 in Discussion

Respect to you Lesley,

Caring for pets is also the not so nice bit of cleaning up. Problems of this kind of animal brutality is heart breaking. People out walking should be a little extra vigilante and hopefully someone will be caught. Dodger can carry out the sentence on them!

Lovely sunny cold morning in London, pity I am working.

dodger

Message Posted:
17/02/2008 13:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 49 in Discussion

Morning all,

Lovely cold,crisp,sunny morning in Hull.Just been in the park with the dogs,armed with my pooh bags.What sort of sentences are dished out if any,anyone who carries out this despicable act should be jailed,

Regards,

Paul.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
18/02/2008 13:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 49 in Discussion

Hi Everyone

A little bit of news regarding the poisoning of animals. voicing opinions in forums is all well and good but actions speak louder than words, so please sign the petition and try to attend the meeting to get the government to take some positive action.

11/2/08

Following the public meeting held at Watermill Hotel Girne, Kyrenia Animal Rescue representatives are endeavoring to secure an appointment with President Talat in order to present the Petition that calls for changes in the way that lethal poison is imported, sold and indiscriminately used.

It is hoped that the many supporters of KAR including those who attended the meeting, pet owners, students and all interested parties will support on the day that the Petition is presented. It is planned that Television and Press will be in attendance so the more people that can attend at the appointed time the better. KAR hope to show a strong and united front when meeting with Mr. Talat.

The date and time of the appointment will be posted on the web site

13/2/08

President Talat has agreed to accept the KAR Poison Petition and the Presidential Office will contact KAR with an appointment date and time. Watch This Space!!!.

Regards Lesley

dodger

Message Posted:
18/02/2008 14:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 49 in Discussion

Well done lesley keep pushing.

dodger

Message Posted:
18/02/2008 20:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 49 in Discussion

Sorry Lesley the above post reads like you are giving birth,

Regards,

Paul.

Busy Bees Bogaz

Message Posted:
18/02/2008 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 49 in Discussion

Hi All

I am new to this board, and feel the same regarding animals. Me and my Cypriot partner own 8 dogs, 6 of which last year were all poisoned by a villager leaving poison down for the ga ga birds which eat the crops. It was awful, they all looked dead, but if you inject them quickly, they will survive, and they all did. Busy Bees Estate Agents recently sponsored the new BARK rescue service that will be covering our side of the Island in a halloween charity do, and we are very happy to offer a 0.5% contribution to them for the set up of a rescue service on this side of the Island from all sales received from enquiries received from this site. Please with any enquiries, quote Cyprus 44.

Many Thanks,

Maria Jerome

simbas

Message Posted:
18/02/2008 20:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 49 in Discussion

Hi maria and jerome , welcome to the forum , i have heard of you from another forum { bogaz info } hope you enjoy our site as much

regards simbas

Busy Bees Bogaz

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 10:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 49 in Discussion

Thanks Simbas, from what I have seen so far it looks very informative, I shall be recommending some friends on this side to join up!!!

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 11:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 49 in Discussion

Just a thought and forgive me if someone has already suggested this but wouldn't it be advisable for dogs to wear muzzles, that way they wouldn't be able to eat the poison. I'm sure they must be available in the pet shops but not having any animals I don't tend to visit the pet shops.

Karen

lesleyd

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 15:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 49 in Discussion

Hi Maria

What a fantastic job your doing so pleased that there is also someone else that is so passionate about what's happening to these poor animals keep up the good work. So pleased also that all your animals survived this evil doing.

And Paul... as for the pushing those days are well over done that got the T-shirt actually 3 T-shirts....lol

Lesley

Busy Bees Bogaz

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 18:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 49 in Discussion

Hi Lesley,

I'm sure there's always more to be done, and I have thought today that we will include the donation from house sales on our next lot of brochures we print. We had a stray at the office that was dumped, and was in awful condition. One of our developers on the Karpaz has taken it on now and we have bought it a lovely house and she the site moto!!!! One down, how many thousands to go????

lesleyd

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 20:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 49 in Discussion

Hi again Busy Bees what a very nice happy ending I just wish that the animal rescue that we do the web site for was as lucky re-homing all the cats and dogs they have.

Some have been re-homed but I think there is around 300 dogs and god knows how many cats at the Kyrenia Animal Rescue just waiting for a home to call their own.

dodger

Message Posted:
20/02/2008 00:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 49 in Discussion

busy bees,

great to have you on the site,you must have been beside yourselves.Do you know who laid the poison,and cant anything be done about it.My wife works full time at the vets so on many ocassions we have a house full of strays as we just cant say no.Carry on with the great work you are doing,

Regards,

Paul.

Busy Bees Bogaz

Message Posted:
20/02/2008 07:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 49 in Discussion

Hi there Dodger,

Yes, it was a villager. I am the only English person in the very small village that I live in, and it is mixed with dog lovers/haters. 7 of our dogs live at my partners farm, and one in the house, which they find incredible. I'm afraid it will take years before we see any big change. However, there is a lady in the next village who is trying to take matters further, as we had to put a house on the market last week,...reason for moving?, can't bare to see what goes on with the animals anymore. I think this is very sad that they feel they have to move back to the u.k because of it. Also, we have so many less English living on this side to help push the point! Thanks for your welcome to the board.

chezza

Message Posted:
09/10/2008 22:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 49 in Discussion

Hi Ukturk,

Found your comments and others about dogs in NC. I am really very very surpised that nobody mentions Leishmaniasis the Old World Disease and particularly Viseral Leishmaniasis, the disease found aroundthe Med.and in NC. Sandflies that draw blood from wild canines can carry the disease to humans, look up on the internet everybody. Stray poorly dogs should be kindly put down. The areas at risk are ex-farming rural lands probably housing livestock with developers breaking down old stone cottages serving for decades for the sandfly to hatch the eggs. Look up this stuff on the internet and one realises that everybody in NC should be active in spraying insecticides on/around all these new developments in the sticks !!!

Rocker

Message Posted:
09/10/2008 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 49 in Discussion

Like most expats I am a dog lover, and try very hard to ensure the safety of my dog and that it does not upset other people. But what worries me the Hunting season starts again on the 26th October and I expect like previos even more stray dogs which then lewads on to more poison being laid.

Rocker

Talla

Message Posted:
09/10/2008 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 49 in Discussion

Read KAR signing of the petition post.

Sorry to say that the turn out wasn't as good as it 'should have' and 'could have' been! I found out about it at the last minute (night before) and having previously signed the petition, and been through the experience of having my dogs poisoned 3 times, I was keen to show my support. I don't know if KAR advertised the event in the Cyprus Today (I didn't see it), I would like to think that the lack of supposed dogs lovers in attendance; was due to the fact that they didn't know about it.....if you all feel that strongly about it...where were you???

fire starter

Message Posted:
10/10/2008 12:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 49 in Discussion

uk turk re post 23

when we were in turkey they seamed to have control of the dog thing.

all dogs wandered freely and were ear tagged. they would start at one end of the village and get fed by the first house hold, on to the next household or shop and they would give them a bowl of water so on and so forth.

it was a good way of owning a dog or dogs on a shared ownership scheme.

none of these dogs scrounged around restaurants or tourists and were all well cared for.

maybe this would be a better policy here in cyprus, then the way it is now.

one afternoon in girne a stray dog went to drink for a shop keepers aircon bucket collecting the excess water,outside his shop. he gave the stray a good kick and we went mad at him.

he just shrugged and walked away!

Amber

Message Posted:
10/10/2008 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 49 in Discussion

I was sad to hear that the turn out was not good. I did not hear about it till yesterday morning, when it was too late. I feel very strongly about it and would have been there to offer support if I'd known beforehand. These poor animals have a hard enough time as it is without some evil being poisoning them.

RedSnapper

Message Posted:
10/10/2008 21:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 49 in Discussion

chezza, well said.

phylray

Message Posted:
10/10/2008 21:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 49 in Discussion

Am not a dog lover, but I do think poisoning is a horrible thing to do

to any creature. If it is a health risk then kinder to put down painlessly

Stray dogs in packs can be a menace and danger but no excuse for poison

Very cruel death. Imagine it yourself!

RedSnapper

Message Posted:
10/10/2008 21:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 49 in Discussion

very true phyl but what else can a poor country do? they cant send 200 men out with nets or humane traps, they aint got the money and no one has anymore money for a lovely rescue kennel, food and vets bills. deadly viruses and bites especially to children. youve seen the problems with noise and sh 1 t on TBV...i swerved to avoid one two years ago at alsancak and nearly hit the concrete lorry coming the other way.

beverley

Message Posted:
11/10/2008 00:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 49 in Discussion

Hi Paul totaly agree with you on the sad bastards who harm our animals.by the by I am from hull too.

Kind Regards

Beverley

wynyardman

Message Posted:
11/10/2008 00:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 49 in Discussion

Wholly unconscionable!

wyn

fire starter

Message Posted:
13/10/2008 09:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 49 in Discussion

saturday evening, one bitch was obviously in season. lots of dogs hanging around her.

my neighbours son went out with the gun and started blasting away. he doesn't even live in our village but in girne.

it happened to be his brothers bitch ,which was the bitch in season.

instead of locking her in the house as any sensible owner would do, he shot the dogs for hanging around.

sunday morning he was around in the village bragging about it.

police have been informed, but don't seem to be in a hurry to do anything about it.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.