North Cyprus Tourist Board - Home Security - recent burglaries in Karsiyaka
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Home Security - recent burglaries in Karsiyaka

Home Security - recent burglaries in Karsiyaka

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

andyandsand

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 00:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Reading some blogs and quite disturbed that burglaries are becoming a regular thing - a few have happened in the Karsiyaka region where my villa is - does anyone know of a company/persons who supply and fit plastic coated metal gates/grills - these are very popular in Spain but I have not noticed any over in TRNC yet (but then again I have not really looked because I didn't think I would need them!) - I am looking at patio door locks as an alternative but am quite nervous about fitting these incase the glass shatters ( not confident that a 24hour board up service would be in operation locally!) Can anyone help I am sure we are all thinking the same thing?

Turtle

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 01:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

I am not thinking the same thing andyandsand.

There has been a few "incidents" but does it warrant boarding up and full on security ?

kaiserphil

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 01:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Turtle - depends if you are living there or renting to tenants. We decided when we were still in UK that security of our tenants was paramount.

Oddly enough, we didn't have a breakin until we were living there!

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 02:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Turtle,

I am happy for you that you are feeling confident about the 'few incidents' and hope that it won't happen 'to you' Inshallah. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. just don't be too complacent.

We have had 2 break-ins last year and 4 more in the area, the last one where they ripped the safe from the wall.

It certainly does warrent full on security AND boarding up.

canyavuz

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 02:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

andyandsand,

Additional locks would help to slow the process of the theives getting into your property, but if they eventuallly do gain entry, how will you know who it was?

As you have propably guessed, my advicee is Cctv. I have a wireless cctv system on my property. That way, in the unlikely event of a burgalry, it will all be recorded onto a massive 500GB recording box, and passed onto the police, who are very good with catching thieves believe it or not. Whereas a lock could nnot give you video proof......makes sense doesn't it?

You can buy a recording box for about £200, and a good camera for about £80 (wireless).

This island is very small. Almost every theif gets caught. The poolman which i used to use used to rob the homes of the pools that he used to maintain.

But because so many people knew him, he got caught, and locked up.

Teresa

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 07:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

It is a very sad world when people have to resort to stealing from a mosque and yesterday the collection box was stolen from Karsiyaka mosque.

skybluesam

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 07:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Andy, give me a call and I will put you in touch with a lad that fits patio and window locks, really effective and cheap!

Nick 0533 8622815

lambousa-sec

Message Posted:
04/04/2009 08:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

We are a new company with over 20 years experience in the security industry, we install wirefree intruder systems which use the GSM network to signal upto 8 mobile phones of a break in. We also provide other security services.

We have a display at the lambousa saturday market or contact by either phone or email.

0533 845 4809

Lambousa-security@hotmail.com

Hope this is of help to you.

beejay

Message Posted:
05/04/2009 11:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

canyavuz,

We have just had our pool pump stolen.

and now look to make our property more secure.

How good is the wireless Cctv system you advise and where can you

get this from? We live in the Karsiyaka area.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
05/04/2009 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

I would suggest that an alarm which could deter burglars would be the way to go. Videoing them might well identify them (or it might not) but it wouldn't necessarily get your possessions returned to you. Insurance can compensate but sentimental items might never be seen again. I'd rather they didn't burgle my house in the first place.

canyavuz

Message Posted:
06/04/2009 02:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

msg 9, beejay,

sorry to here about that. I bought the equiptment from the UK (dont know of anybody in Girne offering such a service).

I bought a very good quality wireless camera (not cheap chinese stuff), with an extremely good night vision feature (no light needed, and can view things from more than 20 meters away). I bought the camera (1 camera) for £89.99, from MAPLINS.

A little expensive, but worth it.

The DVR (the recorder box) with the 500GB hard drive cost me £190. This box can record up to 4 cameras at once, and has sensor motion trigger. This box can alsso be connected to the internet, so you can view your property online, from anywhere worldwide.

All together, cost me £280. A little expensive, but is worth it. Peace of mind and all that!

Unfortunately, it was not from the TRNC, and the idea of bringing everything over from the UK may have put you off!

Or maybe try a dummy camera? £20 can buy you a very good looking dummy camera......good repellent for thieves.

fire starter

Message Posted:
06/04/2009 08:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

we also have cctv and brought ours in the uk also.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
06/04/2009 08:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

My standard advice is: -

Alarm Box (Real or Dummy)

PIR Security lights (considerately angled re. neighbours windows!)

- and I have to say that there's nothing wrong with the idea of a camera - Real or Dummy

Extra Patio Window locks might slow them down, although they won't STOP them, they'll just cause more damage on the way in.

And the Ultimate Deterrent? A bloody big outside DOG, with a really good BARK - ideally belonging to your next door neighbour, so you don't even have to feed the brute!

fire starter

Message Posted:
06/04/2009 09:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

anyone interested in a dalamation?

i agree with keith a big dog is the best deterrant.

canyavuz

Message Posted:
06/04/2009 11:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

firestarter,

a very random input into the discussion, and made me laugh too!

And yes, a dog may bee the best deterrant. Just make sure it aint a frieendly trncc street dog.........

A rotwieller, something loud..../

Thinker

Message Posted:
06/04/2009 12:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

I am in total agreement with the BIG BARKING DOG!! They drive us mad at night but would deter any burglar attempting to access your (their) territory.

A friend was burgled in Karsiyaka last week, very sad. Accessed the villa via the patio doors, which although they were locked, are apparently easily lifted off the hinge and opened. You can contact your builder to put in "stops" at the top of the patio doors to prevent this from happening. Why these are not fitted in the first place, I have no idea....

louthlass

Message Posted:
06/04/2009 13:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Dog warnings on the gates, large dog biscuit sacks by the bin, and large dog turds by the gate!!!

keithcaley

Message Posted:
06/04/2009 19:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Terry,

Talk about 'scene setting'!

Did you ever think of a career in interior design?

On second thoughts, perhaps not...

Keith.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.