North Cyprus Tourist Board - cleaning up litter in trnc
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > cleaning up litter in trnc

cleaning up litter in trnc

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

sissy

Message Posted:
07/04/2009 19:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 29 in Discussion

Just been reading frank and Joans news letters. Frank was saying that Tourism Chiefs are promoting a clean up in the TRNC. There has been complaints from tourists concerning litter A good thing dont you think?

Littlenige

Message Posted:
07/04/2009 19:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 29 in Discussion

let the locals do it.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
07/04/2009 19:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 29 in Discussion

Hi Sissy.

Couldn't agree more. There was an article in the Cyprus Mail about it. Seems the administration are looking for volunteers to assist in cleaning up the TRNC. Plan appears to be to get the army and schools involved \as well as individual volunteers. I walk along the Alagadi Beaches and up in the mountains on a regular basis, and for me a clean up cannot come soon enough. However, until attitudes change about littering in general and fly tipping in particular, I fear that any clean up will achieve only a limited success.

Regards

Paul

cronos

Message Posted:
07/04/2009 19:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 29 in Discussion

Nige has a point,albeit presented flippantly.

If unemployment is a problem in NC then pay locals to clean up the litter.

If they don't want to do it then pay all the Brits who come to NC looking for work and can't legally find any.

Much of the expense would be covered if the authorities actually fined the builders/developers responsible for the massive flytipping problem.

*steps back down off soapbox*

gates

Message Posted:
07/04/2009 19:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 29 in Discussion

unfortunatly this is a big question so many ilegals were do they dump there ill earnt gains does any body know we at bracey builders would not mind contributing in a way to help this problem pahaps 40ytl a week to some unimployed turk cyp i am sure i can get more on board to do clearance work if some body was to take control any offers any ideas . could we do some good here instead of just moaning pahaps there is a big HELP that could work

Lilli

Message Posted:
07/04/2009 22:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 29 in Discussion

we all moan and groan about it but how many council workers do you see that are cypriots cleaning or building the roads. I have been watchong a gang of four this week in Alsanca and giiving them water all mainland employed by the council . Makes you wonder if thet give them permits xx

briggus

Message Posted:
07/04/2009 23:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 29 in Discussion

This is good news - however are we just treating the symptoms rather than the cause. The govt should be look at targetting schools, universities, posters articles in newspapers - educating the population. Fining offenders may help too.

Littlenige

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 07:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 29 in Discussion

Why let the locals do it?

Well youu can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink, you can show the benifits time time and time again but untill the Local people realise it is costing them money and affecting them expats and ngo's are wasting their time doing beach / street clean ups, they will still leave the carap on the beach dirty nappies beer bottles remnants of the bbq, they still drive down the road and empty the ashtray and stuff out the window, ANSWER 250 YTL FINE FOR ALL CAUGHT TIPPING ANY LITTER. 50 YTL GOES TO THE OFFICER ISSUING THE FINE. 100YTL TO THE GOVERMENT AND 100YTL TO THE FUND FOR CLEANUP OPERATION.

fire starter

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 09:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 29 in Discussion

well said nige!

start by teaching them to put rubbish in the bin.

Littlenige

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 09:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 29 in Discussion

Got to hit them very very hard and show LITTER LOUTS will NOT BE TOLLERATED

If it is a company then fine them 2500 ytl ten times the rate for an individual.

fire starter

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 09:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 29 in Discussion

last week one of the village racists decided to drag her old wood and rubbish onto our top driveway.

first told her to move it, she didn't so i called the police.

she ran, but was made to come back and remove it.

that was amazing first victory for a brit over a local.

i wouldn't mind but she lives on the otherside of the village.

she was just being a racist.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 12:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 29 in Discussion

I think Nige hits the nail squarely on the head. Until the administration starts to fine offenders then locals will continue to throw their rubbish anywhere. Only yesterday I was behind a car and saw the passenger lob a beer bottle out of the window and onto the side of the road. What chance is there when you are battling that type of mentality ??

Cyprusquest

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 29 in Discussion

The litter problem is not just North Cyprus (although it feels bad) it is to be found all round at that end of the Med.

How come in some European countries we suffer very little grafiti and litter and in others there is more it is not just education but love for the environment and our homes that needs to be taught too.

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 12:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 29 in Discussion

Message 13 - went to Barcelona last year and although it was quite clean and reasonably litter-free (compared to NC) I've never seen so much graffiti any where in my life. It's everywhere.

Aslan

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 12:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 29 in Discussion

Its incredible that in this day and age when the media both globaly and nationaly report on environment issues regarding litter, in the TRNC they have had campaigns in Schools about this issue and urged the children to educate their parents about the environment, litter, recycling e.t.c.

I have over a few years witnessed the drivers of top brand fizzy drink companies aswell as other product delivery drivers throwing rubbish from the van while driving, on one occasion I took down the number plate and called Pepsi to explain what I had witnessed with the time and location, I also made it clear that although the drivers actions were unacceptable that he should consider discussing the issue with all Pepsi employees and conclude with the actions that would be taken if a future employee representing the company is found to have breached this code of ethics.

Whether this happened or not I will never know.

Aslan

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 13:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 29 in Discussion

I do recall the administration providing some sort of environmental policing policy with a call centre for those who witness an environmental crime to call and spill the beans on the plaintiff, I think that this number would be used by about 99% Foriegners and 1% Citizens.

Cyprusraider

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 13:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 29 in Discussion

Yes and No. In the short term, if litter isn't cleared , then we ALL suffer. Medium term, indeed, high fines and EDUCATION.

Current Clean Up Campaign a little too close to the elections no?

As somebody said treat the cause, not the symptoms

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 13:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 29 in Discussion

UK news today 385,659 items of litter picked up from British beaches by 500 volunteers, the litter on beaches has more than doubled in the last 15 years.

The government says it is people's own problem there are litter bins provided they should be used.

There are fines here but it is enforcing the fines that is the problem.

Cyprusquest

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 14:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 29 in Discussion

Msg 14 last time i was in France (on the north coast) nearly free of both.

Maybe its the Med that has the problem?

Littlenige

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 14:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 29 in Discussion

Woodspeckie

were the 500 brits or foreighners ? who organised it brits or foreighners ?

Laptalocal

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 29 in Discussion

I noticed yesterday, that despite Lapta council clearing all the rubbish from the sides of the roads a couple of weeks ago, it has all started to come back. As soon as it was clear, bottles and cans etc all just started appearing again. As FP says, you drive down the road and drivers are just chucking the stuff out of cars. Maybe if there were more litter bins (or even some incentive for recycling) this would stop but re-education is needed. You can now get fined 100 ytl for dropping litter in Girne - this should be implemented everywhere. It would also give the police something else to do, rather than constantly stopping motorists!

TheSaints

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 15:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 29 in Discussion

I agree with Nige hit them in the pocket where it really hurts and in the inital implementation phase (for a limited period) every policeman should have a daily quota of people fine, might keep them busy for a while.

petez

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 15:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 29 in Discussion

I contacted the Government a couple of months ago about geting hold of the reports they did on litter and rubbish in North Cyprus a few years back...

I didn't get a reply, but i did mention our Keep North Cyprus Tidy Facebook group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=131520585014

(join if you haven't already)

And my plans to advertise it on our website

http://www.lincguide.com

(i was persuaded not to by people worried by negative effects on tourism)

Maybe their heads aren't in the sand quite as far as we thought.

Littlenige

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 29 in Discussion

petez please do not tell anyone there is a problem my villa may be worth less it may have an effect on my villa rentals I am ok as it is we are knee high in litter but PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT it may hurt my interests !!

nimby

Sandcastle

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 29 in Discussion

Hope it does work

Iskele council have cleaned up the Bogaz area in the last couple of weeks and have put lots of new bins around the harbour.

The coast has also been cleaned up recently.

Time will tell if the bins are used but at least they are trying.

ajaney

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 19:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 29 in Discussion

Message 13. Grafitti is considered an art form in spain that is why there is so much of it

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
08/04/2009 21:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 29 in Discussion

ajaney - message 26. Thanks for info. Just googled subject - very interesting and I was certainly unaware of the scale of appreciation of graffiti in Spain. You learn something every day!!!

J

fire starter

Message Posted:
09/04/2009 09:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 29 in Discussion

our local shop keeper provided loads of new bins for the village, the people still throw the rubbish on the floor.

they don't care, of a weekend they just sit in it ,outside their homes whilst eating kebabs.

the local gov dikmen have even sent us a road sweeper for the village who is complaining about the rubbish and dog crap.

he doesn't need a road sweepers cart and broom ,he needs a jcb.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
18/05/2009 14:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 29 in Discussion

Hi All

After the media coverage of the governments much vaunted crusade against litter and 'clean up the TRNC campaign', what has changed ??? With the tourist season underway and it being only a few weeks before the turtles come to the beaches of NC to lay their eggs, I went for a walk along Alagadi Beach this morning and was really disappointed by the state of the place. I walk Alagadi on a regular basis but today was much worse than I have seen it before. In particular, to the left of the beach cafe the sand was littered with plastic bags and bottles, whilst the little car park just outside Alagadi village was strewn with all sorts of rubbish including numerous broken beer bottles. The bins were overflowing and didn't appear to have been emptied for a long time. During my walk I stopped and chatted to a number of holidaymakers who thought that whilst the beach was wonderful, the rubbish was really offputting and they wouldn't be returning. The authorities need to act quickly !!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.