North Cyprus Tourist Board - What comes first, paying electricity bill or joining bank for direct debit?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > What comes first, paying electricity bill or joining bank for direct debit?

What comes first, paying electricity bill or joining bank for direct debit?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Additional Costs in North Cyprus

» See All North Cyprus Banks Related Threads posted so far

» See North Cyprus Interest Rates

» See All Electricity in North Cyprus and KIBTEK Related Threads posted so far

kcboro

Message Posted:
01/02/2008 22:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Hi all,

I am coming over next week to tie up a few loose ends and am not sure where to start with my bills.

Its really great to be able to speak to people who have had first hand experience of things and can help us novices

Do I have to pay an electricity bill first and then open a bank account to pay the rest by direct debit or do I go and open a bank account first and pay the first bill that way?

What paperwork do i need to open an account at a bank?

Any recomendations as to which bank is the best

Thanks

Angie

Lozzie

Message Posted:
02/02/2008 17:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Hi kcboro

totally off topic, but how did you go on with your furniture shopping ?

kind regards

lozzie

ukturk

Message Posted:
03/02/2008 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

kcboro

i would say if you have a outstanding electric bill pay it, then open a bank account and then set up a direct debit to pay when the bills are issued, dont forget to have enough funds and also make sure this is in ytl not sterling

im not going to go into great detail about banking because if you use the tags which are at the bottom of the forum main page you will find out exactly what you need!!

but i will say i use hsbc but other posters will say other banks at the end of the day its down to you, to open a bank account all you will need is a copy of your passport and your address either it be in cyprus or the u.k so statements can be sent out to you

hope this helps

regards

ukturk

ukturk

Message Posted:
03/02/2008 13:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

yes lozzie you have totally gone of the suject!!!!

if you look on the main forum page at tage you will see a tag named shopping look there for the info you need

regards

ukturk

spud1

Message Posted:
03/02/2008 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

hi uturk me again i have this week opened an account with hsbc bank in uk with the intentions of opening one with hsbc in north cyprus when i am there next week spud1

ukturk

Message Posted:
03/02/2008 13:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

hi spud

make sure you set up internet banking aswell when you open your turkish hsbc account, and also do this when in the u.k, this way if you ever want to transfer money to cyprus or vicer versa you can do this via the internet and you dont have to thru the hassle of going in to you local bank and also you get charged much less than doing it in person, make sure thou you get all your account details for the cyprus account, address aswell as swift code (id code for the branch)

ukturk

kcboro

Message Posted:
03/02/2008 18:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Thanks all,

ukturk, i am going over to open a bank account on my own this time cos kcboro is working in kazakhstan, and my name is not yet on the deeds of our property.

Will that matter if I give our address in cyprus?

will the bank need proof of my address in Cyprus?

And yes lozzie, we did really well with furniture, within 2 days of being there, we got made to order three seater settees and dining set and beds delivered!

thanks for all your help

Angie

ukturk

Message Posted:
04/02/2008 11:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

hi kc

it dont make any diffrence, sometimes they ask and sometimes they dont, if you are not actually living there give them a u.k address so they can send you statements

hope this helps

regards

ukturk

Biker

Message Posted:
04/02/2008 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Hi Guys

I myself have a Hsbc UK and opned a Hsbc NC account. But unfortunately you cannot transfer money from Uk to NC just by using the Internet Account. If anyboy has been able to achive this either from Uk to NC or vice versa, I would be interested to know about it. At the moment I have to do the transfers by going to a HSBC branch and paying their £21 transfer fee also another fee by the receiving bank, which can vary by it is around £12

Regards

Biker

simbas

Message Posted:
04/02/2008 15:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

hi , now this might be a stupid question , but could you open account in nc ,and then pay into that account with personal cheques on future visits to nc

just a thought simbas

jmg171

Message Posted:
04/02/2008 15:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

We opened our hsbc account last feb.Have not yet been issued with bank cards so cant do internet banking.Was told at hsbc trnc we need to be in trnc to receive our card which takes 7 working days.So hopefully when we are out in march for 10 days we will get our cards then if its timed right!!!!HSBC will not post our cards to uk.Find it very frustrating we I think of they money we could have saved on bank charges

kcboro

Message Posted:
04/02/2008 23:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

thanks ukturk, at least i will be prepared!!

ukturk

Message Posted:
05/02/2008 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

no probs kc

jmg not sure where you got your info from you dont need a bank card to get internet banking, all you do is give a copy of passport and in turn they give a sealed piece of paper with a user id and a password to use for internet banking and also another sealed piece of paper for telephone banking you open this phone the helpline either from home or at the bank to activate your internet banking thats all you do, well thats what i did

and ture it takes a min of 7 working days for your card to come, but once you got ıt you can use your card anywhere even in the u.k as long as you notify the bank you want to use it abroad comes under the visa electron brand

hope this helps

regards

ukturk

JoanneM

Message Posted:
23/07/2010 14:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Can i use my visa electron universal bank online? I have the 3 digit security code on the back. Not just for paying bills but to purchase items online or book flights? If so does this cost and can i use it in other countries?

honestie

Message Posted:
23/07/2010 16:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

I am with halifax in the uk and as far as I know they are the only bank that you can do international transfers with although not sure if north cyprus is covered I know Europe is The only other way is via telephone banking once you have set that up and Banks like HSBC and Garanti you can use your card all over the world not too sure re some of the other banks here . Hope this helps

kaiserphil

Message Posted:
23/07/2010 17:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

I think that as long as you have an IBAN Code and BIC/SWIFT Code there should be no problem either way.

I used to transfer online from my HSBC Kyrenia account to my German account with no problem, except that HSBC imposed some sort of weekly or monthly transfer limit.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.