North Cyprus Tourist Board - shopping in istanbul
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > shopping in istanbul

shopping in istanbul

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

maggymay

Message Posted:
09/04/2009 20:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 24 in Discussion

I'm thinking of going to the cevahir shopping centre in Istanbul but would like to go when the summer sales start does anyone know when their sales start also when their winter sales start.

Thanks

Pixie

Message Posted:
28/05/2009 11:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 24 in Discussion

They are constantly on sale at the moment because of the economic crisis. There are also good factory outlets at yeni bosna which sell brands at reduced prices.

I was travelling to istanbul every weekend till 2 weeks ago and usually popped in to cevahir as it was on my way.

definitly better qauality and cheaper than here.

sloan

Message Posted:
28/05/2009 11:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 24 in Discussion

Sounds interesting. I am there for four days in December. Have been promising myself for 5 years, every time the plane landed in Istanbul that I would stop off there. Pending retirement means that I can now afford the time. I spent 6 weeks in Istanbul in 1973 (before the bridge was built) and have not been since.

Where is this shopping centre? What does it sell?

Any other tips on shopping in Istanbul very welcome.

Pixie

Message Posted:
28/05/2009 12:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 24 in Discussion

The shopping center is in mecidiyekoy. You can get there by metro (it has its own station) or by metrobus. If you let me know which area you are staying in I can tell you how best to get there.

Its a basic shopping center with a food court upstairs and major worlwide shopping brands like debenhams, next, Zara etc.

Its also has a cinema salon.

Its identical to every other shoping center in Istanbul. Some are just slightly more expensive because they cater to more upper market clientel - e.g. kanyon in levent.

I would also suggest istinye park, akmerkez and metro city but to tell you the truth they all have basically the same shops.

Cevahir is the largest of them.

sloan

Message Posted:
28/05/2009 12:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 24 in Discussion

Thank you very much for the information. I am really looking forward to the visit. Haven't booked a hotel yet. Just booked some really cheap Easyjet tickets on Dec 16th. Am waiting for Pegasus winter flights before I book Ercan-Istanbul. Will just google for a hotel, unless any one has suggestions.

Pixie

Message Posted:
28/05/2009 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 24 in Discussion

I think that most hotels do cheaper internet deals. Lots of hotels around the taksim area. 4 stars very nice. I dont have any specific hotels to recommend you. All are basically the same.

But you must be careful whereever you are especially in taksim. Lots of pickpockets etc.

Also about Taxis. There is a day rate and a night rate. The night rate should be after midnight. There is a number on the left hand side of the meter. If it flashes at one and says gunduz every time the price increases that means its the day rate. If its at number 2 and says gece it means the night rate. They also tend to take you on longer trips than necessary. I have the number of a pirate taxi - young guy who lives very close to the airport. I can pass it on to anyone who will need a taxi in istanbul. He is very trustworthy.

There are also Havas buses from the airport to the city center (taksim) every half an hour.

sloan

Message Posted:
28/05/2009 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 24 in Discussion

Thanks for that. Will be in touch later for tel.no.

brend

Message Posted:
28/05/2009 21:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 24 in Discussion

We are going to Istanbul on Wednesday for Four days (stopping off on our way to Cyprus).We are landing at Sabiha Gokcen. We are arriving at About 18.20 and are staying near The Grand Baazaar. Any ideas on the best way from airport to Hotel and if its by Taxi a rough cost?

Brend

Pixie

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 08:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 24 in Discussion

Thats peak hour traffic so you might as well catch the havas bus. Sabiha gokcen is very far out of Istanbul. I wouldnt know the price of a taxi but I would say it would be very expensive.

This is the official site info in english with a contact number :

http://www.havas.com.tr/en/otobus_istanbul_saw.asp

You could also catch a normal iett bus but the havas ones are much more comfier.

Havas will take you to taksim. From there you will need to get to kapali carsi which is the grand bazaar. You could catch another bus, its not very far, But if you want to catch a taxi you will need to go in the direction of eminonu. I reccomend catching a cab from a good taxi stop. the marmara hotel is just behind the havas stop. you could go there and ask for one. I dont think it would cost more than 15 lira max.

You could also try bargaining with the taxi driver and tell him what you want to pay BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT CHANGE IN YOUR POCKET.

otherwise you might not get the ch

brend

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 15:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 24 in Discussion

Thanks for that Pixie

really helpful and will take your advice

Brend

david9

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 18:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 24 in Discussion

How nice to see some really helpul /positive advice on this board to people who require it-----this is how it should be all the time, need I say more?

Trudy

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 18:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 24 in Discussion

Sabiha Gokcen airport in on the asian side of istanbul. Ataturk is on the european side. Pixie is right in saying its peak traffic time and it could take you ages in a taxi. Your best bet would be to take the Metro bus. Its a new line which was finally constructed end of last year and it has its own separate road so avoids all the traffic, which by the way is horrendus! If you go with normal bus or taxi it could take well over an hour.

I cant think which stop would be closet to sabiha gokcen but you can find out at the airport. The metro will take you all the way to Mecediyekoy which is on the european side and as it passes through all the traffic, should only take you 30 mins tops. However, be warned, it will be chockablock! They run every 3-4 minutes though. From there you can take a taxi to Taksim and then you can take a taxi to your hotel.

Pixie

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 18:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 24 in Discussion

Does the metrobus operate to sabiha gokcen ?

I will check it out and let you know.

But its not worth it to go to taxim and then the hotel. If you can catch the metrobus, you should get off at zincirlikuyu or mecidiyekoy and then catch a taxi directly to sultanahmet- where your hotel is located.

Pixie

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 18:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 24 in Discussion

I was unable to find a link on google or yahoo.

Im not aware if the metrobus actually goes to sabiha gokcen or not, but I will ask my husband (Who is an istanbul native) when he comes home from work.

There is some sort of underground or metro system but Im not sure of it because I never used it.

I will post later tonight or tomorrow.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Transport/gokcen2ataturk.html

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Transport/s_gokcen_transport.html

For a random taxi from the taxi line, the daytime fare may be about YTL75 to Taksim Square, YTL85 to YTL100 to Sirkeci or Sultanahmet,

from Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen (SAW)

to Sultanahmet (Istanbul - Turkey)

Just one way. KM: 60

Trudy

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 18:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 24 in Discussion

It doesnt have a stop at Sabiha Gokcen like it does at Ataturk but im thinking there must be a stop close to it though i could be wrong.

Pixie

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 19:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 24 in Discussion

I used the metrobus since it started and it really is horrendus.

You do save time but its packed, theres nowhere to sit and There are many pickpockets on the buses.

Normally at least 3-4 go by before you can even get on one and people tend to push and shove you out of the way.

Im nearly 8 months pregnant and I was getting jostled all the time. Noone even gave me a place to sit.

You could always catch an iett istanbul bus which would take roughly the same time as the havas - but havas is a luxury coach. They store your suitcases below and you get airconditioning and comfy seats. I think the actual ticket price is 10 lira per head.

Trudy

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 19:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 24 in Discussion

On second thoughts, getting to kadikoy would be a good idea, then taking one of the ferry boats to eminonu which is close to the grand bazaar.

Forget the metrobus!!!

God my help is useless innit!

But im sticking to this way now! Getting to kadikoy is defo the best bet. Beats the traffic by taking the ferry too.

Pixie

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 24 in Discussion

there is info about getting to kadikoy and eminonu on the links I posted.

My husband says that iett also have airconditioning.

Trudy

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 24 in Discussion

It is horrible isnt it!!! Though getting to and from work with it saves loads of time in the morning! Cant imagine it would be pleasant when 8 months pregnant though! Hope people stood up and gave you a seat!!

phylray

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 20:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 24 in Discussion

I used the metrobus for first time last month when visiting and found it

great! Not so crowded as the old buses used to be and my Turkish friend and

I got seats quite soon. Great improvement on what we had when I worked there

in early 90's, and so cheap.

Bakirkoy is good for shopping too.

Pixie

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 20:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 24 in Discussion

depends on what time you catch them.

normally there are three types of metrobuses.

avcilar-topkapi 34t

avcilar to zincirlikuyu 34

avcilar -asian side 34 A

but only one bus coming from the asian side to the european side.

and out of 50 times on the bus I would say I got offered a seat 2 times and both by males

Now back in Cyprus and prolly not going back to work in Istanbul so I dont need to worry abput the metrobus problem again.

I would say the metrobuses are much better than transport in the 90s but the normal bus lines have been discontinued in order to encourage use of the metrobuses so it is rather a tight squeeze especially in peak hour traffic.

Istanbul has changed a lot since the 90s-transport has vastly improved.

Graysonilop

Message Posted:
02/07/2009 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 24 in Discussion

Visit Istanbul, There are many night clubs, pubs, restaurants and taverns with live music in the city. The night clubs, restaurants and bars increase in number and move to open air spaces in the summer.

The areas around Istiklal Avenue and Nişantaşı offer all sorts of cafés, restaurants, pubs and clubs as well as art galleries, theaters and cinemas. Babylon and Nu Pera in Beyoğlu are popular night clubs both in the summer and in the winter. [URL=" http://www.istanbulbooker.com/"]Istanbul[/URL]

Brinsley

Message Posted:
02/07/2009 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 24 in Discussion

Nothing wrong with metro-buses! Try living in Paris for ten years and navigating the Metropolitan!

Richard

kathsj

Message Posted:
02/07/2009 16:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 24 in Discussion

Try taking the bus to Kadikoy, try to get the fast one and then the ferry across. Much more fun. If you opt to take a taxi remember the return journey will cost a lot more than the outward so try a car service for the return, Have used istanbulairportservice in past. Good car reliable, remeber they usually quote euros.

Kath

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.