North Cyprus Tourist Board - Coalition government will be formed in Northern Cyprus after elections
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Coalition government will be formed in Northern Cyprus after elections

Coalition government will be formed in Northern Cyprus after elections

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
16/04/2009 17:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

16 April 2009 | 16:25 | FOCUS News Agency

Nicosia. The ruling party in Northern Cyprus will probably lose the parliamentary elections on Sunday, April 19th, iKypros informs.

Currently, Republican Turkish Party, which was chaired by incumbent President Mehmet Ali Talat for years, is governing the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, which is recognized by Ankara only.

Opinion polls show that the winner in the elections will be the rightist conservative National Unity Party, which will return actively on the political arena. The polls give a regulatory role to the Freedom and Reform Party, which is backed up by the party of the Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan. It is almost certain that it will participate in the future coalition government.

Continued:

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
16/04/2009 17:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Although National Unity Party will probably win the elections, it would not have enough support to form a single-party government. It is expected that the party will ask for the support of Freedom and Reform Party and Politics for People Movement, a party that has similar ideology on the Cyprus issue.

AJ

rocking

Message Posted:
16/04/2009 18:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

I do not that the Freedom and Reform Party (ORP) is made up from MPs that defected from the UBP (think 3 of them) 2 from DP and went off to Turkey one day to meet Erdogan came back here and next thing joined became coalition with the CTP which is very, very left wing. I know that during some of the debates that have been on TV, UBP will not share a platform with ORP members as they feel that they 'did the dirty on them' after visiting Erdogan then coming back and going in with the left. Let us see what happens Sunday, could be if UBP do not get the 26 seats DP may be invited to join them.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
16/04/2009 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

RE msg 3, rocking > if UBP do not get the 26 seats DP may be invited to join them. <

=> Let's hope so. I don't think that TRNC needs this party of defectors, ÖRP, in government again. I've always hated political turncoats.

elko2

Message Posted:
17/04/2009 12:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

I would hate to see UBP back in power. They "ruled" this country for years by a system of favours rather than principles. They may come out of the elections as he biggest party but I hope they will not take part in the coalition to follow.

Whatever the results, Eroglu and UBP will have a hard time ahead dealing with criminal proceedings against them wrt their activities in the past years i.e. including Ergenekon and some emmbezlements.

ismet

ajaney

Message Posted:
17/04/2009 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

What are the policies of the National United Party

elko2

Message Posted:
17/04/2009 12:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Their policy is not to give an inch back to the Greek Cypriots but very professional in giving them to their own supporters. They are great believers in "You scratch my back and I will scratch yours".

ismet

Aussie

Message Posted:
17/04/2009 13:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

I find Ismet's perspectives on the parties to be very interesting and it does seem unfortunate if the choice of the TRNC voters boils down to either a CTP or UBP dominated government.

Why have so many voters who must have voted CTP last time swung completely back to the other side of the political spectrum in voting UBP rather than supporting other parties in the middle ?

It would seem that both of these parties have major problems in government so surely it would be more logical to vote for third parties who could form a coalition government. Surely they couldn't do any worse ?

Aussie

Amber

Message Posted:
17/04/2009 13:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

How long does it take before the results of the elections are known? Is it the next day or does it take longer?

If the UBP get in does this see the end of the talks?

elko2

Message Posted:
17/04/2009 14:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

We will have a very good indication of the end result by 11 pm.

ismet

charb

Message Posted:
17/04/2009 16:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

>> How long does it take before the results of the elections are known? Is it the next day or does it take longer? <<

Generally, the results next day is somewhat the same as the results at, say, 8 pm. But this time, "somewhat" is very important, because it seems CTP and UBP will have close percentages.

I hope CTP will be the first party, though they had mistakes while governing. UBP has no vision, no projects, nothing. DP and ORP are not different. None of these parties have a vision for a solution to Cyprus problem.

Everyone should admit that:

- the current political, economical and social situation is not sustainable in the long run

- for a possible solution, the only thing negotiable in our hand is the land. We will give some land and take recognition, direct flights, investments, etc.

- No one but CTP has this vision.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.