North Cyprus Tourist Board - car tax at the border
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > car tax at the border

car tax at the border

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

» Read about Additional Costs in North Cyprus

bjrice

Message Posted:
17/04/2009 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

can anyone explain what this is and if we have to pay for it.

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
17/04/2009 20:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

If you are meaning the car road tax you need to travel on the south side:

Yes you do need it

No it doesn't cost anything (or at least it didn't 2 months ago)

You must have your car log book with you, I also took our driving licences but can't remember whether they took any notice of them or not but they did for the insurance.

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
17/04/2009 20:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Car Tax is just as it suggests, an annual tax on a vehicle to allow it to used within the country that issues it. It is a necessity as being caught without it risk a fine or imprisonment.

You are also legally obliged to buy insurance too, as being caught without it risks a fine or imprisonment too.

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
04/05/2009 09:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Do you need up to date TRNC car tax, to renew the ROC car tax?

I need to renew mine, but I have been reliably informed (if that is at all possible) that this new Government will drastically reduce the duty. So I was told not to buy it yet, but wait.

I was also informed that there is no legal obligation to buy TRNC car tax. If you do not buy it, you will incur a small interest charge (10% I believe), but again, there is no obligation to pay this either. Also, unlike the UK, you can purchase insurance without car tax.

If you ever need to transfer the car to someone else, all the back tax, plus the interest, must be paid first.

Is all the above true?

waddo

Message Posted:
04/05/2009 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Be careful with TRNC car tax! There is no such thing as SORN here and it can cost you dear if you make a mistake.

If you wish to park up your car and not use it for a couple of years then fine, you would think that you would not have to pay the tax and you would be correct. HOWEVER, when you go to re-tax the car you will have to pay all of the back tax owed plus stoppage tax plus a fine for not paying it in the first place. As an indication of how much let us say your tax is 1000TL a year. Not paid for two years and then taxed again - you now owe 1000 for year 1 + 1000 for year 2 + 1000 for the current year. 3000Tl plus stoppage of 300TL plus the fine of 50% of the tax owed for each year missed which would equal another 1000TL. So a nice round cost of 4300TL to catch up with the tax can be expected. I have done this by the way and only last year as well so unless the law has changed it remains the same. Another thing to bear in mind is that.......

waddo

Message Posted:
04/05/2009 10:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

If a car has not been taxed for over three years you stand a very high chance of having to re-register the vehicle all over again. Not sure if this means new import tax as well but it certainly costs you to re-register and of course there is always the stoppage tax to pay no matter what happens.

If you transfer ownership of the car to somebody else then you have to pay it all plus the transfer fee of around 260TL as well.

And you thought it was hard to buy a car here? Try getting rid of one when the tax and mot has run out for a year or two - now that is a nightmare.

You need to be very careful when buying second hand in making sure that all the documentation is correct and up to date or you can end up paying more in back tax than you did for the car. Good luck.

My tax is due in September so I hope the government gets its act together by then!!!

pinkchilli

Message Posted:
04/05/2009 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Thanks Waddo

I will still wait a little while.

But, do I need TRNC car tax, to be able to renew my ROC car tax?

Geoff

Message Posted:
04/05/2009 11:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

What plates is your vehicle on, ROC, TRNC, or other (e.g. UK)?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.