North Cyprus Tourist Board - What are benefits of residency, or renewing every 3 months?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > What are benefits of residency, or renewing every 3 months?

What are benefits of residency, or renewing every 3 months?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Residence Permits

» Read about Work Permits

juliachcc

Message Posted:
19/04/2009 00:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Hi there everyone

Just a couple of questions that I hope somebody will be able to answer for me.

What is the total cost for residency per year?

Can you still have your British passport? Thsi may seem a daft question, but I am really not sure....

What are the benefits of residency? Please list.

What is the alternative to residency - stay for the 3 months and renew? How expensive is it to do this? Are we talking nipping over to ROC or taking a ferry to Turkey to get your passport stamped, or do you have to go further afield? Would you do this indefinantly?

All info will be greatly appreciated - this really is quite a grey area for me!

Geoff

Message Posted:
19/04/2009 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

I'll be equally interested to see what replies you get to this one. Residence Permits, which include a full Medical and Financial Statement, are an annual requirement - and this is not a cheap exercise. It puts many prospective residents off buying a retirement property here. I don't know of any other Country in the worls where renewal is annual - and I have lived in 64 of them!

Geoff

scruffdog

Message Posted:
19/04/2009 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

If you apply for residency you will be living here legally, if you are caught without this and have stayed here for over 3 months you could be deported. The 'medical' is just a blood test which costs approx 100tl and is for first year only. I think the cost is 170tl approx per annum for residency. The only way you can get an extension to your visa is a visit to the local police station, I think this can only be done once. Going to the south does not constitute leaving the country to renew visa. A visit to Turkey or further afield will. It used to be for 24hrs but this may have changed.

ianwfs

Message Posted:
19/04/2009 11:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

If you leave and return every 3 months, you'll probably get away with it, but you'd be crazy to take the risk. A few points to remember.

The 3 months visa, although standard is the maximum, and is optional. I've known it to be as little as 2 days.

If you come in as a visitor, and can show no means of supporting yourself on your "holiday", and no return ticket, you could be refused entry.

If you are seen to have property here, your "ins and outs" will be checked. If they think you are bucking the system, you will be fined and probably be deported. You may not be allowed to return.

All this to save £75 and a day of your time every year. Don't even consider it.

Ian

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
19/04/2009 11:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Now what are the drawbacks of residency..if there are any!

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
19/04/2009 18:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Like everything here, nothing appears definitive about getting a renewed 90 day visa at crossing to South. However Head of immigration stated on front page of CT a couple of months ago that this practice will be stopped. Could be likened to brining cars in, people have been gettinag away without paying import duties for some time. Now C&E have clamped down and cars are being confiscated with no right of appeal all over the country.

To answer another question from msg 1, of course you maintian and need to renew appropriatly your UK passport. Your residency stamp is placed in your passport.

Personally would rather be safe than sorry. If you fall foul of immigration and you have a home here you will not be allowed back to sort out issues. Which I think answers Dee's question above ie the drawbacks of residency are irrelevant, if there are any that is, cos not having it could be disastrous.

halffull

Message Posted:
19/04/2009 19:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Very helpful, thank you. So to get it right, we have to apply for residency, which includes a medical first time round and costs TL100 then TL170 for 12 months residency. The annual renewal will cost TL170 but no further Medicals? Initially it will cost a couple TL540 with an anual outlay of TL350, is that correct?

juliachcc

Message Posted:
19/04/2009 23:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Thankyou for all replies - the "grey" has cleared a little, and it is not so expensive as I first thought. However, as Geoff pointed out, 64 countries he has lived in.......that's a lot of travelling Geoff.

Yes halffull - I think you have summarised that well.

Julia

laptagal

Message Posted:
20/04/2009 00:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

But, isn't the down side (if you are British) that if you are resident in another country, you give up your right to NHS and that you don't get the annual increase in your pension?

halffull

Message Posted:
20/04/2009 00:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Hi Laptagal, I'm no expert but I am led to believe you retain all your rights within the eu and also certain other counties are granted the same accord and I read somewhere Turkey was one of them, and I believe TRNC is classed as Turkey? I have no doubt someone on the forum has the definitive answer. The other answer is to retain an address within the UK.

croft

Message Posted:
20/04/2009 03:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

My understanding is that a UK state pension will be frozen at the current level (ie will be paid but not increased in future), if you declare yourself to be resident in Northern Cyprus. It may be that this will change but I would be surprised if anyone who is already non-resident will benefit.

nostradamus

Message Posted:
20/04/2009 07:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

The UK tate pension is not frozen when you live in TRNC - you will get the increases. You won't get your heating allowance though!

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
20/04/2009 07:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Retain a uk address to overcome any pension queries.

If you leave uk for more than 3 months, I have been told that you lose the right to NHS medical service.

There was an article in a newspaper last year with a guy living abroad, went to UK for medical treatment and whilst in hospital mentioned that he lived abroad since retiring then got hit with a medical bill.

He was taking this to court but there has been no report as yet of the outcome.

scruffdog

Message Posted:
20/04/2009 10:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Julia

The positives to being a resident are, you get into castles etc at a reduced rate, if you show you are a resident, and the pharmacy in Catalkoy opposite Flippers fish restaurant gives a discount on prescription medicine if you show you live here.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.