North Cyprus Tourist Board - Schools in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Schools in North Cyprus

Schools in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

Goonerboy

Message Posted:
02/05/2009 22:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

My son is currently at the primary school at GAU. Next year he will move out of Primary School and into year 6. To date, I've yet to hear a nice thing about the so called college at GAU (still can't get my head round the concept of college starting when a child is 10).

I've looked at the the English School Of Kyr'na but to be fair a) Can't see it being finished (building) and b) feel it will need a year or two to get through the teething problems it will face.

That then leaves Sunny Lane, Near East, or the local schools all in Turkish.

Where would people recommend?

cheers

Les&Tasha

Message Posted:
02/05/2009 22:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Intresting comment about GAU. Did your son enjoy primary school there? We are visiting 5 schools in May. See our earlier topic. There are alternatives in Nicosia eg.

Highgate School

The Grammer School

American Academy

American International

May mean a long day but educationally these schools appear better than the alternatives in the North. After we have visited we will post our findings.

Cyprusraider

Message Posted:
04/05/2009 13:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Finding an appropriate school for one's children is Soooo difficult in the North BUT we , my wife and I, do not consider the schools in the South an option. It becomes a very very long day and discrimination is rife. So what to do about this awful situation?. Lot's of tuition at home whilst trying to chose the best school from among a drab lot indeed. The old Turk Maarif Kolej's used to be excellent, especially the Nicosia school but our child is too young. Started secondary school this year. IF they go back to teaching in English then they will certainly be a great choice.

If schools in the South are an option for you then message No 2 failed to mention The English School in Nicosia.

canyavuz

Message Posted:
04/05/2009 21:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Local Turkish schools may be the best option (my opinion).

The trnc government is planning on introducing longer school hours (to around 4:00), and a pilot test is taking place at a school in Lefkosa. If it proves to work, then local Turkish schools will ne very ppopular, as the most off putting thing about these schools at the moment are the short school hours.

Les&Tasha

Message Posted:
04/05/2009 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Re Message 3

We agree about the travel situation. Getting to the ledra palace checkpoint by 7.15 is going to be very difficult if you live on the coast. I have heard about this discrimination issue but no parent has yet .commented from personal experience. I will discuss this matter with the school principals. Quite frankly if I am paying Euro 1000 per month then the school has a BIG problem if they don't deliver excellent service. We are business people - we know how to control suppliers via accounts payable !

Education in Turkish is not an option for us. The children will never get the grades to go to American or English university unless they are educated in English. There is also a culural difference in the way girls are raised in Turkish schools - even expensive private schools. This is our personal decision. Yours might be otherwise. We mean no offence

Pixie

Message Posted:
05/05/2009 09:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Even though we havent been here long, I have been gathering information about schools for our boy who will hopefully start school when he is 3 years old.

I don't agree that education will become full day in state schools. This would be wonderful for most people living here but the teachers union is too powerful, they are earning good wages and working a half day, they can then continue teaching private group lessons and earn that much more. They go on strike and refuse to work a full day when ever talks arise. They also get a fully paid 3 month holiday in the summer not to mention a winter break.I have looked into the state school offering the pilot program-It is all play in the afternoon so for parents like ourselves its just a waste of time. I dont believe that a child can get a basic education level 5 mornings a week.

Private Turkish schools are a different matter. I have one brother who graduated from the maarif college when it was at its peak- Even though it was only a half

Pixie

Message Posted:
05/05/2009 09:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

he got a decent education but we complemented that with extra courses, private lessons and sports. Both my parents are teachers so they basically sat with him and did programs in the afternoons. He got into his first choice of uni in Turkey- then continued with a masters degree in London. Now he has a scholarship and doing his phd at his first choice.

My younger brother was educated at near east college. He got into universities in the U.K U.S and Turkey. I would say he got a very decent education but because he was one of the first children to study there he became spoilt. His personality developed differently to ours. He places too much emphasis on material things, He doesn't have very close friends and is distrustful of people.He is now finishing his masters degree in the UK and will probably continue to do his doctorate.

These of course are our personal experiences. Our plan is to put our own child in the english school of kyrenia, then the english school in Nicosia if he c

Tuttut

Message Posted:
05/05/2009 09:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Our child goes to Sunny Lane, he has been there since he was 3 years old and he is enjoying it very much. I would suggest having a look at the school to see what you think.

I do agree with the other people on the board aout the schools in the south as it does become a very long day for them.

Pixie

Message Posted:
05/05/2009 09:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

if he can pass the entry test which I have heard is basically in english to make sure that the child will be able to complete the tasks required.

There have been many articles in newspapers on the greek side regarding the problems of the english school, and quite a few clashes with turkish and greek cypriot children. But from what I have learned, the teaching staff and principal are not biased and the whole system seems fair.

So I do agree with Les and Tasha about the cultural side- but children generally do get accepted into very good universities abroad because they get a very good education at near east college.

What we are now worried about is 0-3

But I think I will set up a playgroup because I haven't found anything halfway decent - the classes are too big, not enough teachers and very bad programs. We are not looking for somewhere that will turn on the tv, feed the children and put them to sleep in the afternoon.

Everyone has their own requirements.

Pixie

Message Posted:
05/05/2009 09:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Tuttut,

just a question

I called sunnylane to ask them about their preschool group. They told me they had 40 kids and two teachers in one classroom with no division of ages. Is this true?

Do they follow a prgram? Are the teachers qualified? Are they both native speakers of english?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.