North Cyprus Tourist Board - Quotes on events of 1974
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Quotes on events of 1974

Quotes on events of 1974

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See Up and Comings Events in TRNC on North Cyprus Events Calendar

» Read about Cyprus History

daffodils

Message Posted:
06/05/2009 11:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Turkish Cypriots appealed to the Guarantor powers for help, but only Turkey was willing to make any effective response. The Greek newspaper Eleftherotipia published an interview with Nicos Sampson on 26th February 1981 in which he said "Had Turkey not intervened I would not only have proclaimed ENOSIS - I would have annihilated the Turks in Cyprus."

Even Greek Cypriots sought Turkey's help. In her memoirs, Greek Cypriot MP Rina Katselli, says "16th July 1974 Is Makarios alive? Is he dead? The Makarios supporters arrested, the EOKA-B supporters freed... I did not shed a tear, why should I? Did the stupidity and fanaticism deserve a tear? There are some who beg Turkey to intervene. They prefer the intervention of Turkey." 18th July 1974 "My God!... Everyone is frozen with fear...the old man who asked for the body of his son was shot on the spot..The tortures and executions at the central prison... everyone is frozen with horror. Nothing is sacred to these people, and they call themsel

Littlenige

Message Posted:
06/05/2009 11:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Makarios quotes

on 5 January 1962. On 15 August 1962, in Kykko monastery, he reiterated that Enosis was his aim and said:

"Greek Cypriots must continue to march forward to complete the work began by the EOKA heroes."

He also made the following provocative remark at his native village of Panayia on 4 September 1962:

"Until this small Turkish community that forms part of the Turkish race which has been the terrible enemy of Hellenism is expelled, the duty to the heroes of EOKA cannot be considered as terminated."

In 1962, Polykarpos Yorkadjis, Minister of Interior, declared that:

"There is no place in Cyprus for anyone who is not Greek, who does not think Greek and who does not constantly feel Greek."

Meanwhile, the Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation regularly broadcast virulently anti-Turkish plays. In one play, a mother asks her son what her son wants to become; the boy replies:

- "a hero."

When she asks him,:

- "What will you bring to us?",

he answers:

Littlenige

Message Posted:
06/05/2009 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

- "I am going to bring seven Turkish heads

In fact the Akritas plan, published by Greek Cypriot newspaper Patris on 21 April 1966, was a clear proof of the fact that Greek Cypriot side deliberately tried to prove the constitution as unworkable and to replace it with a settlement in order to re-open the way to Enosis. It was disclosed that Archbishop Makarios had assumed responsibility for the implementation of the plan and he had appointed Polycarpos Georkadjis to be the "Chief Akritas". In an interview with the Italian journalist Oriana Fallaci, Makarios said how Ioannides (a Greek officer in the Greek contingent on Cyprus) and Nikos Sampson, a bloody EOKA terrorist leader responsible from the "execution squads" of EOKA, came to him one day in 1964 and told:

"Your Beatitude, here is my project. To attack the Turkish Cypriots on the island, and eliminate them to the last one [5]."

Littlenige

Message Posted:
06/05/2009 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

A quote by Greek Cypriot Defense Minister, Mr. Alonetis, on 11 March 1989:

"At the first opportunity we get, the Greek Cypriot National Guard will attack and regain by force of arms our occupied lands."

Hmmm I wonder why the turkish troops remain ..............

newscoop

Message Posted:
06/05/2009 12:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

6m`s a bit quiet on this is he not?

daffodils

Message Posted:
06/05/2009 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

More Massacres of Turkish Cypriots

In the village of Tokhni on 14th August 1974 all the Turkish Cypriot men between the ages of 13 and 74, except for eighteen who managed to escape, were taken away and shot. (Times, Guardian, 21st August)

In Zyyi on the same day all the Turkish-Cypriot men aged between 19 and 38 were taken away by Greek-Cypriots and were never seen again. On the same day Greek-Cypriots opened fire in the Turkish-Cypriot neighbourhood of Paphos killing men, women, and children indiscriminately. On 23rd July 1974 the Washington Post reported "In a Greek raid on a small Turkish village near Limassol 36 people out of a population of 200 were killed. The Greeks said that they had been given orders to kill the inhabitants of the Turkish villages before the Turkish forces arrived." (See also Times, Guardian, 23rd July).

"The Greeks began to shell the Turkish quarter on Saturday, refugees said. Kazan DerviÕs, a Turkish Cypriot girl aged 15, said she had been staying w

daffodils

Message Posted:
06/05/2009 12:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

said. Kazan DerviÕs, a Turkish Cypriot girl aged 15, said she had been staying with her uncle. The (Greek Cypriot) National Guard came into the Turkish sector and shooting began. She saw her uncle and other relatives taken away as prisoners, and later heard her uncle had been shot." (Times 23.7.74)

"Before my uncle was taken away by the soldiers, he shouted to me to run away. I ran to the streets, and the soldiers were shooting all the time. I went into a house and I saw a woman being attacked by soldiers. They were raping her. Then they shot her in front of my eyes. I ran away again and Turkish Cypriot men and women looked after me. They were escaping as well. They broke holes in the sides of houses, so we could get away without going into the streets. There were lots of women and children screaming, and soldiers were firing at us all the time."

daffodils

Message Posted:
06/05/2009 12:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

On 28th July the New York Times reported that 14 Turkish-Cypriot men had been shot in Alaminos. On 24th July 1974 "France Soir" reported "The Greeks burned Turkish mosques and set fire to Turkish homes in the villages around Famagusta. Defenceless Turkish villagers who have no weapons live in an atmosphere of terror and they evacuate their homes and go and live in tere a shame to humanity."

On 22nd July Turkish Prime Minister Ecevit called upon the UN to "stop the genocide of Turkish-Cypriots" and declared "Turkey has accepted a cease-fire, but will not allow Turkish-Cypriots to be massacred" (Times 23rd July). At the beginning of the Second Geneva Conference he said "A solution which is not based on geographical separation will not work. It is out of the question for us to entrust the safety of the Turkish Cypriots to the Greeks, who cannot even rule themselves. The areas around the Turkish forces are being mined, and the Turkish Cypriot villages are still under siege."

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.