North Cyprus Tourist Board - Estate agent stories good and bad
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Estate agent stories good and bad

Estate agent stories good and bad

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» List of North Cyprus Estate Agents

» See All North Cyprus Estate Agent Related Threads

simma

Message Posted:
18/02/2008 23:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 43 in Discussion

Hi everyone, i bought through remax and have heard almost nothing from them in eight months since handing over my deposit. As an international franchise i thought i was buying through a quality agent but i'm afraid would look elsewhere if i was to do it again. Anyone have any experiences to share?

John.

Bradus

Message Posted:
19/02/2008

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 43 in Discussion

Hi John,

had a similar experience but with a different Estate Agent. Promised all sorts but once we had visited the solicitor and signed on the dotted line never saw him again. Didn't answer E-mails or respond to messages left. Luckily we have a superb builder and together with his wife, they have been an excellent support network and provided us with all the help we could have wished for. I was initially disappointed with the lack of input from the estate agent but on reflection, it helped us work more in partnership with the builder and his wife and improved our relationship with them. So turned out quite positive after all. Hope you have the same experience. Has your building started and who will you be paying the stage payments too? I was totally against handing money over to the Estate Agent and I did wonder if this was the reason contact stopped.

simma

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 00:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 43 in Discussion

Hi Bradus, builder gave a lot of cosmetic promises which he did not keep. I don't mind too much about that as the villa we have bought is excellent anyway. However buying off plan surely should enable the purchaser to slightly change things as the build takes place. My requests have fallen on deaf ears and we will be left to change certain things after the build is complete. Stage payments went through my solicitor who up till now has been fine but I've found out recently he was the lawyer of the gary rob debacle. The builder I'm dealing with rang me up a month ago and asked if I would buy or knew anyone who wanted to buy a villa on another development close to where mine is being built at a discount. If I had been treated a little better maybe I would of considered it or spread the news to others but the way things stand I wouldn't bother. I'm trying not to winge to much however, like I said before the villa is already of a very high standard.

John.

Bradus

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 00:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 43 in Discussion

Well thats good news. Although its frustrating to experience these problems, its good to know you have a villa built to a high standard. This has to be the most important factor out of a long list of priorities. Hope you are enjoying your time in your new home and all the best.

Bradus.

simma

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 00:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 43 in Discussion

cheers bradus, where did you buy?

John.

Bradus

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 00:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 43 in Discussion

Apartment in Ozankoy. Will be taking our first holiday there in April. Really looking forward to it. Still working on the furnishing but almost there.

simma

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 00:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 43 in Discussion

Excellent, Esentepe for us. Will need white goods and furniture, any info on good furniture shops?

Bradus

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 00:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 43 in Discussion

Did them all much to husbands disgust. Liked Olguns as they have packages of furniture where you can mix and match. So you could buy the more expensive for your master bedroom but economise with the spare bedroom furniture. They also have some very contemporary furniture. Homefront, Frisko's, Botanicas sell mainly iron furniture so restrictive if you don't like this. Torus good for packages too. I'm obviously fussy because I bought furniture from all over and wherever we went found staff very friendly and helpful. Must say furniture was more expensive than I had thought it would be. Electrical stuff very expensive. Bring your own kettle, toaster and iron. You will save money and have more choice.

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 10:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 43 in Discussion

You really would expect Estate Agents to ensure that the properties they sell on behalf of the builders/developers had all the paperwork in order and, more importantly, that they own the land. When builders and landowners are not one in the same then problems can start.

We have an apartment in Girne and we'll never have the kocan unless all 6 apartments pay the landowner £30,000 each.

We were never told the builder didn't own the land, we just assumed and we were also stupid in not asking the question. So a 50/50 fault, I think.

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 11:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 43 in Discussion

Hi Simma

Problems will always arise when purchasing in one country and living in another. We drew up the plans for our house with the help of an architect and gave them to our builder. There were a few things the builder didn't like so he changed them. Consequently our house looks nothing like the plans we drew up, rooms different sizes, even different position. But saying that he added things we didn't ask for, ie attic space, access to the roof via windows in the attic so it was give and take. After the initial shock we thought what the hell. When we look out from our windows and see the views we have it doesn't really matter what the interior design is like. We've learnt to live and come to love it.

Karen

ukturk

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 43 in Discussion

hi guys

the problem is like turkey the housing sector is not properley regulated if not at all, so any tom, dick or mustafa can sell you a property

and because of the boom over the last few years agents have been popping up left right and centre, the year before they was working in burger city and now this year they are a estate agent!!!!

what agents fail to see (not all of them before anyone starts) its not just about being there for buyer until they get their commision from the seller, its being there from the signing of the contracts till the keys are handed over and kocan has been exchanged, they supposed to act as the go between the developer/seller and the buyer and they are the first point of contact but some agents have not got the buyers best interest at heart cos they are not getting paid by the buyer which is wrong!!!!

anyone can sell a house but its when things go wrong shows how good a agent is by resolving the issue and making sure the buyer and seller are happy,this is what seperates the good agent and the wannabe cowboy agent!!!

for me because i have had dealings with them is donaghy and beyler, little villa company

regards

ukturk

AbbyG

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 13:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 43 in Discussion

ukturk:

You've actually brought to my attention an important fact, and that is that the SELLER pays the estate agent's fee, not the buyer. I can't believe I have not even thought of that, I just assumed I'd be paying the fees, as the buyer, which is a very nice and unexpected surprise (unless I'm being really dense, and both the buyer and seller split the fees???).

Wilsonian

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 13:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 43 in Discussion

Dear John, This is an all too common occurence with some agents on the island, you would have thought they would be keen to keep you happy so they can complete your sale and get their commision. I, like UkTurk can only comment on the professional agents that i have dealt with - Donaghy and Beyler. They epitomise professionalism. From the moment you make an enquiry with them, you are automatically placed onto their database, they then send you up to date relevant details of current news and properties that suit your criteria and if you are selling a property with them , you are sent a vendors report every month automatically updating you with how many hits, viewings and enquiries your property has had. They also have a designated after sales team who keep you in touch after you have paid your deposit, and are in the hands of the solicitors etc. Recommendations only come by word of mouth, so as far as im concerned get on to Remax, get your deposit back and call lindsay at D&B to help you out and leave you feeling rest assured.

ukturk

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 43 in Discussion

hi abby

im glad i made your day!!!!

no in cyprus only the seller pay the agent fees and its not split between the seller and the buyer, unless for instance you are buying a place well under the market value then the seller might say for the agents costs to be sheared or payed fully by the buyer

if any of you to go to donaghy and beyler see a woman named gonul caglar she is one of the managers and mention my name erkan she will look after you her number is +90 533 868 4711 or office number +90 392 815 8681/ 8882

regards

ukturk

AbbyG

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 14:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 43 in Discussion

Hi Erkan:

Great bit of news. I was obviously thinking it was the same as in Turkey. Also, very happy that D & G are getting so many good recommendations as I have an appointment to meet with them next week. So far they have been very prompt about answering all my emails, so feel confident and hopeful that their professionalism will continue.

Starting to get very excited now!!! Only 2 more working days before I fly out to NC .......... (not that I'm counting, or anything ......)

Cheers

Abby

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 43 in Discussion

Abby

Good luck and have a super time.

Karen

AbbyG

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 15:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 43 in Discussion

Thank you Karen. Problem is, I think I'm going to have SUCH a good time I won't want to come back! Will post my experience as soon as I get back to Libya.

Cheers

Abby

simbas

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 15:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 43 in Discussion

safe journey abbyg , hope everything goes well for you , enjoy your time in nc

regards pat

ukturk

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 16:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 43 in Discussion

hi abby

yeah its not like turkey where the buyer pays 3% and the seller pays 3%, so you got a bonus there then!!!!

when i told you to contact donaghy and beyler did you contact gonul is you appointment with her by any chance

anyway i hope you have a safe trip and find what you are looking for

regards

erkan

simma

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 20:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 43 in Discussion

Cheers all. I've e-mailed remax with some questions and await with a response. I'll post it tomorrow.

John.

ukturk

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 43 in Discussion

simma

i might be able to help, speak to a woman called pelin tell her you are a friend of mine and you told me about your woes and i was very disappointed to hear what was going on, tell her im asking her if she can do anything to help you out!!!

see if you get anything from that mate

regards

ukturk (erkan)

raybo

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 22:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 43 in Discussion

hi simma, i to am buying through remax, the lady dealing with me is as ukturk said pelin, she has been great with us phone calls to england to give me updates how things are going lots of emails goes all the time to our villa to take latest pictures,our villa will be ready in 6wks but our payment plan does not require us to pay our final two payments till may then october, we were worried we would have to pay it all when it was finished ,but she told the builder that our payments will be as per contract, she took both my wife and myself out for a meal when we were over in october i have emailed her only today and she replied straight away, our my brother is also with remax and he to has had no problems, but a friend has a different person in remax dealing with them think his name is mark but he speaks little or no english,they have had a few problems, but we are well satisfied so far, hope this helps RAYBO.

simma

Message Posted:
19/02/2008 22:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 43 in Discussion

Cheers Raybo and Erkan. Will do and let you know.

John.

simma

Message Posted:
22/02/2008 09:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 43 in Discussion

Hi guys, i spoke to pelin yesterday and she was very helpful. She said that from now on she would look into everything and be my conact in remax. Thanks for the help.

John.

jakki

Message Posted:
22/02/2008 10:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 43 in Discussion

Just a little recommendation on the question of estate agents - try North Cyprus International - Jamie based in London and Diane in NC - absolutely wonderful and friendly service. Can't recommend enough!!

ukturk

Message Posted:
22/02/2008 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 43 in Discussion

hi john simma

im glad you feel better now in talking to pelin and she is now your point of contact, you see mate its not what you know but who you know!!!! lol

i hope you gave her my regards and she was not to shocked that i pulled in a favour!!!!

regards

erkan(ukturk)

mickb

Message Posted:
22/02/2008 16:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 43 in Discussion

we used donaghy and beyler and i can say that all of the staff are on top of their game. Mark the salesman was very professional and guided us every step of the way and the after sales care we arev still recieving is second to none. i would recommend these without any hesitation and anyone who wants more info please feel free to e-mail me.

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
22/02/2008 19:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 43 in Discussion

Hi Simma

Glad things have been sorted (or at least near to). Hope to meet up with you one day possibly in the village or the restaurant by you.

Karen

simma

Message Posted:
22/02/2008 20:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 43 in Discussion

Hi Erkan, of course I gave her your regards. Shortly after reminding her about your superhero status. it was a foregone conclusion after that. Cheers mate!

John.

simma

Message Posted:
22/02/2008 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 43 in Discussion

Hi Karen, yes sounds good. I'm hoping to be all sorted by June but i might need to call on some of your Esentepe expertise on the run in.

John.

philandlesley

Message Posted:
23/02/2008 12:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 43 in Discussion

Hello everyone,first message from us since finding this board.We are sitting here in Surbiton while our furniture is on its way to our little place in Karsiyaka we are movng out on 2nd March,we cant wait.The estate agent we used was Stringer Estates and I must say that by and large their service has been very good. Wayne,one of the partners,has been,and is still being very helpful and we would recommend them so far. Also used Euromed for shipping,and thus far have been very good. Phil

Bradus

Message Posted:
23/02/2008 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 43 in Discussion

Thanks Phil,

Its always good to hear of your positive experiences and recommendations. It helps people just setting out on the buying process. Good luck with your new home and all the best.

paul90

Message Posted:
23/02/2008 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 43 in Discussion

Hi Phil and Lesley

I will soon be making arrangements to send out a container of furniture (also to Karsiyaka).

Could you give me more details of Euromed, e.g. sea container or road, approx cost, do they load it themselves etc.

Thanks in advance, Paul.

philandlesley

Message Posted:
23/02/2008 22:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 43 in Discussion

Hi Paul,

Euromed sent us a 20 x 10 container for a price of 2190 GBP,thats for a door to door service,you get three hours to load and it is shipped from Felixstowe,takes around 22 -25 days to arrive.We dealt with a nice fella called Huseyin,there phone number is 0208 365 8888,other friends of ours have used them and recommended them to us

When are you arriving in Karsiyaka?Hope this helps, thanks Phil

artoned

Message Posted:
24/02/2008 14:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 43 in Discussion

all the same in it for what they can get robbers the lot

paul90

Message Posted:
24/02/2008 20:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 43 in Discussion

Phil and Lesley - thanks, will give them a call. Sound similar to Olaytrans.

Completion in Karsiyaka scheduled for mid May so will spend four weeks there to begin with - hope to move out permanently in early 2010.

regards, Paul

Paddypoo

Message Posted:
05/04/2008 15:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 43 in Discussion

do not touch Donaghy / Beyler nor Sydney construction - dreadful experiences

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
05/04/2008 15:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 43 in Discussion

Paddypoo,

Please elaborate on your problems with D&B and Sydney Construction. You appear to be the first with a major problem. There are many happy customers of both companies.

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
05/04/2008 16:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 43 in Discussion

Yes please expand Paddypoo. The house next door to ours was built by Sydney Construction. The build seemed very good. They were tidy workers who removed their rubbish at the end of each day. Strange really because the house was completed last June and not a sole has been near the place. Its obviously been sold because the water bill is in someone's name.

Karen

joandjelly

Message Posted:
05/04/2008 20:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 43 in Discussion

We used Donaghy & Beyler (Fraser & Beyler in those days) and had a good experience in line with our expectations. We dealt mostly with Verda in the office who always replied promptly to emails and telephone calls. She was also very helpful in arranging meetings with the builder where she was able to translate and make sure everything was agreed in writing. We also made our stage payments through them and had no problems at all (although I probably wouldn't do it that way now). On the whole I would recommend them.

tootie

Message Posted:
31/08/2008 03:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 43 in Discussion

Hi, i know you posted this topic a long time ago but im new to this site and have just purchased a villa from remax and so far no problems but it was only 3 weeks ago! My contact with them was aylin pelin Onar .She was very accomadating, even txt me wen we was back in uk and replyed all my email so far!!! Im going back on 1st october and she has offerd to arrange accomadation and taxi transfers for me. I went with them for the brand name and hope eveything goes ok. One thing someone on this site said to me that made me think is, the estate agent works for the developer not the buyer!

Hope everythig turned out ok for you.

Regards Phil (tootie)

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
31/08/2008 10:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 43 in Discussion

Phil,

As far as I am concerned estate agents are there for one reason only - to make as much money as possible for least work. That is anywhere in world.

"the estate agent works for the developer not the buyer", should not be the case but in reallity unfortunatley it is.

From experience, best work on a principle of wait and see if it happens that way you will not be disappointed, or alternativley you can come back here and say how happy you have been with the service.

Sad thing is that you only hear bad things on most occasions about any service, the majority tend not to speak out unless they have had exceptional other then expected service.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
31/08/2008 11:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 43 in Discussion

In my experience, if you buy off-plan, the only way to make sure you keep on top of the builder and deal with problems as and when they arise is to come here regularly as the build progresses. If you are being asked for a stage payment then come here and check for yourself before handing over any money. It may also help spot any issues before they arise and enable you to make changes before it is too late. When we were buying we came approximately every 10-12 weeks. Expensive I know but then you are investing a lot of money.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.