North Cyprus Tourist Board - Motorcycles & Quadbikes
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Motorcycles & Quadbikes

Motorcycles & Quadbikes

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

KarsiyakaKid

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 11:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

I do not live in cyprus but have a villa which the family and I visit for up to 10 weeks of the year. I had, at great expense, a nissan terrano exported out 2 years ago and drive this carrying my GB license although I have been told that, because I have registered it with Cypriot plates, I should apply for a TC license, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. My question is : Is the GB license sufficient to ride a motorcycle with "L" plates on and what size can I go up to - obviously the larger the bike the better as I would not have to buy a smaller one just to take the test there ? Also is a (what the kids call a grandad) english license sufficient to drive a quadbike in North Cyprus ?

scootaround

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 11:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

The honest reply is no, you have to obtain a TRNC driving license to drive legal. However, if you were to be stopped by the police, would they want to look into the fact that you haven't got the correct licence, i don't know. For you to drive anything here, you must have the correct license for the uk. In the uk you have to of completed the CBT test, if you haven't you cannot drive here...........

The Motorbike Shop

KarsiyakaKid

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 12:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Thanks for that scootaround although I think my "Grandad" GB license allows me to ride anything up to a 125cc with L plates on so maybe that would suffice in the TRNC. All this is largely irrelevent as my dream is to cruise around on a chopper (obviously more than 125cc) so I would have to take some form of test either here in the UK or in the TRNC - I have been reliably informed that the TRNC test is easier - what do you think ? P.S - Do you hire motorcycles as well as sell them ?

scootaround

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Hi,

My opinion is that you should take your bike licence from here as it will cut your costs in the long run. You can drive in the Uk on a TRNC driving licence For upto 1 year.

Confirmed by the uk driving license agency. And we do hire bikes as well.

The Motorbike Shop

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

I can honestly say that in all the time i've lived in Cyprus, i've never seen anyone with L plates, and as for a license i don't think 11year olds are able to get one, and they ride all over the place on brothers scooter! I also know that even folk who have had their license revoked still carry on riding them....and i'l even go as far to say i bet nearly everyone knows someone who rides about with no license! Probably a good reason as to why there are so many accidents here!!

DD

KarsiyakaKid

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 14:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Thanks for the advise scoot and daisy it sounds as if I can re-educate myself (I had both Yamaha FS1E and an Yamaha XT250 in my teenage years) on a scooter in the TRNC illegally or legally it would appear the choice is mine, then take a few lessons and finally take my test in the TRNC. Then, with the license obtained, I will be in a position to purchase and criuse on my chopper. Many thanks KK

keithr

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

To get the licence,first you have to do residency.

scootaround

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Yes my friend you need residency or work permit to obtain a license here.

The Motorbike Shop

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.