North Cyprus Tourist Board - Internet usage on a monthly basis
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Internet usage on a monthly basis

Internet usage on a monthly basis

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

Dawnie1

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 17:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

I have been reading the comments re Turkcell 3G and had purchased a laptop to use in TRNC and was going to buy the Turkcell Dongle & pay a monthly tariff only when over there so I could Skype husband etc, but that is now looking like not such a good idea. My friends who live there now cannot use Skype either with Turkcell. What would anyone recommend, I do not want to pay for 12 months as in TRNC for only 12 weeks of the year, so want to pay 1 month at a time when I am there. Not worried about the mobility side of it, just want to be able to use internet whilst in villa.

greengate8

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 18:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Hi

I cannot understand why your friends are unable to use Skype with 3G - i have been using Skype perfectly well with 3G for some months now, and we have friends who also uses use it without problems.

I am aware of problems setting it up to work with laptops which have LAN/dialup/wireless pre installed, and can conflict with 3G, may i suggest that disabling all other network connections and then setup 3G, may solve the problem. I found this worked on a new laptop i setup recently, whereas on my older laptop there was no such problem.

You may have to uninstall 3G, then disable the network connections and after a re-boot, set 3G again.

Best of luck

GG

greengate8

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Hi again

If you are using windowsXP/Vista as your operating system

You may also wish to check that the windows firewall has accepted 3G and is allowing it to dial 'out/in' - i understand that the XP firewall, has in the past not always accept 3G, during the 3G setup.

Sorry if this is a bit 'techie' but i have kept as brief as possible, and i would need a bit more space to explain the procedures.

GG

Mindy

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

I have 3G and use skype no probs on laptop

Dawnie1

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Thanks guys, I have got the impression that 3G is not performing that well and people have not been able to use Skype. My friend is not on a laptop when she tries to use it & there is another thread with people saying they are having problems. I guess I will have to give it a go & try. Are there any other providers that will allow you to buy a month at a time rather than paying for a full year.

Greengates, will remember your advice as will be using XP, hate Vista with a passion!!!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.