North Cyprus Tourist Board - Moving to North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Moving to North Cyprus

Moving to North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

carolandrob

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 22:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 31 in Discussion

Hi to everyone,we are new to this forum and we are trying to gather as much info as possible on North Cyprus.

We are hoping to move there by 2010,basically to retire,and hopefully be financially better off than in the U.K.

My wife also suffers with Arthritis so think the climate will be of benefit to her.

Would be great to hear from anyone who have moved to North Cyprus,and share their experiences,also is it easy to find part time work,is the cost of living really as little as they say.

Kind Regards

Rob and Carol in the U.K

helper

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 23:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 31 in Discussion

Hello, nice to meet you, I have lived here over 3 years now. Prices have gone up here, but they have everywhere so dont let that put you off. I am not retired, but i do feel it is a good place to retire to, the weather is better than UK, but do remember it can get too hot here in high summer. The big plus here is no post so you dont get tons of unwanted letters . Cost of living is cheaper in many ways here. Water rates 25 tl pm, My electric is approx 100tl pm, there is no tv licence, council tax is 15tl pm A gas bottle for cooking 24 tl, bottle water 5tl for 6litres, so hope that helps, I hope you come here for holidays and to see for yourselves if you like it here, some do and some don't. Give it a try and good luck.

pilgrim

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 23:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 31 in Discussion

Do not wish to dampen your anticipations, but 'cost of living really as little as they say' is I feel is hardly an accurate assessment, petrol, majority of food , electricity, car tax, eating out are on par or more expensive than UK, wages are less. Beautiful area, marvelous friendly people, great climate, etc, but at a cost that cannot be described as whoever informed you. Definately worth coming even so.

rtddci

Message Posted:
13/05/2009 23:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 31 in Discussion

Rob & Carol

Welcome to this forum. I wish you well in your project. Do read as many of the posts on this forum, including the ones from the past in order to get as good a picture as you can before committing yourselves. Have a look at http://www.frankandjoan.com and http://www.hbpg-trnc.net websites. Go and see the home buyers pressure group and British Residents Society when you are next visiting. It will be the best advice you can get I'm sure.

Good luck.

cornish

Message Posted:
14/05/2009 02:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 31 in Discussion

rob and carol

Take no notice of the negative posts here - why would they be here if it was so awful ???? I thinkd it' great

There are many other information sites. Try them all and good luck

spider

Message Posted:
14/05/2009 05:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 31 in Discussion

Welcome rob and carole,and i do hope thing work out for you..

we moved over here two years ago this week,having never even been to visit befor,we just up and sold things at home and booked into a hotel,with the Cat and Dog in the quarenteen, we have never looked from day one...we have made some very good friends here,Honest,True and Dear to our Hearts..I too suffer with arthritis of the spine.as some days i do suffer,but the swimming and sunshine is good for everyone,

the first year was hard missing everyone at home and i was able to go back to visit after six months and on my return i began to look upon here as home...

Take one day at a time and anything is possible good luck.

Regards Spider,x

McSteviet

Message Posted:
14/05/2009 08:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 31 in Discussion

Welcome carolandrob,

Just do your research and don't buy until your are fully ready.

It is a great place though, you will love it. Come on holiday a few times, at different times to get a feel for the weather, but it's definatley better than the UK.

Mc

gates

Message Posted:
14/05/2009 10:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 31 in Discussion

high rob & carol i am kirk of bracey builders if you need any work done or need any help you can get to nus vie wwwbraceybuilders.com we are always willing to help or adise hope your move goes well also if you are going to bring container try olaytrans they are the best kind regards and best wishesw from kirk bracey

smithy

Message Posted:
14/05/2009 10:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 31 in Discussion

I Rob and Carol

I have lived here for nearly 5 years and I love it and if Carol suffers as you say from Arthritis the sun is the best place for her, just be careful in July/August as it gets really hot, I sit under an umbrella most of the time.

Just post on here if you need any advice or help as there are some great people on this Forum who are willing to help. I have no regrets and have made as Spider says some lovely friends who are there for you.

Take care get in touch and let us know when you arrive.

Sheila (smithy)

fire starter

Message Posted:
14/05/2009 13:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 31 in Discussion

jsut remember that there is no free medical treatment here, so budget for it.

britvic

Message Posted:
14/05/2009 14:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 31 in Discussion

Welcome, Rob and Carol, I have a holiday home in NC, if I could live their instead of just holidaying I would.

Vicki

simbas

Message Posted:
14/05/2009 14:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 31 in Discussion

H carolandrob , welcome to the forum , hope you enjoy the posts and find them informative

Good luck , Simbas

AlexF065

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 21:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 31 in Discussion

I also have arthritis and was told costa blanca was best but not for my bank balance the prices are very very expencive

I dont retire for another 20 yrs, and am a bit confused at to what to do the hospital tell me i cant have new Knees for a while as they only last 10 yrs and i am too young!!

I was wondering about buying a small flat to use ever couple of weeks in the winter but the flights are quite expencive due to no cheap carriers comming into the north

Can you come via the south and how difficult do they make things?

thanks for any help advice

rowlo

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 31 in Discussion

hi alexf065, yes you can come via the south , just dont post it on here , theres southern spies on here ,lol enjoy .

rowlo

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 31 in Discussion

welcome to the forum carolandrob .

HildySmith

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 31 in Discussion

Hi Rob & Carol

I retired last year and my husband is due to retire in '22 working days' (but he is not counting). We decided to buy a house there in 2006 so it would be ready for our retirement. Well it has all gone belly up. So 3 weeks ago we went for another holiday and it was great. We rented a villa and had a fabulous time. We are now renting a villa and still going to retire over there. Going there 2 weeks ago was great because it reminded us why we choose to move there. I wish now I had not arranged to buy a house. We are renting a 3 bed villa with pool from October and if we had not bought our villa, we could have rented for 30 years for the same money - needless to say we will not live that long, but we could have had our capital in the bank, lived off the interest and enjoy all the wonderful things which everyone has already told you about. I know of a 2 bed villa, good rental, in a wonderful area - it was too small for us, but I highly recommend it.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 31 in Discussion

RE msg 5, cornish (...) Take no notice of the negative posts here - why would they be here if it was so awful ???? (...)

=> Sorry, but this is naive. I'm sure many, many expats (mainly Brits) would leave the minute they could. They only have to sell their house for which there are no buyers. Or they can't sell the house because they still don't legally own it - after a 5 years waiting for the bl**dy papers. Yes, the weather is fine.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
07/09/2009 23:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 31 in Discussion

Renting is the answer. It gives you time to decide what to do and to enjoy TRNC.

I broke 3 bones in my leg in December and I have had loads of problems. I took some advice from the Physio and came over and did my exercises in the pool 2 - 3 times a day for 2 weeks. By the time I came back my leg is great and I was discharged from physio on Thursday. I have been back to the pool since I got home but it is not the same. I rented a lovely villa in a lovely area with some smashing neighbours who we are going to keep in touch with when we return. I have info and photos if you are interested - as I said I would recommend it to anyone. I now wish we had rented and not decided to purchase. I am now getting ready for my holidays in October when the rental starts - can't wait (given up on my house - if it happens it happens!!)

AlexF065

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 02:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 31 in Discussion

Hi all

so is it possible to rent very long term like yrs and yrs,? as I have been trawling the site and I must say it has scared me to death

I would want a garden app or small bungalow, I would be interested to rent somthing cheap as i still have to work and am looking for 1 week respite ie the sun and not to cold for my knee so i dont have to take so many pain killers.

I was a fully qualified gas Engineer/Plumber for many years (yes they do let girls in uk) but I have my doubts as to getting a work permit as they do not seem to like single (widowed) women looking at a few threads on here but dont speak any turkish whatso ever so i suspect that may be a disadvantage?

Many Ex Pats in spain work for each other in a sort of bartering system so the authorities cant say it is work as you dont get paid in money so to speak ie i will sort your dripping tap out and you will cut my grass ect

is the ex pat comunity in North cyprus that evolved as yet?

philnles

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 07:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 31 in Discussion

Hi Carol and Rob, winters here are very damp, heating is very expensive, so I would have thought not a lot of

help for arthritis

Hi Alex, if you need to work here to survive, then don't come here, you will not be able to make an honest living and as soon as you step out of line the authorites will land on you like a ton of bricks. Houses are cheap to rent for long periods and the locals people are very nice.

We have been here 18 months now, house still not finished, no sign of it being finished in the near future, we are lucky we kept our property in the UK, so our options are still open.

I would suggest renting here for twelve months, renting your property out in the UK and seeing how you like it before you decide.

Moving her maybe the best thing you ever done, but, on the other hand, it maybe the worst thing you ever done, you need to "try before you buy".

HildySmith

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 15:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 31 in Discussion

Alex, email me and I will give you the details of an ideal property. It is a bungalow, with large garden (gravelled) looking to rent long term (to elderly Brits). Great neighbours etc and it is cheap - email me and I will send you the details.

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 16:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 31 in Discussion

Cost of living has gone up, but then that was to be expected with all the foreigners moving to the island. However, if you shop about then you can always pick up a bargain - and that goes for shops to services. Also, council tax is a fraction of that in the UK so it would be a good start to offset that against what you spend.

Anyway, we have enjoyed the island for nearly 4 years and I hope when you come that you enjoy it as much as we have!!!

negativenick

Message Posted:
08/09/2009 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 31 in Discussion

mess 5 - We're here because we are not all there....

The main reason so many are here, is because they can't sell the properties due to the fact that so much has come out of the wood work since the majority of us bought here....

There are far nicer places, with proper infracture, where there is no argumant over the ownership of the land....

Just telling you how it is.....

HildySmith

Message Posted:
11/09/2009 00:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 31 in Discussion

that is why it is good to rent. My house is tied up in legal tape and builders/advocate's cock-ups, so I am renting because when I came to see what was happening, I recognised the good reasons why I wanted to by there in the first place.

Maz

Message Posted:
11/09/2009 00:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 31 in Discussion

As only one person has picked up on the questionof 'part time work' I felt I should add a negative note.

Don't like being 'negative' buit think I am a 'realist'.

There is ltitle work for ex pats - in fact little work for makking a living. I know Turks looking for casual work and not finding it, so if you are coming over speaking no Turkish and with no needed skills, there is little you can find, and even if you do, it will be at the minimum wage of 1190TL A MONTH. But if you have other monies, then fine, but the b iggest No no, is that you must have a work permit which the employer is meant to get for you and it costs him money. So....... little chance.

One couple came to 'my' village a year ago - bought a house for £200,000 which took all their money, but they were confident they would get 'work'. They are gone! House rented out! End of dream. BUT, if you have other monies and cna enjoy all that Cyprus has to offer - come on over. If not, just come for holidays.

Ailletoo

Message Posted:
11/09/2009 08:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 31 in Discussion

I agree with you 100% MarieB

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
11/09/2009 09:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 31 in Discussion

MarieB: ' One couple came to 'my' village a year ago - bought a house for £200,000 which took all their money, but they were confident they would get 'work'. They are gone! House rented out! End of dream.'

Sounds like they are the 'white shoe brigade' types - sorry, no sympathy for them; they should have done their 'homework'!

Maz

Message Posted:
11/09/2009 23:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 31 in Discussion

I agree with you Tenakoutou, but one mistake I think many folk make is assuming too much, and assuming that you can work here as you may in any EU state. As this isn't EU then other rules apply. And it is not only lacking in doing homework, but somehow the lure of the sunshine and the purportedly cheaper cost of living (no Council tax helps!) blinds them to other realities.

Like you, I have little sympathy at not doing homework, but I cna't help but feel sorry for anyone who may have been misled, as a result of which the dream is shattered. And of course, it oftenbreaks up relationships, so that is another negative that the sunshine cannot cure.

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
17/09/2009 16:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 31 in Discussion

Negativenick - how will you ever sell your house when all you do is come on a public forum and tell everyone how bad it is here?

AlexF065

Message Posted:
17/09/2009 16:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 31 in Discussion

Hi

Kathy I cant email you as i have not been around long enough to see email addresses

mine is fast4gas@yahoo.co.uk

If you email me i will get straight back to you

thanks

elkiton

Message Posted:
17/09/2009 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 31 in Discussion

carol & Rob, welcome, fulltime here for 1 1/2 years now retired and love it, would never move back to uk by choice.

Its not UK plus, ie if you are an adventurer and like primitive, with peace and quiet, ok, it has a decade to catch up with Spain, but if you want amenities on tap, you will not be happy, but you are only 4 hours away from UK.

Very friendly local people. and high standards of respect and service, you can leave doors unlocked and walk at night in safety.

If I had my time over again, I would sign a long term rental agreement, and aim to spend my capital over the next 15 years or so really enjoying myself travelling the world.

Re the negative posts about housing...remember any housing market is a long term investment not a short term speculation. The present market here is saturated, but the land mass is small and in a year or three when the "Plan B" (kibris star) gets underway and the North is internationally trading again, then property values will double

tonyE

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.