North Cyprus Tourist Board - Sub Aqua Diving in TRNC - Rules & Regulation Clarrification Required
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Sub Aqua Diving in TRNC - Rules & Regulation Clarrification Required

Sub Aqua Diving in TRNC - Rules & Regulation Clarrification Required

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Diving in North Cyprus

ralfep

Message Posted:
14/05/2009 22:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

I am a P.A.D.I & B.S.A.C instructor, live in Famagusta & wish to dive over here but am told that "You are only allowed to dive with a registered school"

Can anyone point me in the direction of some sort of regulation that states this please?

I have asked around but can only get "yep thats true" from dive schools but noone seems to be able to furnish me with documentary evidence

Yours hopefully

Ralf_ep

oceans11

Message Posted:
15/05/2009 19:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

hi there i lived in bogaz teppe for 4 years and had a dive school there oceans11, bsac and padi ,it is true aboutnot being able to dive there ,the only way u find out is by asking at a police station then they will send you nicosea leftcosia ,my licence is still valid and you may be able to dive under my school name im back in uk at mo ,but let me know where you are wanting to dive and who you are diving with.

Gary

racoonchic

Message Posted:
15/05/2009 19:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

im a padi rescue diver my mates a bsac diver and on a few occasions weve had our tanks filled and went for a bubble alone no q asked

oceans11

Message Posted:
15/05/2009 20:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

if you are caught by the police they will convescate your gear no questions asked and fine you, its usally local people that willl grass you up .! be carefull

flightholiday

Message Posted:
15/05/2009 22:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

I am not sure but I think you may find it is with regard to "military security" but it may also be related to general safety too.

ralfep

Message Posted:
16/05/2009 21:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

Hi there Gary & thanks for your post it is quite helpful.

My wife & I wish to dive in & around the Bogaz & Dipkarpaz area's, she is a BSAC sports diver, I understand the sensitivity focused around "military area's" but do not intend to dive anywhere near a base. We have all our own gear. It would be great if you could help in anyway...

Btw are you going to come back out here & reopen your school? I might be looking for a job!

ralfep

Message Posted:
16/05/2009 21:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

Hi Racoonchic, thanks for your response too. You are lucky that you didn't get caught, I am aware that if you are caught diving without a registered school that they will arrest you & confiscate your kit as Gary pointed out... so that is a risk I am unwilling to take. Thanks anyway

ralfep

Message Posted:
16/05/2009 21:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

Hi Flightholiday,

If a fully qualified diver wishes to dive then they will be fully aware of all safety aspects that are required to enable them to "Dive Safely" its part of the training, as stated to Gary I am aware of the military thing but what do they think a sports diver is going to do? Steal their base or take photo's of their secrets... It's just another way for the authorities to stop folk having a little fun!

Thanks for your post anyway,

kiwikid

Message Posted:
16/05/2009 22:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

Hi Ralfep

Its more to do with the fact that the sea still has a lot of undiscovered ruins and Antiquities, as it is illegal to remove any from the sea (not the ruins) they bought in this law to stop treasure hunters. Don't forget it is also illegal to sparefish with a tank.\It really is not worth the risk as they do do regular patrols.

Angela

oceans11

Message Posted:
16/05/2009 22:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

hi again, yes i think it more to do with the amophora that is scattered every where aroun they see it as there heritage and theres, if you as much as lift an amphora off the sea bed broken or intact w were told a minimum of 7 years in prison ,any body seen midnight express not my cup of tea!

bogaz its self has 3 anceint shipwrecks that i have dived 64 intact amphora that we have found amazing diving, salamis ruins as well diving off the beach straight out off the end o the pier artifacts every where, im out on the 29 th have you a tel no ill give you a call take you out if you want

oceans11

Message Posted:
16/05/2009 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

hi again ,

yes the law is more to do with the discovery and removing of atifacts, we were told when approved a licence to dive that even to lift an amphora off the sea bed was a 7 year sentence ,any body seen midnight express not my cup of tea!

in bogaz alone i know of 3 ancient hip wrecks 64 in tact amphora ,3 roman anchors and much more,salamis ruins another good dive straight off the beach your ll be gob smacked at what is out there but probably arrested when you de-kitting all good fun.

im out on the 29 May let me have your no ill give you a call when out lets go diving

flightholiday

Message Posted:
17/05/2009 17:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Msg 8 - I did recognise that you were qualified and probably very experienced (I come across enough divers in the job).

I was skiriting round the fact even with a buddy in a remote location you might have some safety issues and as till recently there was no chamber easily available to divers in NC it is wise to be part of a larger diving group where one or two people may speak Turkish as well as a foreign language (useful in an emergency). Which is what the authorities stance may relate to.

The military point was mainly in regard to underwater artifacts etc as they are largely responsible for them in conjunction with the department of antiquities. There is also a small consideration as to true military secuirity too.

ralfep

Message Posted:
18/05/2009 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Hi Angela,

Thanx for your response too, yes I am fully aware of the antiquities issue too, I have been a diver for some time now...too long to go into here & those that spearfish with or without a tank are not on my Christmas card list, I dive for the pleasure of observing the beautiful creatures of the sea... not killing them. I dont intend to dive without permission to do so but as yet no one has been able to furnish me with the documentary evidence that states the reasons... so my quest continues

Take care & have a gr8 day

ralfep

Message Posted:
18/05/2009 16:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

Hi there again Gary,

Yes I do have a mobile, if you email me on ralf_ep@hotmail.com i will give it to you. At present I am doing all my diving in the south with Viking Divers & my friends.... over there there are NO restrictions except the usual (not removing anything from the sea) but as qualified instructors we always adhere to this rule..as you know. It would be gr8 to link up & dive with you.

I am ex military & was out here in 1974 (when the S**T hit the fan) didn't dive then tho, also out here in 1985 & dived out of Palm beach, Salamis, Bogaz, Dipkarpaz & Kyrenia.... never had a problem back then.... only this time & I have dived here (TRNC) but only with the PADI centers in Palm Beach, Venus Hotel & Kyrenia.

Anyway hope to speak soon

ralfep

Message Posted:
25/05/2009 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

Hi there again Gary,

Yes I do have a mobile, if you email me on ralf_ep@hotmail.com i will give it to you.

Littlenige

Message Posted:
25/05/2009 11:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

ralfep

enjoy your diving check the pics out here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nigeandpat/sets/72157594306902882/

ralfep

Message Posted:
25/05/2009 13:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

Hi littlenige,

thanx 4 t link.... awesome pics,

I mainly dive out of Larnaca on the Zenobia & surounding area's with "Esba Sac" but do want to dive more in the north... it is just these rules & regs that are putting a little strain on diving up here. I have a friend in the Tc Police force & he is looking into the "Can only dive with a P.A.D.I. school thing" for me... I still think it IS a money thing that started some time ago & is NOW Believed to be true!

All will be revieled with the fulness of time

Take care & safe bubbles buddy

ralfep

Message Posted:
28/06/2009 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

Hi everyone who is interested in the issue of "Diving in TRNC" My friendly TC Policeman (TC from London) has made extensive investigations through official & un-official means & it seems that the TRNC at present does not have any rules or regulations that can be found with respect to restrictions of diving in the North! So he & me & lots of other people I have spoken to both in the North & South: (English, SBA Police, HM Customs & Immigration Officers, Turkish Cypriot Police, Cypriots including Dive centers in the South) officially & unoffcially have never seen any official documentation Furthermore we have still YET to find anyting official to supprt the claim that "If you wish to dive in the North it has to be with a certified P.A.D.I school only".

Again I throw the challenge out to the Cyprus 44 community: PLEASE can anyone point me in the direction of where did this rule come from, where are these rules? or is it just a money thing!

P.A.D.I. = Put Another Dollar In

ralfep

Message Posted:
07/12/2009 20:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

Hi everyone that is/was interested in this issue.

After more than 10 months of research & meetings with various officials, old boy networks, unofficial & official sorces, some P.A.D.I. schools here in the north regarding "Diving in the TRNC" I can now report that this rule is just "AN UNOFICIAL agreement" made between the P.A.D.I. dive schools on the north to protect the sea, flaura & fauna... & oh of course antiquities BUT has nothing to do with money....

I led a weekend diving expedition to the Karpaz in August made up of British Army personel & dependants, all with our own kit & we dived without incedent, however we were refused air fills because we were not diving with a P.A.D.I. school! We took enough cylinders for evryone for the whole weekend luckily but next time we will take our own compressor!

Make of that what you will but one thing is for sure... rumers or word of mouth is NOT the Law

Safe bubbles to you all

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.