North Cyprus Tourist Board - Why aren't most Turkish Cypriots entitled to vote in the ROC Election
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Why aren't most Turkish Cypriots entitled to vote in the ROC Election

Why aren't most Turkish Cypriots entitled to vote in the ROC Election

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

Aussie

Message Posted:
21/02/2008 00:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 2 in Discussion

In following the ROC election one thing stands out.

The ROC as the "legal and UN representive" of the whole island is inconsistent with its treatment of Turkish Cypriots who are entitled to hold ROC citizenship but are not allowed to vote in the elections. I understand less than 400 Turkish Cypriots were entitled to vote presumably those living in the south within the ROC borders whilst the large majority living in the north or overseas where completely disenfranchised. What kind of democracy or legal government can effectively prevent at least 100,000 Turkish Cypriots living TRNC and probably a much larger number living overseas in the UK, Australia etc from voting perhaps representing 25-30% of the total of eligible voters. Can you imagine the outcry in Europe and the UN if any other country did this ?

Surely this undermines the credibility of any ROC government and its sincerity in solving the Cyprus problem if its not even prepared to let its own citizens a vote.

If anyone knows the official justification for this I would be interested in finding out as its seems contradictory to me.

ukturk

Message Posted:
21/02/2008 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 2 in Discussion

hi aussie

390 turkish cypriots who were entitled to vote they did because they actually live in south cyprus, there are more of a percentage who have european passports that they applied and received in the south but they dont actually live in the south so they did not vote either it be registered or simply they did not bother

the north and the south are seen as two diffarent seperate states that have their own elections and their own voters, so you actually have to live and be registerd to vote, its like saying you hold a united kingdom passport but you are not allowed to vote in ireland

the roc sent out invatations to greek cypriots who live in the u.k,australia etc these people are eligable to vote but not turkish cypriots for the reason that cyprus is not a unified country and until that day tc's wont be allowed to vote in the south and gc's wont be allowed to vote in the north simple as that!!!

i do agree with you about the credibility of the roc government because they placed embargos on the turkish cypriots and we cant even fart without the south complaining about it, but you are mistaken in saying us turkish cypriots are citizens of south cyprus and we deserve to vote, i would never want to vote and be involved in south cyprus politics im only interested in whats going on in the north, and if ever the day cyprus is unified and they hold elections thats the day north cypriots and south cypriots will be allowed to vote on the leader of a unified republic cyprus but until that day we will carry on like it is

regards

ukturk

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.