North Cyprus Tourist Board - vodafone new tariffs
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > vodafone new tariffs

vodafone new tariffs

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

girne 29

Message Posted:
18/05/2009 21:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

See that Vodafone has no roaming tarriff in 35 countries Cyprus being one of them.Can visitors connect to R.O.C networks instead of the auto roam toTurkish networks,

What prevents southern networks being used in the north?

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
18/05/2009 21:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

voda charge excessively for Nc connection .

My company have 250 voda business mobiles on contract with voda uk ,i was told no problem in cyprus for roaming and reduced tarrif .

That was until i got home and they said not that bit of cyprus we call that turkey and therefore doesnt apply.

the charges in the end were met by my company as i was" working" some times ,however i had £650 bill for 2 weeks and was on it around 30 to 60mins per day

kav

ps i think voda own turkcell or something similar ?

Chris and Sue

Message Posted:
18/05/2009 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

I had the same problem with my Blackberry. Vodafone own Telsim but you cannot use your UK inclusive minutes and vodafone passport does not apply because we are not in Europe! I was given incorrect information because the call centres are not up to scratch with the Cyprus situation, so I got a refund!

Sue

zcacmxi

Message Posted:
18/05/2009 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

You can't connect to ROC networks in most of the North as there is no coverage. Places near the border there is some coverage, but in Kyrenia none.

girne 29

Message Posted:
18/05/2009 23:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Thanks,

Seems strange we cant connect to a ROC network after all the border is only 30 mins away.

Was thinking that somehow signal was being blocked.

Probably the north would be treated as European tariff if they had a trnc provider instead of Turkish

Offshore1

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 00:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

In the early 90's there was no roaming possible on the cell system in the North at all. The only way to use a UK mobile was to drive up to the mountains - parking at the turning to Buffaventio was my favoured location - pick up a signal from the south and make the call roaming on a Southern network. Changed in the later 90's when the Northern networks started to allow roaming - at some cost! If vodafone really are offering reasonably priced calls from the South it might pay to do the same thing again.

LondonCypriot

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 00:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

You can connect to the CYTA network in Turkish nicosia and in many areas of the North . You just have to manually select it, the CYTA will not be very powerful but you should at the minimum get a few bars.

Vodafone CYTA coverage map

http://www.abroad.vodafone.co.uk/index.cfm?do=cost.home&me=a1&nu=1&le=1&coverage=true&tariff=0&country=1078026225&passport=passport#

Vodafone UK in connection with the Cyprus CYTA Network have some excellent offers. They have abolished all their roaming charges with the CYTA network so you won't get charged when receiving a call and all your rates are home rates. You just need to opt for the Vodafone passport before your leave and on the 1st June to 31st August you will have the UK rates when using the CYTA network

Voda fone special offer link

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/Portal/appmanager/vodafone/wrp?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=templateBlank&pageID=OS_0100

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 08:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

sue message 3

im glad about the blackberry cos min e will be staying in uk this summer.lol

kav

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 11:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

girne29,

The signal isn't somehow being blocked. It's all to do with distance to a transmitter. Most phones can lock onto a transmitter upto around a mile away. On a clear line of sight, ie the distance from you to the transmitter without anything in the way, the range goes upto 3 miles. That is why in certain spots up in the mountains it is possible to lock onto the transmitters in the South. In Lefkosia itself there is no problem, and at the airport too.

zcacmxi

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 12:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Vodafone bought out Telsim group last year. The network in Turkey has been rebranded Vodafone.

They own KKTC Telsim too, but have not rebranded.

For some reason, Vodafone have not included Vodafone Turkey & KKTC Telsim in the passport scheme. Nothing to do with being Europe/EU or not, as many countries not in Europe are included in the list, e.g. Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Switzerland.

It's a commercial decision. They believe they can still get away with charging customers that are roaming in Turkey/TRNC, even though they own the network and could include it in the scheme.

zcacmxi

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 12:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Vodafone customers that plan to visit Turkey / TRNC should be requesting that they are included in the list. There a millions of tourists to Turkey each year from UK, and at least 100,000 that could benefit from KKTC Telsim being included.

Posting on the Vodafone UK Forums at: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/ is surely worth a try. A lot more convenient than driving up a mountain trying to get CYTA reception!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.