North Cyprus Tourist Board - yet another poor 'dumped' dog
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > yet another poor 'dumped' dog

yet another poor 'dumped' dog

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

japeal

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 11:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 63 in Discussion

To who ever ‘dumped’ their heavily pregnant dog on to our site near Tatlisu, I hope you are proud of yourself!! The dog has now been ‘relocated’ with much heartbreak in doing so. I have 2 dogs one of whom would not entertain another bitch on her home. I took your dog to the vet she is due to have puppies within 10 days, both KAR and BARK could not take her as they are both overflowing with animals and their resources strained to the limit. The responsibility for your dog belongs to you!!!

She has been ‘relocated’, left with a lot of food and near a water source, I will keep an eye over the next few days to see if anyone takes her in, but being pregnant I doubt it.

Lilli

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 11:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 63 in Discussion

Hi both this makes me so sick and angry. heartless people who wouldnt even give it a second thought. I would love it to happen to them and see how they would survive. The poor mother and the puppies. I hope and I pray they find love somewhere.

japeal

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 11:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 63 in Discussion

I will be keeping an eye on this Lilli, but having had 2 sleepless nights due to my dogs not settling, and the risk of complaints from neighbours I had to do something! as previously stated, I have spent nearly 4hour driving around , vet,contacting KAR and BARK it is heartbreaking but cannot blame either KAR or BARK they are maxed out. It is the totally irresponsible previous owner to blame.

The dog is beautiful, has been very well cared for, she comes up to you for affection, gets straight into the car settles as soon as the radion goes on and travels well. So someone has previously been very caring.

Amber

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 63 in Discussion

What is wrong with some people that they could do this to an animal. I know to some animals mean nothing, but that have hearts brains and feelings and should be shown more respect.

Hope dog and pups will be ok. How can we encourage neutering here?? I met a man once whose poor dog kept having litter after litter. He was educated and had spent a long time in UK before coming back here. I asked him why he did not get his dog neutered as she was looking so old and tired. I am just too lazy was the response!!

taraspring

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 63 in Discussion

It is a blessing that there are such kind and caring people about as yourselves. I do hope there is a happy ending to this story. Poor creature. Who could do such a thing? There are some despicable human beings around.

It happens all over. Last summer the house at the end of my street in the UK got repossessed and they left their two cats to fend for themselves. I fed them for a while and gradually they came in and we adopted them, or they adopted us. We now have 4, and I am feeding another stray who has recently turned up.

Good luck to you in finding a home for the mum and pups. xxx

Lilli

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 16:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 63 in Discussion

Hi Amber i know just what you mean. When I found Blackjacy hw was amongst 15 other puppies and it seemed 4 mums. I asked the owner why he didnt get the mums done Answer why would I spoil thier fun. I beleive that another feww litters have been born and this will happen year after year. So sad

Amber

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 17:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 63 in Discussion

Hi Lilli,

To neuter here would solve a great deal of the problem of the many strays, who some see as pests. They had no choice but to have been brought into a place where some are unloved and neglected. I will never get used to this here. Hope you are well and Bertie is doing great - and the idiot who upset you is now keeping quiet?? xx

Lilli

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 17:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 63 in Discussion

hi amber I totally agree with you. I cant get used to it either. gound two adorable puppies the other night so small only a few weeks old. All I can do is feed and water them. Bertie is coming on a treat now hes so playful. Yes that woman is keeping very quite now thank god. It wasnt hard to find out who she was. Take care may pop in tomorrow and say hello xxxx

Alie121

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 17:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 63 in Discussion

or how could some one dump a dog on a stranger.dogs arent just for christmas

biglugs

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 06:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 63 in Discussion

i came over here 2yrs ago with my dog from the UK,said then no more,mmmmmmmmmmm now i have 3 last one was 3 months ago a little black pup just left to fend for herself,these people dump these poor animals have no hearts

gillken

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 09:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 63 in Discussion

I was made to feel awful on a previous post for my comment when someone was asking if anybody could re-house a dog due to their relocation. This person admitted that if no home was found this dog would also have be abandoned, thankfully doggy was re-homed. I do hope all is going well.

I suggested the kindest thing was to have the doggy put to sleep, rather than leave it to die of starvation. Was surprised to be told "vets will not put a healthy animal down" but with no more capacity at kar the only option was to just leave the animal.

Is this really the case?

Is it expensive to remove an animal from Cyprus when one is relocating?

Lilli

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 09:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 63 in Discussion

Hi Gillken I think if they are going back to UK it the quartine thay poor dogs have to do. 6 months. Plus the airline costs etc.Its all too sad xxxx

japeal

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 10:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 63 in Discussion

Just been to where I had left the dog, the 3kg bag of food has gone as has the dog, I hope and presume someone has taken her and the food, there was no sign of the food bag so believe everything was taken.

I hope she has her pups and has a good life, did not sleep well last night but have done everything I could.

Lilli

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 10:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 63 in Discussion

You have Japeal. Often I go back to the spot I find the poor souls to find them gone. Then I worry myself sick. I hope she has been reclaimed and her and the puppies will be fine. xxxxxx

slimboyfat

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 10:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 63 in Discussion

It's not easy finding homes for dogs. We have been trying for three months and only have under 4 weeks to go before we leave Cyprus. We are unable to take him with us , we have stuck posters up e#mailed everyone we know, spoken to so many people put messages on the BBs. The vets won't put them down so the only alternatives are to put him down ourselves or let him run free and I couldn't do that to him.

Krawpy

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 10:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 63 in Discussion

When I quit TRNC, I shipped back a street dog who had adopted us. The sight of finding a dog skeleton tied to a tree during a walk in the mountains sickened us so much that we couldn't bear to leave this dog there. We were told it was probably a dumped hunting dog no longer of use after end of the season. We were assisted by KAR to arrange paperwork but I had to sort out quarantine kennels myself (but with their advice). They do have to undergo the full 6 mths and the total cost to us was about £3000 including flight, crate, KAR, paperwork, kennels and vets bills whilst in quarantine (the dog arrived in the UK with an ear infection). I hope your experience has ended well for the animal.

Lilli

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 63 in Discussion

Oh Slimboy thats awful. I do home you find a good home soon. xxxx

Amber

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 11:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 63 in Discussion

Krawpy

How long ago was that they you left TRNC?? I wonder if the prices have risen since then?? I have a dog and cat to get back - eventually!!

Cannot believe somebody would do that to that poor dog in the mountains - but then again after some of the things I have witnessed here yes I can.

Krawpy

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 63 in Discussion

Amber - dog was shipped on 7 Sep 08 and came out of quarantine on 7 March 09. I may be able to send you more detail, doc scans etc if you email me on firebreak@live.co.uk . I've no idea about costs for cats though. Regards.

japeal

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 22:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 63 in Discussion

Unbelieveable, a couple were out for a walk the dog attached itself to them and they walked to our estate, we now have the dog back! Will discuss with neighbours in the morning what we can do. We cannot keep it, neighbours prefer cats so who knows what we can do. Will keep everyone informed

Lilli

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 23:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 63 in Discussion

you have the same luck as me. Good luck to you both xxxxx

Tuttut

Message Posted:
21/05/2009 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 63 in Discussion

What Breed is the dog? We have a dog but might consider taking her in temperary so she can have her pups some where safe?

Lilli

Message Posted:
21/05/2009 10:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 63 in Discussion

Oh tut you are kind. I do hope she is found xx

Tuttut

Message Posted:
21/05/2009 10:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 63 in Discussion

I just think it must be so horrible for her to come from a home being dumped and pregnant and not having anyone arround to help with her giving birth... makes me sick, I do have a dog put we have a pen which her and the pups can stay in so they are safe,..its not a definate as i have to speak to the other half and also the dogs will have to be homed afterwards.

Tuttut

Message Posted:
21/05/2009 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 63 in Discussion

Has this dog found somewhere???

Tuttut

Message Posted:
21/05/2009 11:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 63 in Discussion

to bring to top

japeal

Message Posted:
21/05/2009 11:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 63 in Discussion

Hi, Tuttut, trying to reply to your email but having trouble replying to your hotmail email address, if you want to email me your phone number I will ring you.

The dog appears to have gone for a lie down somewhere on the estate but no doubt will be back for food soon.

john

japeal

Message Posted:
21/05/2009 15:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 63 in Discussion

Tuttut, any update on if your other half, she has come back again so looks as if I have to do something?

racoonchic

Message Posted:
21/05/2009 15:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 63 in Discussion

the dogs should be chipped here so the owners can be punnished for neglect

japeal

Message Posted:
21/05/2009 17:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 63 in Discussion

bttt please

Tuttut

Message Posted:
22/05/2009 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 63 in Discussion

Hi Japeal, I have spoken to my hubby and he said as we both work it would not be fair on them being in kennel all day on their own.

We both really what to help but do not know what else we can do, we are so sorry. Its heart breaking.

If you can give me some details about her, breed size colour i know is silly questions but then i can ask people in my area if they would liek to take her in.

Tuttut

Message Posted:
22/05/2009 10:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 63 in Discussion

Got email with picture so will put it about for you.

poochielover

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 02:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 63 in Discussion

Hi, my partner, myself, daughter and our two beautiful black labradors are relocating to trnc in october this year. I thought i'd join this forum as being an animal lover myself, need lots of info about the bringing our dogs across. We visited trnc August of last year after looking to move from the uk to a better lifestyle for all. We stayed in a lovely, friendly hotel on Kyrenia harbour and decided that this was the place for us. We then bought our dream home and went back in march this year to choose our interior etc... I knew nothing of the situation with the animals until then. We rented a villa near where we are going to be living in Karsiyaka. We then started to discover to get a feel of Cyprus and although being a little behind the times, loved it..Lovely people, beautiful mountains and sea views, plenty of ex-pats and even the odd english bar. All was going well until our second week there. We'd noticed a new place opening on the Lapta strip near the beach and thought that we

poochielover

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 02:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 63 in Discussion

would try it for breakfast. Getting out of the car, my partner spotted a little dog lying in the sun and asked me, "is that dog dead ?" I whistled and the dog came to me, it seemed listless, but not starving. The little mite was only around 3 onths old. After giving it a stroke and tickle, off we wen't for breakfast. The little dog was at the front the cafe/bar and the door was open but seemed to know that, that was as far as it could go. I asked the owner if this was his dog and my heart just plummeted when he told me no, a woman came the day before and left it. I went back out to see the pup and another little black pup around the same age came from the beach, my heart sank lower. I ordered 8 sausages ( must have been from the south as they were real sausages), the owners must have thought that i was mad, but i didn't care. I fed them along with the leftovers of our meal only to be told off by my partner for encouraging the dogs with food to a young couple trying to start a new

poochielover

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 04:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 63 in Discussion

business and did not need these two pups begging from there customers and sabotaging there livliehood. I was happy that i'd fed and watered them but, that was my holiday ruined, i couldn't stop thinking about them..every day, i made my fed up partner take me to feed and water them, sure enough they were there, waiting for me. We were due to fly back to the uk on the fri and now it was wed...i found the number for KARS and rang them asking could they pick the pups up, they said that they couldn't until the following week and i was devastated, thinking i was going to leave them and thay had no-one. We then got a phone call from Kars asking could we drop them off there. My partner wanted to park the car up by this time and have a beer, wasn't happy, but relented..we bundled these two innocent little pups into the car and drove to Kars, gave a donation and were told that they would neuter/spay them and then they would be returned to where i found them. Everyday that we went to feed them,

poochielover

Message Posted:

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 63 in Discussion

I cried when i left them down near the beach every time that i had to. It was satisfying knowing that i could leave them at Kars and they were safe, until they are returned to where i found them...still thinking about them now, bless them. Didn't know that Cyprus were not a nation of animal lovers and now we have signed on the dotted line, what can i do?, but get involved in the animal situation.....Thanks for taking the time to read this, any advice on bringing my two poochies across would be much appreciated.

poochielover

Message Posted:

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 63 in Discussion

Don't know what happened to the the rest of my message as it took ages...never mind, we rescued the two dogs, took them to KARS with a donation and now i'm upset about moving to my dream home in the sun with this situation!

taraspring

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 04:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 63 in Discussion

I have been to TRNC numerous times, fed every stray Donkey, Dog and Cat in sight with bagfuls of stuff, much to my partners irritation.

This is why I just couldn't live there.

It's heartbreaking for animal lovers.

Who would want to be a stray in TRNC?

It's abysmal. It's pityfull. It's avoidable with education!!!??

Can these people really be educated in the basics of litter picking, never mind the responsibility of animal welfare?

I just dispair.

CyprusChill

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 04:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 63 in Discussion

Very rare to see a stray dog in europe these days.

The days of angry strays are now behind us.

Education i suppose. Enough of being attacked by the uncontrolled, the reality.

fire starter

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 63 in Discussion

poochie,

if you need help bringing your dogs give me an email at :sharpeisara@hotmail.com

i can help.

rachoonchic,

you are totally right all dogs here need chipping and putting on a register, something i am working on with my vet right now. details will follow shortly!

Lilli

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 10:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 63 in Discussion

hi poochie my heart is broken every day.

japeal

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 11:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 63 in Discussion

Poochie, main problem over here is that vets will not put animals to sleep, even in the uk all dogs homes etc have some form of system for animals that they have kept for so long and cannot rehouse. Unfortunately KAR and BARK take animals get full up them can only offer to spey and neuter and return the dogs to where they were found. I know this is heartbreaking, but volunteer run kennels relying on charity to run and having to keep what they have if they cannot rehome just cannot cope. As cruel as it seems sometimes they do what they can. Support them as much as you can and try not to criticise them as they can only provide what the country allows them to.

We brought 2 Staffies over last year, blood tests/ pet passports/ liase with ministry Vet office in Lefkosia email me if you need more, if things have changed maybe some one else can post, our dogs came over March 08 and settled reallly well

japeal

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 11:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 63 in Discussion

Update on original post the dog has been coming and going for the last couple of days, just returned, has had puppies search party out looking locally to try to locate the puppies!

Lilli

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 11:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 63 in Discussion

Hi Japeal.I knew I liked you. Another staffi lover. How are they. I brought my staffi over also. I just love that breed but I now appears that the airlines wont bring them here any more. Mine has settled and has a better life than he did in the UK. Hates the very hot weather though. The two puppies I found now have a home xxxx

japeal

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 11:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 63 in Discussion

hi Lilli, Our staffies love it bit hot for walking after 7am and befor 8pm but the White male has to be draggged out of the sun he loves it, the black bitch just sits by the pool drinking when she wants if she gets to hot she will go to bed. Alfie male aged 7 Penny female aged 8 not related, never used for breeding we love them purely as pets and yes we spoil them

Lilli

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 11:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 63 in Discussion

Hi Japeal. Mine Mojo sleeps all day now. He is getting a few problems in his back legs now. Im often getting aseked if I will use him for breeding but I wont.Like your I spoil him rottten. He is my very best friend and we talk to each other. Well he says OUT. Enjoy them and enjoy your weekend. Me I have to work xxxx

flossie44

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 20:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 63 in Discussion

We went for a walk today on the ridge road round 5 finger mountain. We walked up to Lovers Leap and found a dog there who had no movement in his back legs. We thought he had probably been knocked down and dumped.

We drove to KAR and to their great credit they set off immediately to pick him up. I should imagine he would have to be put down, but that is better than dying slowly in pain and starving,

I intend to ring KAR tomorrow to see what happened.

flossie44

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 20:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 63 in Discussion

flossie44 - this is such a terrible shame, but 'part and parcel' of life in TRNC I am sorry to say. I would hope that a lot of people would have done what you did - we certainly would.

Please keep us posted.

Kind regards.

Jean

everon

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 20:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 63 in Discussion

bless you flossie44- it would be a better world with more people like you xx

japeal

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 21:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 63 in Discussion

RE original post mess 1

Dog has now had 7 puppies, 2 died 5 left will be cared for until old enough to leave mother, but now seeking homes for the puppies in approx 6weeks. If not rehoused puppies will have to be either taken in by KAR/BARK or will have to be got rid off. Anyone looking for a puppy?

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 21:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 63 in Discussion

japeal - I wish you luck with the re-homing of the puppies - I feel, sadly, that you will need it.

This does call into question the attitude of animal welfare in TRNC (yet again).

I know it sounds cruel, but surely a cull of these poor unfortunates would help matter in the long-term?

All the very best and please keep us all posted.

With kind regards.

Jean

Lilli

Message Posted:
24/05/2009 21:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 63 in Discussion

Hi al im crying readiny this. I knowyou have done your best and I know how very much you care please tske carexxxxxx

flossie44

Message Posted:
25/05/2009 22:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 63 in Discussion

Update on dog we found on Sunday. I phoned Kar expecting the dog to have been put down. I could not believe it when they told me they picked the dog up (literally) and took it to the vet. It came marching out of the carrier. Nothing wrong with it. They believe that it has been very badly treated and this creeping way of walking is a response to the violent treatment that its owner has inflicted on it. Anyway it has now been chipped and will be neutered. As with all the stray dogs it will then be relased in an area where there is food.

I am not specially a dog lover but if I was here full time I would keep it as it is a lovely dog.

flossie

japeal

Message Posted:
26/05/2009 08:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 63 in Discussion

1 of the puppies looks to have been promised a home in 6 weeks, 4 to go

japeal

Message Posted:
26/05/2009 14:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 63 in Discussion

another puppy promised a home, only 3 to go

japeal

Message Posted:
26/05/2009 14:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 63 in Discussion

Thanks must go to arnie and kate who are looking after mum and puppies along with wayne and jayne a joint effort is helping to solve this situation

Lilli

Message Posted:
26/05/2009 14:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 63 in Discussion

well done you. you will do it i know hows the mummy xxx

japeal

Message Posted:
26/05/2009 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 63 in Discussion

Lilli

The mommy is fine caring well for pups and is happy to let us handle her pups. Arnie is going to keep the mom after her pups have gone so she has been rehomed.

Lilli

Message Posted:
26/05/2009 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 63 in Discussion

Oh that makes me so happy. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

japeal

Message Posted:
01/06/2009 15:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 63 in Discussion

Just had someone around to look at the puppies, and they claim the mother used to be at the Kings Bar and they beleive that she was 'dropped off' at the carrington homes site with her being pregnant. If this is the dog from the Kings Bar, anyone know what her name was?

Jayne

Message Posted:
02/06/2009 15:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 63 in Discussion

Please can anyone help us in trying to find out this dogs name? We have called her Honey because of her colouring but if we could find out the name she responds to, it would be a great help!

Such a dreadful thing to happen to a pregnant dog, and it has happened to so many people out here who like my family and good neighbours and friends, John and Maureen, have taken dogs in and cared for them.

I spent months earlier this year trying to find a home for a pup we called Holly, who arrived where I work and so many people on this site were a big help to me and very supportive.

If anyone can help rehome one one of these beautiful pups, please let us know. Being a bit hopeful I know.

Lilli

Message Posted:
02/06/2009 16:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 63 in Discussion

Hi Jayne did you ever find a home for Holly. I do so hope that you did.I hope these puppies get rehomed. I know you are all doing all you can. I just cant take any more as it wouldnt be fair of the ones I have

Jayne

Message Posted:
03/06/2009 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 63 in Discussion

Hi Lilli,

I did find a home for Holly and she is settled and very happy. A day after I found a home for her, a lovely lady called Lisa phoned me as she was interested in her too. How typical two come along at once. At least she is safe and happy and loved.

ı know you do everything you can Lilli, you always have done and I am sure, always will do.

Take good care

Jayne

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.