North Cyprus Tourist Board - Tonight with Trevor McDonald covers Orams + home buyers in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Tonight with Trevor McDonald covers Orams + home buyers in TRNC

Tonight with Trevor McDonald covers Orams + home buyers in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

» See All Home Buyers Pressure Group (HBPG) Threads posted so far

» Also look at permission popular tag and purchase popular tag

» HBPG Official Website - www.hbpg-trnc.net

» Read about Orams Case Land Dispute Judgement

» North Cyprus Title Deeds

» Is It Safe to Buy in Northern Cyprus?

High Priest

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 15:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 33 in Discussion

On Fri night 22 May at 8pm on ITV the Tonight prgramme is covering our plight in Northern Cypus .

I hope they report an unbiased view + show both sides of the equation, unlike the BBC who when reporting on the Orams verdict were very one sided !

zcacmxi

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 15:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 33 in Discussion

ITV and the Tonight show is just sensationalist rubbish.

Unbiased? Already the trailer for was talking about demolishing houses! So I would not get your hopes up too much.

paddywack

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 33 in Discussion

Room for one more in the real world,T.V producers do not have an unbiased views,just an eye on the ratings.

Same to be said for newspaper editors,only their eye is on circulation.

karakum5c

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 17:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 33 in Discussion

ITV dont do journalism anymore, they only cater for Sun,Star or Sport newspaper readers.

RickF64

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 17:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 33 in Discussion

IMHO: There is about as much chance of there being an unbiased report on "our plight" as Gordon Brown remaining PM after the next UK elections...........;-)

Stubs

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 17:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 33 in Discussion

What do you mean un-biased?

It has already been proven in various courts of law that the legal owner of the land is the GC refugee. There have been warnings with regards buying GC land for years.

Secondly it is going to be almost impossible for the judgement to be carried out in the TRNC. What happens now is anyones guess.

zcacmxi

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 18:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 33 in Discussion

Stubs: It may have been proven in various courts of law that the current legal owner is the GC refugee, but also currently Cyprus is technically "at war". There has been no "Settlement / end of war Agreement" between the 2 sides. Technically, the situation is one of "Cease Fire".

Until the Cease Fire is followed by an Agreement between the 2 sides, then the legal owners are prevented from using their property. Any claims by one side or other that property is demolished on the other side can not be implemented. Anybody that claims even the remote possibility of property in the North being demolished can not be taken seriously, as war between the 2 sides would proceed that.

More realistically, to end the cease fire, either the 2 sides will agree on a settlement that will resolve the property ownership/use issues, or there will be no end to the cease fire and the current situation will continue.

gooligan

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 18:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 33 in Discussion

If its anything like the last one he did on his show a few years ago it was a load of crap and didn't portray the North in a good light at all.Impartiallity my @rse.

zcacmxi

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 18:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 33 in Discussion

Get ready to file a complaint with Ofcom. See: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/progs/

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 18:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 33 in Discussion

ITV plc Registered Office

ITV plc

200 Gray's Inn Road,

London

WC1X 8HF

ITV Viewer enquiries

Tel: 0844 88 14150

Please call and follow the options to direct your enquiry to the correct department.

If you have any queries or comments about an ITV show, you can email us on:

viewerservices@itv.com

DETAILS TAKEN FROM ITV WEB PAGES .....SENT MY EMAIL ALLREADY LOL

KAV

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 19:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 33 in Discussion

After talking to the Oram's, the ITV crew came to the Pia Bella, but unfortunately they didn't want to hear from anyone about the history of the "Cyprus Problem" or why we are now in this situation due to the GC's hell bent obsession with Enosis and Genocide of the Turkish Cypriots. Munur Doratli, legal advisor to the new government was there to talk about the original Ottoman Turkish Title deeds, which are pertinent to this case, but they did not want to talk to him. Donald Crawford, Ex QC and founder of Eupro was there, but they did not want to talk to him. In short, they wanted to sensationalize the Oram's case and wanted to hear that people were running round like headless chickens. The camera man thought that the Turkish Cypriots had only been on the Island since 1974, and the sound man was Simon Bhaceli, (I believe an Armenian Cypriot) who writes for the Cyprus Mail in the South. Unsurprisingly, he didn't advertise that fact prior to us discovering this. So, yes, it will be bias

High Priest

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 19:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 33 in Discussion

I say 'Unbiased' as a result of BBC 5 live reporting that Mr Apostolides was thrown out of his lovely 5 bedroom villa in Lapta as a direct result of the Turkish invasion , eh . They mentioned nothing of a Greek Military coup , Turkish land in the South being occupied by Greek Cypriots + the possibility of Mr Apostlides owning a holiday home in Polis built on Turkish pre 1974 land ? which has been reported on this Forum .

If ITV are to produce a prgramme on Cyprus lets get all the facts not just the Greek side of the story because they are in the EU or the researchers are not well informed .

Stubs

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 19:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 33 in Discussion

zcacmxi

You may of course be right, it is the view of many that the property issue is one which should be dealt with as part of a settlement and is not a matter for the courts. You can not get away from the facts that courts have still ruled that the original owner of the land is the refugees. This of course applies to TC land in the south to.

Stubs

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 19:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 33 in Discussion

High Priest

Do not believe everything you read on these and other forums. If Mr Apostolidies and its a big IF has a home on TC owned land in Polis it is more than likely that he will not have deeds or the right to sell that property. Of course you have to remember the "If its true......" part. People have made some mad claims on forums from Roman Abromovich, Richard Branson buying huge plots of land here to the opening of a new marina near you, me and everyone in Cyprus the list is endless really.

Stubs

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 19:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 33 in Discussion

One further point

Did the camera crew from the BBC have valid work permits

High Priest

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 19:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 33 in Discussion

I didn't say I believed it , just that it was a posibility + reported on this forum.

I,m just fed up of the Greeks seeming to want everything and are willing to give up nothing.

Do any Greeks really recognise + believe that they will have to give up their hotels, homes, clubs, etc because they are built on pre 1974 Turkish land in the South . If that was the case I don't think the EU ruling + Mr Apostolides efforts would have gone down that well with them .

They seem to have the opinion that this ruling effects only the Turkish Cypriots on exchanged land . With

all the ROC rules regarding a Turkish Cypriot making a claim it probably does .

What is Greek for ' I,m keeping my ball + I want yours also '

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 20:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 33 in Discussion

zcaxmi: "More realistically, to end the cease fire, either the 2 sides will agree on a settlement that will resolve the property ownership/use issues, or there will be no end to the cease fire and the current situation will continue"

But what about people assets and bank accounts in the UK? They may not be able to enforce demolition but they cant stop European arrest warrants.

There was stuff on another thread about disks containing expats names and UK details being sold by TC civil servants from land registry/tapu to the RoC for hard cash. This is a very likely and worrying scenario.

Stubs

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 20:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 33 in Discussion

High Priest quoting some hearsay or tittle tattle as fact gives the impression that you believe it.

May i respectfully recommend that you do some homework with regard TC land in the south. It is forbidden by law to be sold. GC refugees do have houses on TC built land that is true but they do not have deeds for it and they are not permitted to sell it by the laws of the ROC. If there is examples of TC land in the south being sold "illegally" then if this was published it would help the Orams case. If anyone knows of a case like that then it would be helpful if they could publish it.

If what you claim is true that many hotels, clubs, houses etc in the south have been built on TC land in the south then the Orams case does open the floodgates for TC's to claim in the south. This is where it gets interesting though is that many TC's who left land in the south have been compensated with land in the north. I'm sure that i read somewhere that those TC's are forbidden (cont)

Stubs

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 20:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 33 in Discussion

by TRNC law from claiming land in the south. Perhaps someone like Elko could confirm if this is the case.

Stubs

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 20:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 33 in Discussion

Ilovekibris

re msg 17

Hosgeldiniz Kibris ;-)

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 23:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 33 in Discussion

msg 20 "Hosgeldiniz Kibris ;-)"

NAPAN Stubs Effendi !

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
19/05/2009 23:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 33 in Discussion

arbee,

thanks for the stats and info v.v. important for visitors and guests in Cyprus to know both sides suffered from 1974 and are still suffering. Without outside foreign messing about, Cyprus TCs and GCs could have solved the problem years ago.

Hatty

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 00:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 33 in Discussion

arbee,

I am slightly confused re message 21 - "The turkish cypriot properties which have been abandoned in the south, due to the Turkish invasion"

Why would the Turkish Cypriots need to abandon their properties in the south due to the Turkish "invasion"?

Could you explain please?

High Priest

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 02:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 33 in Discussion

Thanks Arbee + Stubs, I have learned something today. How easy or difficult is it for a Turkish Cypriot to place a claim in the South .

Stubs

Message Posted:
20/05/2009 09:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 33 in Discussion

High Priest

The process for a TC claiming land back in the South is a little protracted and there are rules to follow it is not as simple as turning up and saying this is my land/house and get out.

From memory a TC has to live in the south for 6 months before they can apply to get their land back, of course they are not allowed to claim for this expense. Some GC's will have you believe that it is easy for a TC to claim their land back in the south however realistically it does take a long time however i dont believe that there are any cases of land not being handed back. Any public works project built on TC land will be compensated after a settlement. Ive tried to keep it as brief as possible however there are a slightly different set of rules for TC's who lived abroad prior to 1974.

I will try and find a link to a site which will be a little more comprehensive in detail

kikki

Message Posted:
07/06/2009 13:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 33 in Discussion

Hello, Just read this thread backwards, and watched the programme, which was re-screened on Friday night, (5th.) I was disgusted with the programme, which at best porteyed us all as idiots and at worst as greedy oportunists. I was surprised that the Orams haven't complained about it, because I would be far less than happy if I were them. But I suppose that they do have a lot on their plate.

The other side is very organised and consolidated in their campaign to enlighten the rest of Europe. Is there an action group to put the other case in an organised manner? If so I'd like to join. If not, isn't it time that one was started up. I too have emailed a complaint. But seperate appraoches will never be as effective as collective ones.

I'm very interested by the information here about TCs and their land in the south. We could also do with more information on those who are putting forward claims on land in the north. Do we know anything about the female GC featured in this programme?

kikki

Message Posted:
07/06/2009 13:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 33 in Discussion

She appeared to be suitably vague about whether the land showed was hers or not. If you were mounting a case for return of land that had been snatched from you and you had a one-off opportunity to show case your claim on a popular TV show, wouldn't you be more prepared than she looked. I'd have a clearly marked map and any documentary proof that I possessed of ownership. She appeared to be empty handed.

girne 29

Message Posted:
07/06/2009 13:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 33 in Discussion

ilovekibris

"They may not be able to enforce demolition but they cant stop European arrest warrants. "

Arrest warrants for what.?

gillken

Message Posted:
07/06/2009 16:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 33 in Discussion

I thought the programme misleading,

Marion Stokes was made to look a victim of the North South Issue. Marion as the well informed lady expressed herself well, even saying she has no wish to turn back the clock or leave TRNC. Bet most of her interview was cut and on the editors floor What other reason did the ITV have to ask her to wander around her Villa looking so lonely and forlorn. Bet it was nothing to do with the North South Issue!

A whole Village again was made to look part of the North South Issue. Not the victims of a British Con Man

Was surprised that a GC lady took them by sheer chance to land that she did not recognise as her land ,Gosh wasn't it lucky the trees hadn't been chopped down in all those years!!!

Very well orchestrated by ITV.

I think everyone was a victim of this programme

Well done ITV for supporting your own people!!!!!!!!!!!!

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
07/06/2009 16:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 33 in Discussion

kikki wrote: " which at best porteyed us all as idiots and at worst as greedy oportunists"

Although to be fair that description does cover a large proportion of us.

TheSaints

Message Posted:
07/06/2009 16:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 33 in Discussion

Fairer to say ill informed and oblivious to the facts......

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
07/06/2009 16:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 33 in Discussion

girne 29 msg 28,

For trying to dodge court action?

TheSaints

Message Posted:
07/06/2009 16:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 33 in Discussion

ILK

Scaeremongering again, oh humm you really need to change your tack as that one has gotten stale now.

There will be no court actions and no seizure of UK or EU assets and no court within the EU states (except ROC) will find it in the "public interest" of thier country to do so, why because they have not broken the law in thier country or in the TRNC.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.