North Cyprus Tourist Board - Paying your 'council' tax in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Paying your 'council' tax in TRNC

Paying your 'council' tax in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Additional Costs in North Cyprus

glencoe

Message Posted:
23/02/2008 08:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Hi all,

A bit of information that came up at the homebuyers pressure group meeting at the Pia Bella yesterday,

Seemingly you are not liable to pay any council tax to the Belidiere until you get your Kocan, but please check this out for yourselves as it was pointed out (rightly so) by Marion Stokes that these bulletin boards tend to distort things.

also on a show of hands the meeting was overwhelmingly in favour of taking action against a group of dodgy law firms.

jokers2theright

Message Posted:
23/02/2008 11:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Well I have had to pay mine and İ dont have my kocan. Whatsmore they have been charging me for a pool which I dont have (however the difference is minimal) AND to boot the land on which our properties were built have now gone up for auction AND because no Stamp Duty was paid in 2004 will the Court recognise my contract without the stamp and why would I want to pay (even if I had it) the Stamp Duty now with the risk of losing all monies handed to the landowner!

Bradus

Message Posted:
23/02/2008 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

GLENCOE,

will they be announcing which dodgy law firms they will be taking action against? I find it hard to believe that you do not pay any council tax until you get your Kocan because I read somewhere that the average wait for a Kocan is 3-4 years and longer! Can't see councils allowing you to live in your property for this length of time with no payment.

Milou

Message Posted:
23/02/2008 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

jokers2theright

I am sorry to hear of your blight - I am assuming you have contacted HBPG and also been in touch with the TRNC complaints' office? I hope that you can resolve this - lots of good luck!

regards

rtddci

Message Posted:
23/02/2008 14:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

jokers2theright

Your situation sounds to be a nightmare. Please tell us more. With regards the council tax I understood you back paid it when you got your Kocan.

Martin

Bradus

Message Posted:
23/02/2008 15:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

would you tell us the name of your solicitor and builder and the site involved?

Are you alone in this situation or is there a group of you that can support each other?

glencoe

Message Posted:
24/02/2008 03:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Bradus

In the fullness of time I expect they will announce the group they are going to take action against, they must first of all collate all the evidence against these rogue traders (if we can put it like that), they have got a lawyer willing to take on the case and have already started gathering evidence, but I think we must wait and see and not speculate on the boards as it does more harm than good as everybody has opinions and things regularly get misconstrued.

On the bit about you finding it hard to believe about the tax, I can assure you that it was said by the guest speaker and the meeting was packed, the biggest one the homebuyers pressure group has had, and if you read my post I didn't say payment didn't have to be made just that you didn't have to pay it.

I also reccommended that individuals check this out for themselves, I personally have no qualms about paying the tax as our Beliedere is very good, however we still do not have street lighting, I believe the builder has cut it off till our area is 'officially' adopted by the council,

Bradus

Message Posted:
24/02/2008 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Thanks Glencoe,

its good to know where everyone stands. Don't want to be evicted before we have even taken ownership! I hope the HBPG are succesful in their attempt to bring these rogue traders to everyones attention and then we can avoid them like the plague. There are some good lawyers, builders and estate agents on the island and we should be chanelling all new buyers in their direction. As a result people would hopefully be having far more positive experiences and eventually the fear and worry of buying in the TRNC should be eliminated. Confidence in the building market would lead to better investment potential for all concerned. Most of us have far more confidence in the HBPG than any of the official bodies. The solicitor taking on this role on their behalf must love a challenge?

artoned

Message Posted:
24/02/2008 14:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

just pay it and stop moaning your getting the service

glencoe

Message Posted:
24/02/2008 15:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Some people

What does message 9 mean ??

snd1966

Message Posted:
29/03/2010 14:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

The person who's name is on the kocan of the land is responsible but being realistic if you are living in the property i can understand why this person may not want to pay it. When the kocan or change of ownership is changed it MUST be up to date and the fines are getting larger. This tax up to 2007 was small now can be £100 plus

Tuttut

Message Posted:
29/03/2010 14:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

I had to pay mine last year and there was an debt of 1000 odd lira and when i spoke the builder should have paid it but as the new ruling came in i had to pay. This year mine is about 245 tl and have to pay it to belediye

malsancak

Message Posted:
29/03/2010 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

glencoe wrote, "also on a show of hands the meeting was overwhelmingly in favour of taking action against a group of dodgy law firms"

Will that be part of the big HBPG protest on 8th April? Big placards with the law firms names on, photographed by the press will be sure to make them take notice.

Tatlisu4me

Message Posted:
29/03/2010 16:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Think Greg meant last April 8th 2008 Malsancak.

waddo

Message Posted:
29/03/2010 17:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Is the "Council Tax" payable by the owner of the Kocan, the renter of the property or the person who has the lease on the property? All could be different people of course!

Hector

Message Posted:
29/03/2010 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

I'd really like to pay the council tax on my apartment. I'd also like to pay the builder his final payment, pay the taxes and get the Kocan. Only problem is I have been refused PTP. Who wins in that situation? How does that help the TRNC?

Pipie

Message Posted:
29/03/2010 18:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

We started to pay council tax 3 years ago when we took charge of our property . But we did not know then what we know now . The developer is responsible for council tax until it is in your name . When we went for our deeds we had to provide proof of council tax payment other wise deeds would not have ben issued. Although we had proof that we had paid our 3 year council tax in way of receipts a fomal letter was requested by the developer to the local council to prove this had been paid.

Very crafty on the developers side other wise he would have had to have paid the whole of the complex council tax . You live and learn and we would know the ropes next time round so to speak !!

Hector

Message Posted:
29/03/2010 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Should I be paying the council tax even though I don't have the Kocan and wont unless the government scraps the absurd PTP requirement?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.