North Cyprus Tourist Board - New Greek Cypriot President
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > New Greek Cypriot President

New Greek Cypriot President

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

mickb

Message Posted:
24/02/2008 13:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Does anyone know if this will be a good thing for North Cyprus, i have read that the two candidates involved are both willing to resolve the problem but are they just saying that as a tool to become president or is their some truth in this. It is about time someone took control of the situation from the greek side and decided that this conflict has gone on for too long and a peaceful solution could be sought.

Thoughts anyone ?

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
24/02/2008 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

There has been a peaceful solution since 1974

dodger

Message Posted:
24/02/2008 14:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Hello Mick,

Not quite sure what you mean by taking control from the greek side.Dont you think they have to much say already.

artoned

Message Posted:
24/02/2008 14:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Sorry if i seem to be negative but who wants them let this side grow in its own way we dont need there culture. along with it will come a load of misery let this side go its own way good luck and long live Kosnavo. i say

mickb

Message Posted:
24/02/2008 15:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

dodger , i meant by taking control that someone from the greek cypriot goverment will help with the problems that has arisen from a divided country.

i am all for north cyprus to stand on its own and be recognised and hopefully a new greek cypriot president could help this to happen if talks between the 2 sides were more productive.

Dixie Normus

Message Posted:
24/02/2008 15:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Hey Artoned, where Kosnavo? is it was a council estate in Newcastle.

Dixie Normus

Message Posted:

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Less we have to do with the South the better, situation seems fine at the momment to me who wants to see this place ending up as another resort full of larger louts and slappers.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

spot on lovingcyprus. There has been a long period of peace, even if it has been a somewhat uneasy peace.

I can't help but think, that, if there wasn't a land issue then the two sides would remain seperated. By land ,I mean the issue that relates to property ownership and freedom of access.

In addition, there imay be a power issue, or a need to control or dominate the island, and then, there is also the economics involved.

If indeed, the two sides are coming together for the above reasons, then these are the wrong reasons, and eventually it will end in tears. It will only be a temporary marriage of convenience.

If the two sides come together, because, they view the others as their kin, their brothers then coming together is the right thing to do.

The trouble is nobody really knows if they want to come together. Stephen Day in his column in the Cyprus Today mag says that the latest opinion polls show that the two sides do not want to come together. Unfortuntely he does not quote his sources.

Europe has now broken down in to 50 very small states. This is very different from the old days of the Austrian Hungarian , the Ottoman and British empires. These empires were build on military dominance. You could argue that the EU has been built on the same principles, perhaps not military but political dominance. It was developed, as an idea, way back in the 50's as a counter to the Soviet Union.

If you take away the threat of military action, then states break in to smaller and smaller states i.e Yugoslavia has broken down in to seven smaller states including the most recent Kosovo, Scotland is breaking away from England, the basque and Catalonia regions of Spain want to break away from Spain.

It is happening everywhere, and these breaks happen because of subtle ethnic differences.

There seems to be bif differences between GC's and TC's i.e language and religion

Unification is not trendy, it is not current, and it runs counter to what is happening naturally all over Europe. The only recent exception is that of Germany, but Germany has run in to big problems, even though there are not really any ethnic differences between the peoples.

Milou

Message Posted:
02/03/2008 14:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Nice if we're going to see a new ROC president, whose more amenable but remember these words:

Do not trust the horse, Trojans. Whatever it is, I fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts." (Virgil's Aenid, Book two)

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.