North Cyprus Tourist Board - New Legislative law....cont/d
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > New Legislative law....cont/d

New Legislative law....cont/d

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
26/02/2008 19:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Does anyone know if your contract has to be in Turkish in order for you to register it. I heard third hand that it has to be! Yet another spanner in the works I think!

Pipie

Message Posted:
26/02/2008 19:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

yes look on the HPG Site

Newboy

Message Posted:
27/02/2008 18:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Hi Boredhousewife,

Today I was informed that the tax office where you pay the stamp duty will accept your English contract. The other office where you register your contract will not unless it is translated into Turkish.

Does this confuse the issue more!! I hope not

Ray

jakki

Message Posted:
28/02/2008 10:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Hi All -

We have just returned from NC - we attended at the 'Tapu' this is a building next to the Court House in order to registered our contract. You take with you a copy of your passport, and a copy of the stamp duty document and the fee will be 45 ytl. We were told that the law had been changed half an hour before - that a copy of the contract has to have a Turkish translation. Please do not blame the staff at the Tapu they are simply following orders from Head Office. My boyfriend and I were embarrassed to be British at this time, the staff handled the abuse from the Brits very well indeed. We simply returned to our solicitors office (Naomi Mehmet - they are so nice and very helpful) they had just heard the news also. We have left it with them to sort out.

Pebble

Message Posted:
28/02/2008 14:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

There is a reply to an email sent to the Land Registry Office, Property Information office, TRNC Prime Ministry; saying there is no requirement for contracts to be translated into Turkish. You will find it under the 'Sweetwater Bay' link message 38. Having ploughed through the numerous messages/complaints on the SeaTerra forum regarding the same issue it would appear to be yet another scam brought about by some lawyers inconjuntion with developers and sales agents trying to add to the confusion in a bid to extort more money out of the British buyer. My contract is in English and my lawyer intends to lodge the contract in English, let's see if he will have any problems!! Reading through the SeaTerra forum the demand for Turkish translations only appears to be made when buyers try to lodge the contracts themselves to avoid the lawyers admin fee. Let's just hope the legal action against the Bar Counsel shakes them all up.

elko2

Message Posted:
28/02/2008 14:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Pebble, msg. 5:

Can you give the link please so that we may comment on it. It must be referring to a very old message which must be out of date but let us have the facts properly before a final comment.

ismet

jock1

Message Posted:
28/02/2008 15:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

WAS told this morning that the contract has to be on turkish

told by my lawyer that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elko2

Message Posted:
28/02/2008 15:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Pebble, msg. 5:

Can you give the link please so that we may comment on it. It must be referring to a very old message which must be out of date but let us have the facts properly before a final comment.

ismet

Pebble

Message Posted:
28/02/2008 15:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Hi elko2

Go to topic Sweetwater Bay message 38 it was posted on the 15/02/08. Reading the SeaTerra forum it appears to be hit and miss depending on who you are dealing with, some ask for a Turkish translation some do not, depending on the greed factor. Facts are very hard to come by in N Cyprus as the property law and the market is in such a mess and is distorted to suit the situation. The Land Registry in Girnie accepts contracts in English but the Land Registry in Famagusta accepts them in English on day and then asks for a Turkish translation the next. If the LR offices are unclear how can we know what is right! It's a complete shambles.

elko2

Message Posted:
28/02/2008 15:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Pebble msg. 5

Now I have seen the post you referred to dated 15th February and I am sorry but that is history. Now Turkish translation is required.

ismet

Fazack

Message Posted:
28/02/2008 15:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Afraid so,

I was turned away from famagusta on 14 feb - they day after they changed the rules. At that time Girne was accepting English, now they too want turkish. I have had this from my solicitor though:

Unfortunately not only Famagusta but Girne is also asking now for Turkish translation and as lawyers we have given them notice that unless they withdraw this decision we shall not register any contract

Regards,

Talat

It might be worth waiting a bit to see if they change their minds in view of at least a few lawyers not playing ball. (ours has over 500 contracts so can't get them all translated before the deadline of 8 April)

elko2

Message Posted:
28/02/2008 16:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Pebble msg. 9

I sympathise with you about who to believe. Lots of wrong and misleading information coming from Prime Minister's Office, the Home Buyers Pressure Group and some Lawyers. I have been doing my best to minimise them but I can do so much. My posts on TRNC Villa Owners have probably exceeded 100 just on this subject and to this date I stand to be corrected on any single post. Although I am an electrical engineer and not a lawyer I have contacted many trials in my name at all levels including the constitutional court and take great joy and play with the finer points of the law. I always say that a good amateur is better than a professional.

ismet

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.