North Cyprus Tourist Board - DOG / RUBBISH situation in the North
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > DOG / RUBBISH situation in the North

DOG / RUBBISH situation in the North

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

SpiritDancer

Message Posted:
26/05/2009 16:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Hello everyone. I have been living in RoC for over two years now and have yet to get used / immune to the constant barking of dogs that are tied up and / or penned in too small cages with no human contact except to be thrown food scraps. Can you let me know what the 'dog' situation is in your parts. And do Cypriots hunt with dogs in the North? Also do you have litter dropped / left everywhere -even spoiling the coastal / beach areas. And all manner of household refuse just abandoned in what become unofficial rubbish tips? l am thinking seriously of moving to the Kyrenia area but am hesitate to do so if you are facing these issues on the same scale. I think (apart from these two things) that Cyprus is a wonderful place to be. Plenty of positve points and experiences including the locals, whom I have always found witty, warm and welcoming ...

Thanks for your imput ...

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
26/05/2009 16:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

A lot worse on this side I'm afraid, and no enforcement or environmental health whatsoever. In the south you have £500 penalties for littering, cleaner streets and beaches and people who take a pride in their country. In the north some areas resemble an open rubbish dump and only a handful of people who care. Also if you are working you may be better off where you are.

japeal

Message Posted:
26/05/2009 16:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Come live out east of kyrenia towards Esentepe/Tatlisu only dog problems are when uncaring owners dump their dogs!

phylray

Message Posted:
26/05/2009 17:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

I believe they do hunt with dogs in the Karpaz at times. There are one or two strays around our village

near Esentepe and owners are pressing for a humane solution to this problem. Beach nearby has been

cleaned up but not properly yet, and it is an ongoing cause for annoyance.

Lilli

Message Posted:
26/05/2009 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

hI siritdancer Im afraid you see suffering all the time coupled with poisings and adonded dogs after.hunting lots of rubbish on beaches and thrown into the sea like car tyres etc Dogs are tied up or thown in front of expats houses. They are also kept in cages here. However as you say i is a lovely place and once you get your head around it no matter how much you wont accept it we have to accept it as thie culture xx

the butler

Message Posted:
26/05/2009 21:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Spiritdancer,

I agree with japeal. down the coast east of Kyrenia to Esentepe and Tatlisu. the stray dog problems and barking are not a huge problem. A lot of the estates have a no dog policy in place. Fly tipping doesn't seem to be as bad this way either. I agree that it is their custom and they have lived like this for generations but if they want more tourists, they need to be educated and I think starting in the schools and hefty fines for anyone tipping rubbish is the answer. Also builders who seem to be the worst culprits, need to be told that leaving rubbish all over when they have finished a site is not acceptable.

natalie

Message Posted:
26/05/2009 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

My last post went into the wrong topic. Sorry new on here and i will repeat in the five years i have lived here, the rubbish problem has improved ten fold. Strays, yes still a huge problem but improving. You do not see as much HORRIBLE animal cruelty as you did when I first came, and comeonlets look at Europe and in fact the UK. ? Rose tinted glasses or what?

SpiritDancer

Message Posted:
27/05/2009 14:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Hi everyone

Replying here to all seven of you who answered me ... seems nothing likely to change on those two fronts then if /when I move to North. I have lost counto of the number of dogs I have taken to Paphiakos CCP Animal Welfare in Pafos - I can't do much about it but equally I can't turn a blind eye to the animals I come across. Here in our village we have 3 of us who do "rubbish dump" duty - pulling out the abandoned new born pups who are thrown on the tip usually in plastic bags. So I am no stranger to what you are telling me.

Seems as if I need to pick my location very carefully to minimise impact ..... would appreciate more advice of good areas to live - I have a dog and cats - am always wary of the poisoning threat here .... like to take my dog for nice long runs off lead .... more suggestions anyone??? I work for myself from home via international comms networks so no problems on work front ... I guess thats one bonus ....

Thanks all

the butler

Message Posted:
27/05/2009 15:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Spiritdancer,

I would recommend that you move down the coast road East of Kyrenia, the sea and mountains are closer here and it is quieter and more scenic. Lots of lovely long walks for your dogs, you would need a car as it is a 20 minute drive from Kyrenia and at the moment dolmus service is limited. Esentepe village has lots of small shops and a post office plus supermarket. Why not come over the side for a visit and have a drive down this way.

The butlers wife

SpiritDancer

Message Posted:
28/05/2009 17:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Hello to the Buters wife ....

Thanks for your information ... am looking forward to a trip up North very soon .. and now have plenty to go on ...

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.