North Cyprus Tourist Board - 3G Newbie Help Please
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > 3G Newbie Help Please

3G Newbie Help Please

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

CatalkoyJohn

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 19:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

I have just signed up to Turkcell 3G. When it is good I am happy. Hopefully the experienced users can solve my queries:-

When I try to connect to a page and it fails, it seem to stop all future connections and i have to cloe KKTCELL internet and start again. Worse still I have to reboot the whole computer because when I "disconnect" it still seems to be running - I get this message "The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly"

Rebooting normally solves it but it very irksome. Help please??

Also any tips on 3G at all welcome. I have found that it does not work in the lounge, but works in the kitchen or ( like now ) outside on the patio?

Also I find Firefox useless but IE6 works Ok, what browsers do you find fast? eg Opera?

thanks to all in anticipation.

John

wanderer

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 19:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

My firefox died and corrupted this time over so I'm using Google Chrome no problem I will sort firefox out when I'm on UK broadband

The signal is line of sight to the transmitter .I've had this situation in the UK and am OK here as I'm high up and probably have a clear line to the transmitter

If its playing up try uninstalling it and re installing it do it where you have the strongest signal though

I'm about a mile or so away from you

waddo

Message Posted:
29/05/2009 20:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Opera works the best with 3G (Turkcell) from the Ozankoy area - well it is for me anyway. Firefox is a non-starter with my system. You do not have to reboot but you need to close down the software! If you lose the signal then disconnect and close the software, then open the software again and re-connect, that will normally solve the problem.

I have both Turkcell and Telsim 3G modems and connections and in my area of Ozankoy - about 500 mtrs away from Star Bowling the TelSim system is much better and seems to be faster more often than not. Also have 5 bars on TelSim with the modem downstairs anywhere but with Turkcell I have my modem on the end of a 16 mtr USB cable on the top of the roof just to get 4 bars.

Good luck - Telsim costs me 45 YTL a month for 3Gb download and Turkcell is 60 YTL for 4Gb download - have never used more than 2Gb as I don't download films so TelSim will be the one I keep.

greengate8

Message Posted:
30/05/2009 10:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Hi John

Your problem is possibly related to a conflict between 'network connections' which may already be set up on your system, such a 'LAN'

If you are using windowsXP or vista - Try disabling any other network connections, shown on your system, then uninstalling 3G and re-installing it, which allows the software to find its own settings.

You should also set 3G to 'only UMTS' which then forces a fast connection.

I have posted other hints on previous posts for good reception, so search the BB for postings on 3G, as there is not enough space to list them all on a single posting.

Hope this helps

GG

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
30/05/2009 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

i have just put in my first 70 nlira's worth, after the initial set up and first months use. It now says it can't find the remote computer. Where is the remote computer and what should I do?

CatalkoyJohn

Message Posted:
01/06/2009 16:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Graham

Thanks. I tried as suggested - but still have to completely reboot after the connection fails. I assume no else has this problem? Also the service is very touch and go here in Catalkoy. Have I made a mistake going 3G Turkcell. I tried the the telephone help to no avail. Is it woth visiting the Turkcell shop personally?

thanks John

wanderer

Message Posted:
01/06/2009 18:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

John

I've emailed you with an offer to see if its the transmitter or your equipment

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.