North Cyprus Tourist Board - Border problems
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Border problems

Border problems

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

Toon Army

Message Posted:
09/04/2007 18:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 90 in Discussion

When we came over in May 2006 we flew to Larnaca airport and drove over the Nicosia border. No problems going from south to north however on our way back to catch our flight home we were stopped by the Greek police at the border, had our suitcase checked and all our paperwork taken off us.They also took phoptocopies of our passports. Has anyone else had problems at the border or do you fly to Ercan.If anyone flies to Ercan who do you fly with. We fly to Larnaca as it is a lot cheaper. Any one had any good deals to Ercan airport ? Please let me know.

B&BLondon

Message Posted:
09/04/2007 21:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 90 in Discussion

We are going to fly into Larnaca for the fist time in April - we found Thomas Cook flights much cheaper than any other - i'm a bit apprehensive and your message hasn't made me feel any better!

We know lots of people who have flown in and out of Larnaca without any problems, so maybe its just how the Greeks are feeling on the day!

We have also booked for May 25th (start of half term) to Ercan with Turkish Airlines from Stansted for about £250 (£77 of which goes to Mr Brown!) We had little choice because my friend is a teacher so we were limited to when we could travel.

spireite

Message Posted:
09/04/2007 22:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 90 in Discussion

Just returned to UK after a week in Cyprus, flew with Thomas Cook into larnaca, no problems at the border either way. From what I gather it has been a bit more relaxed going North to South recently.

Hope you have short legs, never had so little leg room on a flight, Thomas Cook are the cheapest but also the most uncomfortable.

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
09/04/2007 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 90 in Discussion

There are no problems going from North to South PROVIDED you DO NOT have any documentation relating to property in the North.

If you have any docs you need in the UK post them to yourself from the North before you leave.

butters

Message Posted:
09/04/2007 23:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 90 in Discussion

Returned to UK yesterday no problems at the border just checked the passport,

customs officer never left his cabin.

Good flight with 1st Choice Holidays , flight only booked on line at a very good price.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
10/04/2007 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 90 in Discussion

We live her perm. but would never take the chance of finding a customs officer on a bad day so always fly from Ercan. Might cost more but that is our choice.

Also it is not just one way have seen days with 8/10 South side hire cars waiting to be searched by our customs on our side. Do not forget all cars are readily identified by number plate.

As for carrying documents, just don't!!!!!!!!! Other than passport do you need the original of any document?? Why not scan contracts etc on to PC and download onto printer here either in internet cafe, your estate agent or friend. Far safer all around. Also I would not recommend posting originals, these are valuable documents. Either fly to Ercan or ask someone to take them out through Ercan for you.

The chances of being searched and documents confiscated are slim but why take that risk.

David

ttoli

Message Posted:
10/04/2007 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 90 in Discussion

The other thing that they look for is cigarettes, they allow each person 2 packs (40), any thing over that they fine you for.for flights to Ercan try http://www.greenislandholidays.com (N. London), but now summers here Charters are far cheaper

Mountain Edge

Message Posted:
11/04/2007 15:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 90 in Discussion

We fly into the south all the time and have had no problems at all at the Border. We do get stopped for passport and a look in the boot but they take my word that we have no cigarettes or alcohol, which we haven't, and have never been searched yet. Touch wood.

Toon Army, with a name like that you must be from Newcastle even though you are down as Barnsley.

Mountain Edge

Message Posted:
11/04/2007 15:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 90 in Discussion

ps I would fly into Ercan but from up here in Newcastle it is easier to go via south.

Have flown Thomas Cook and XL as well as others and found XL to have good legroom. I am booked to fly Thomsonfly next time so will have to wait and see what they are like. Anybody flown with them before?

malteser

Message Posted:
11/04/2007 23:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 90 in Discussion

returned from north cyprus today - flew out of ercan - obviously a longer flight but very straight forward and a great airport - 10 minute delay! Last year, flew into/out of larnaca with XL - was stopped at border and had suitcases searched - Greeks just wanting to make their presence felt and be a nusiance -found but did not confiscate my infomation on different properties - then had a 24 hour delay returning home - XL have a reputation for combining several flights onto one plane as was our experience - Larnaca airport is also awful - will not repeat the experience for any price!

Patience

Message Posted:
12/04/2007 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 90 in Discussion

Just flew in yesteray from Larnaca with Thomas Cook. The flight was OK but the legroom was really bad, and the seats really uncomfortable. It was near impossible to get comfy, and have any sort of shut eye. Will try Ercan next time we think, even if it does take a little longer.

We got thru the border OK - just a check of the passports and suitcase. It wasn't much bother really.

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
12/04/2007 19:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 90 in Discussion

Hi

Why do they check suitcases at the border? Are they funny about property details or stuff like that even when you are crossing south to north?

livethedream

Message Posted:
12/04/2007 21:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 90 in Discussion

We flew into Larnarca last February. No probs either way, although they did open my suitcase on the way back but we weren't kept long. Just heard from our travel agent that CTA have added an extra £120 or so to our holiday tickets for this summer so have swapped to Pegasus (new company flying to Ercan) and they are about £16 pp cheaper than the original CTA price so you might want to look at their prices.

malteser

Message Posted:
13/04/2007 02:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 90 in Discussion

anyone got any info on pegasus flights - when i commented on the usual 'cheeriness' and dismissiveness of the CTA staff on the flight home this week, pegasus was mentioned - someone said not to bother - they wouldn't recommend them for quality of service - can anyone also comment on amount of leg room, punctuality etc.

Kitty1

Message Posted:
16/04/2007 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 90 in Discussion

I do Larnanca all the time as I find the whole up-down-up-down thing of flying from Ercan too much like hard work and the prices of the flights can be high I also find the serive on CTA is terrible.

I've never ever had a problem over the border. Yes, they check our cases sometimes but it's never been an issue as we've never carried paperwork or cigarettes/alcohol. I wouldn't let one bad time put you off as flying out of Larnanca gives you a lot more options and flexibility.

Toon Army

Message Posted:
16/04/2007 16:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 90 in Discussion

sorry about the late reply to toonarmy from Barnsley.Yes I am a Geordie who has married a Yorkshire lass.Been in Barnsley for about 15 years but I am still Black & white at heart.May even have a black & white bedroom in my new property in Esenteppe.

B&BLondon

Message Posted:
14/05/2007 19:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 90 in Discussion

Just returned from TRNC. Flew Larnaca for the first time and had our car hire company (from North) pick us up. No problems at border - we were asked going North to South if we had cigarettes or alcohol, and customs officer did pen our suitcase and havee quick look. Check in at Larnaca was horrendous.

Overall, i would still prefer to fly to Ercan, even with the 'up-down-up-down-up-down' business! Personally, i was nervous at the crossing even though i had no reason to be.

Remember to add on the £40 transfer cost and the fact that to buy cigarettes at Ercan are much cheaper than at Larnaca (for a friend - honest!)

pilgrim

Message Posted:
14/05/2007 23:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 90 in Discussion

My partner and I make 5/6 trips a year via Larnaca, never any trouble both greek and turkish very friendly at famagusta crossing. Booking early british airways or cyprus airways usually around 200pounds plus 40 taxi, good service, reasonable legroom and pretty good time-keeping only 4hours direct, over to you Ercan!

cheers

p

eager

Message Posted:
26/05/2007 23:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 90 in Discussion

just got back..via larnaca..no probs at all straight through.

Oknala

Message Posted:
29/05/2007 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 90 in Discussion

Always flown to Larnaca, never been any bother at crossings, either way, but South do want to know if you know the limit for ciggies and drink, once we were over limit with drink and told the South, but no problem. I'd love to fly to Ercan, but it's so expensive, and some people have told me planes and staff not v nice to passengers.

Good tip when going from North to South, get out of car and open the boot ready for inspection - that goes down well, they kind of have a quick look, and wish you a good journey. I respect each both side, and I won't take what I'm not allowed into the North, anymore than I take into the South what's not allowed.

BTW, is it right now that we can buy honey in the South as well and take it into the North? No, I am not being sarcastic, it's little things like this that show each side is getting more lenient with each other.

natjay

Message Posted:
02/06/2007 05:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 90 in Discussion

got ba flights to paphos in july 07 with teleticket travel for £170 all in! Ba.com wanted £260

had bad experiances with xl and first choice did BA and would always go BA again

dodger

Message Posted:
29/07/2007 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 90 in Discussion

did the metehan crossing july 2007no probs border police very friendly,distinct lack of sin posting for the border though

Verticalsmile

Message Posted:
01/08/2007 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 90 in Discussion

excellent lets all pump money into the Greek Cypriot aviation authority and local economy, and then slag off CTA and Turkish Airways for their poor service its a shame to see people coming to buy in the TRNC while not supporting the economy by flying with our airlines.

Susie

Message Posted:
01/08/2007 16:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 90 in Discussion

Vertical smile - personally i agree with your sentiments but not sure if i would have put it in quite those terms

norths4me

Message Posted:
01/08/2007 16:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 90 in Discussion

Vertical smile,

Nice sentiment and agree to a certain extent. CTA cancelled their service out of Scotland & Ireland therefore making it to expensive & unpraticle to fly to Ercan from the South of England.

If flights were available even once a week from Scotland then I would fly to Ercan before the Southern airports. If CTA want more support then they have to provide a better service in lots of ways for travellers ie flights from more regional airports improved prices and improved customer pr or else they will not survive in a competitive market.

Verticalsmile

Message Posted:
01/08/2007 16:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 90 in Discussion

My wife took our 6 month old daughter to the Ledra border last week and was kindly told by the GC's that our daughter was free to cross to the darkside but my wife would have to return to the sunnyside.

Charming bunch don't ya think!?!

stevie-d

Message Posted:
01/08/2007 17:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 90 in Discussion

Vertical Smile I agree with Norths4me. I live in Scotland always travelled CTA then they stopped the flights, now flying from Stanstead, Heathrow or Gatwick is a pain. I have never flown to Larnaca but I`m seriously considering this opotion.Wish CTA or one of the other airlines would fly from Scotland.

wearytravellers

Message Posted:
02/08/2007 00:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 90 in Discussion

My wife and I fly Turkish Airlines into Istanbul (stopover), then onward to Ercan after we spend a couple of days sightseeing. Has anyone ever thought of doing that ? the cost difference is marginal and the service is good. We normally stay at the Yigitalp hotel, small, but clean and comfortable and close enough to all the main attractions. foe a few pence, you can get tokens for the Trams and they go everywhere........great fun.

Seriously give it a go if you can, you will not be dissapointed !

davidoff

Message Posted:
02/08/2007 01:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 90 in Discussion

Hi all,

Would also have to agree with vertical smile that we should be supporting trnc otherwise the GCs will think aahhh.... great tourism is booming in SC but really everyones hoping over the borders!!

But yes lack of flights to ercan and not being able to fly direct is a major issue that needs to be resolved and Im sure once it is then more will go ercan instead!!!

As at the moment people will always try to find cheaper and easier options to go to cyprus!

Roll on direct flights- then SC will soon see the money and tourists plummet!!

See ya D

jac k

Message Posted:
01/11/2007 22:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 90 in Discussion

We recently flew from Stansted to Ercan (with T.A.) stopping over at Istanbul - the service was excellent & staff most helpful and accomodating. My husband is 6ft 6 tall and really struggles with B.A. flights (even with xtra leg room) but on the Turkish flight the leg room was huge (& we were in regular seats). Our biggest hassle was getting a connecting flight from Newcastle to Stansted & had to wait 4 hours due to the time differences and the 3 hours needed for check in!! I would fly Turkish everytime - just wish we could get flights from Newcastle or Teesside. Also, flight was punctual, luggage turnaround very speedy and in flight food was far better than our recent flight with Thomas Cook.

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/11/2007 23:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 90 in Discussion

hi there guys

vertical smile is correct (a bit harsh but direct)

you know what it is with kthy when they intially started as a airline they only catered for the turkish cypriots who mostly lived in london, manchester and birmingham because n cyprus was not known for tourisim and now thats changing

i must say i do know someone who works for cta who is north cyprus's holiday company in london and he said to me even thou they have been talking about it for some time they mite possibley start a limited service running from airports more north than manchester he also said the best way to acheive this is to send emails requesting this direct to kthy so this might be a good start

ps wearytravellers are right for sense of adventure go to istanbul many great sites and steped in history and is the only place where the mediterranean meets asia i love the place i visit it many times im only 30mins away by plane

in marmaris where i spend most of the time aswell as n cyprus

regards to all

Perry

Message Posted:
02/11/2007 13:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 90 in Discussion

Is there a web site you can book flights to Ercan with KTHY or Turkish Airlines ? Turkish says they do not have permission to sell and I cant get on to KTHY

ukturk

Message Posted:
02/11/2007 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 90 in Discussion

hi perry

below ive provided a link to their website they have also started e-booking so you can book direct with instead of going through a middle man (agent)

or you can phone them directly on their greater london office

Tel: (+44) 207 241 5523 email north@kthylondon.co.uk

inner london office number is Tel: (+44) 2079304851

their email is info@kthylondon.co.uk

or i know of two agents that provide cheap tickets one is cta based again in london Tel: (+44) 0870 600 1123

and the other one is diplomat travel tel no (+44) 207 730 2201

these agents specialize in turkey and north cyprus so you will get a good deal from them

good luck and hope this helps you

regards

ukturk

dodger

Message Posted:
29/11/2007 21:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 90 in Discussion

is it true that the tukish police on the border crossings are starting to confiscate items from people,even chocolate bars from babies.

simbas

Message Posted:
29/11/2007 22:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 90 in Discussion

oh dodger you must be jesting ,i have'nt heard anything like that happening

regards simbas

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
29/11/2007 23:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 90 in Discussion

I don't think dodger is joking

pilgrim

Message Posted:
29/11/2007 23:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 90 in Discussion

dodger, sounds like GC propaganda to me crossed border dozens of times ,trnc police always polite and friendly.

simbas

Message Posted:
29/11/2007 23:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 90 in Discussion

same here we have had no problems either , where did you hear that dodger ?

Bradus

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 00:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 90 in Discussion

Perhaps this is the source? Surprise, surprise it GC!

North police take candy from a baby

By Jean Christou

AUTHORITIES IN the north have resorted to taking candy from a baby – literally, according to reports of a clampdown on Turkish Cypriots shopping in the south.

“They have grabbed the chocolate bar from the child’s hand,” read the headline in yesterday’s Afrika newspaper, which describes how a Turkish Cypriot police officer at the Ayios Dhometios crossing grabbed the chocolate bar from a two-year-old child’s hand and threw it away.

The chocolate bar was purchased in the south by the child’s father after a visit to an amusement park.

One of the chocolate bars was in the plastic bag. The other one was in the hands of the child who was eating it, Afrika said.

“Do you know what our custom guards did? They seized the chocolate bar which was in the bag as ‘illegal item’ and they took the other chocolate bar from the hands of the child and threw it in the garbage.”

Over the last two weeks, reports of harassment and ‘terrorisation’ of Turkish Cypriot shoppers have been on the increase. The reports have drawn heavy fire from political parties and unions in the north and there have been calls to place EU observers at the crossing points.

Last Saturday another Turkish Cypriot man who bought two office chairs for £35 each had both seized at Ayios Dhometios. Officers dealing with smuggling were called to the checkpoint and the man wad fined 117 Turkish lira (£40).

The man said he would refuse to pay and would prefer to go to court, but the ‘Finance Minister Ahmet Uzun said the chairs were not covered by the €135-euro shopping allowance limit. Uzun said the allowance concerned only shopping for presents.

At least two papers likened the clampdown to the sixties when TMT member Cemal Hordan initiated the ‘Turk to Turk’ campaign.

Referring to Hordan, one paper said he used to beat Turkish Cypriots who bought goods from Greek Cypriots and fined any Turkish Cypriot caught speaking Greek, two shillings for every word they said.

Afrika’s Sener Levent said it was obvious that Turkish Cypriot authorities would have closed the crossing points by now if they could.

Communal Democracy Party (TDP) deputy Mustafa Akinci told ‘parliament’ that Turkish Cypriots were being harassed at the crossing points.

He said instead of the authorities in the north resorting to intimidation, they should just inform people what they could or could not purchase.

Bradus

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 00:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 90 in Discussion

Perhaps a more accurate portrayal?

North authorities clamp down on south purchases

By Elias Hazou

AUTHORITIES IN the north are clamping down on Turkish Cypriots shopping in the south.

According to the Turkish Cypriot media, a number of people returning to the north have been fined ostensibly for exceeding the 135 euro limit on the value of goods purchased in the government-controlled south.

In one case, a Turkish Cypriot who bought two office chairs had them confiscated at the checkpoint by ‘police’.

The man was then fined £40 for this violation, the same reports said.

Under the banner ‘Caution: severe fines’, Kibris warned Turkish Cypriots that the regime was implementing its crackdown on shoppers.

It said that authorities there were concerned that too much money was being spent in the south.

Other newspapers carried comments by Turkish Cypriot ‘Finance Minister’ Ahmet Uzun, who said that the 135 euros quota did not apply to such items as furniture.

Uzun also claimed that most consumer goods in the north were cheaper than in the south, contrary to popular perception among Turkish Cypriots.

The crackdown has been debated in the Turkish Cypriot parliament, with opposition parties saying authorities’ actions were in breach of the Green Line Regulation.

Last March reports surfaced that Turkish Cypriot customs police might act to prevent all trade with the Greek Cypriot side, including shopping, if the government continued to block the implementation of a direct trade agreement between the north and the EU.

The Green Line Regulation introduced by the EU in the aftermath of Cyprus’ accession to the bloc.

The regulation was introduced as a way of kick-starting trade between the Greek and Turkish Cypriot communities after the Greek Cypriot side’s rejection of the UN’s Annan plan to reunite the island in 2004.

Gooner

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 90 in Discussion

Hello

Wıth xmas fast approachıng Im sure the guards at the border wıll have a wry smıle on thıer faces as they contımue wıth theır searches!

Recently a freınd returned wıth a table football game for hıs kıds and was asked to pay tax at the border for ıt. He prompty turned around and returned the ıtem.

Others have complaıned that they are heavıly scrutınısıng all purchases, and at tımes matchıng ıtems wıth receıpts. Oh well, Im off 2moro fıngers xssed need a pool table and have a massıve cravıng for fresh cream!

Probably end up stuffıng my face ıf they even mentıon confıscatıng the cakes!

Georgie Girl

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 14:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 90 in Discussion

i travelled accross the border yesterday with a friend who actually asked a customs official what we could bring back..

His reply was absolutley nothing!!!!!!!

On our return we asked again and were told 135e worth of goods but no meat dairy or supermarket shopping..also it could depend on who was on duty !!

People in the north are being forced to buy their shopping in the south as its almost half the price of the shops here.

When the shop owners put their prices down ,people will be more inclined to support them instead of being ripped off!

Lets not also forget my money is mine to spend where i want to spend it ,not where i'm told to.

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 15:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 90 in Discussion

When we were over in October we went to Ikea in a large taxi (Vito) and bought back £450 worth of stuff and were not asked a single question! we took the chance but were told if you are in a taxi they dont generally stop you as they think you are being transported from the airport.

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 15:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 90 in Discussion

This may be a way round things, take one or two suitcases with you put a luggage label on them so as it looks as if you have just landed at Larnaca and are coming to the TRNC on holiday. I would have thought it would be unlikely that they search them.

ukturk

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 15:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 90 in Discussion

hi guys

i dont know what crosing you guys use but me family and friends all go over a lot and we go over using the famagusta crossing and when i was over in october my friend bought a ps3 from carrefour and we treated ourselves and spent over 200euros on food shopping like cheese-sauces-chocs for the other half and loads of other stuff because any english products in turkey are expensive we came back got stopped they looked in the car full of items and they did not bater a eye lid even thou we was talking to them in turkish

so maybe if you guys getting greif at any of the other crossings should use the one in famagusta

regards

ukturk

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 16:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 90 in Discussion

ukturk

You crossed in October and were ok, since the middle of November there has been a clampdown so wherever you now cross you risk having stuff confiscated.

Georgie Girl

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 90 in Discussion

thats right depending of course whos on duty and what mood they are in !!!

Its outrageous.Who ever makes up the rules here as is most often the case will change them again and again and again ,there is never any continuity to the rules and regs here,we'd all be alot happier if we knew where we stood with things and everyone was singing from the same song sheet!

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 17:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 90 in Discussion

Georgie Girl

Bit like the UK them Labour make up the rules then ignore them

Alasian

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 18:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 90 in Discussion

South Eastern Europe is very different from North and Western Europe. Unfortunately Cyprus is in one of the least developed parts of Europe in many aspects-work discpline,infrastructure,cultural understanding, etc.

So, you must be clear about what you are expecting. For example, when was the last time the Scottish have killed the whole English village or the English the whole Scottish village just because they were English/Scottish? I reckon "at least" more than a century ago maybe twice,three times that. But in Cyprus just 30 years ago, innoncent children, women,men were massacred just for the language they speak or the religion they belong to.

Here is a documentary by a Greek Cypriot about Greek terrorists killing all of the villagers of Murataga,Atlilar and Sandallar villages in 1974.

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-7695688617775364591

Here are some quick facts to get you going about the Cyprus problem:

*In 1963 Greek Cypriots(GCs) occupied the common Republic of Cyprus(RoC), and since then the whole world calls the GCs Cyprus or RoC and call us the poor little TC minority. This is like Germany occupying England, calling the occupation government the English government and the whole world accepting the occupation government as the English government, isolating the real English government in favour of the occupation power.

*Since 1963, GCs have had the sole use of the legislative,executive and judiciary powers of the RoC, effectively turning it into a GC state.

*Between 1963 and 1974, the GCs tried to exterminate us, yet the whole world called and still calls their leadership "Cyprus" not just GC leadership.

*Between 1963 and 74, THOUSANDS of TCs were massacred and the current leader of the GCs, the barbarian named Papadopullos today says that "Not a single TC was killed between 63 and 74"

Yet the whole world calls him the "Cyprus President" not the GC president.

*The 1974 operation brought peace to the Turkish Cypriots, but the whole world recognises it as the invasion of Cyprus, as if the GCs were the only owners and their objection is enough to deem it as an occupation.

*Between 1974 and 1983, we have found the Turkish Cypriot Federated State of Cyprus and waited for the GCs to join us in a federation.

*But the GCs kept on getting richer using the stolen title "Republic of Cyprus" and didnt want to give up their occupation of the state.

*Contrary to the intransigence of the GCs, North Cyprus even after 1974 kept on being embargoed.

*We cannot export our national cheese hellim/halloumi, yet the GCs are exporting hundreds of millions of pounds worth halloumi into EU.

*We cannot fly directly to our country, but we have to land first in Turkey. So,rightfully some of the tourists,residents and Cypriots choose to land in south and pass over to north cyprus. The result is Our airports and airlines losing profit that belongs to north cyprus.

*We cannot get low interest credit from International institutions as GCs have been exploiting those resources since 1963. The GCs have built fantastic high ways all around south cyprus while we are still struggling to have very simple 2 lane roads between our cities as we cannot get credit from anywhere but Turkey.

*There are 6 Universities in North Cyprus with around 50 thousand students. But these students are punished and they cannot join the European student exchange programs.

*No Turkish Cypriot sportsman/woman can ever compete in an international competition.

*No foreign team can play any type of match with a TC team.

*If a ship stops at a Turkish Cypriot harbour, the Greek Cypriots will arrest the captain in case he travels to South Cyprus.

*There are 6 European Parliament seats reserved for Cyprus. 2 of them legally belong to Turkish Cypriots but the GCs occupied the seats and the TC MPs go to the parliament mee

dy1259

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 18:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 90 in Discussion

Alasian,

Pleased to see you back with your usual excellent and informative posts.

Donna

dodger

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 21:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 90 in Discussion

Thanks guys,

Got sucked in again by that big nasty greek propaganda machine silly me.

Georgie Girl

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 22:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 90 in Discussion

i am in no doubt as to what you say in the above,but despite all that the government needs to apply rules and stick to them.This would surely go a long way to building relations within the large expat com here and would generate greater support.We all love it here or we wouldnt be here,but need basic reasurrances rules that EVERYONE follows and that are still in place 2 weeks after they are enforced.

suntanman

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 22:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 90 in Discussion

I used the Famagusta crosing point 4 times within a two week period in a southern cyprus hire car, I wasn't asked to open the boot on any of the crossings from south to north, or checked to see whether I had any purchases in the car,infact on my last visit after getting the visa stamped we were just waved through without our passports being checked. It was only on the return trips we were asked whether we had purchased anything in the north, and if we were aware of the cigarette allowance.

ukturk

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 23:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 90 in Discussion

hi guys

alasian welcome back long time no hear, donna zorro is back lol

i spoke to cousins and friends today and asked whats going on with the border problems they said it all started when the problems the south where having with foot and mouth so they (north border police) started to take a stricter stance with all meat and dairy products and this is where the supposed choclate story comes in

but they also said even thou the border police have seemed to get tighter they go through the famagusta crossing and still buy bits and pieces of food stuff in the south and dont get no hassle

ive also found the news report on this situation printed below

GROWING complaints from businesses in the north have led to the implementation of tighter checkpoint controls by Turkish Cypriot police and customs officials – something that is causing irritation among Turkish Cypriots, who believe they should be entitled to shop wherever they like.

“This is preposterous and against my rights. I will continue to shop on the Greek side and if necessary will go to court to defend my rights,” Yeliz Shukru

Shukru lives in the north and often shops in the south because she finds certain products are cheaper and of better quality.

A British woman residing in the north but who regularly shops in the south, said “When I crossed this morning, I asked the chief customs man at the crossing what exactly I would be allowed to bring back to the north and he said ‘nothing’.

“When I complained that I was a vegetarian and that certain products I needed could only be brought in the south, he said he would turn a blind eye for a few things, just for me.”

Growing anger among shoppers has been further fanned by recent reports in a newspaper telling of how customs officials confiscated chocolates from a child and flowers from an old woman.

Authorities in the north have sought to justify the action, saying the confiscations of chocolate were because of temporary measures aimed at preventing the spread of foot-and-mouth disease.

But at the Ayios Dhometios crossings in Nicosia yesterday, Turkish Cypriot customs officials said they had received instructions “on Wednesday last week” to confiscate all supermarket shopping from people travelling from the south to the north, regardless of whether the products contained dairy or meat derivatives.

“You can buy a shirt or a jacket and bring them across, but no more food,” the official said.

When asked what had become of a previous law that allows people to bring €135 worth of shopping across the official said, “Yes, you can bring €135 worth of shopping, but no food”.

Shopkeepers in the north were naturally pleased with the new measures.

“The Greeks don’t even let a banana across from our side, so why should we let their products pour into here?” said north Nicosia shopkeeper Fetin Korman.

He added, however, that the ban on shopping was more to do with worries about falling tax revenues than the interests of shopkeepers.

“If people shop on the Greek side, then they [the government] will collect less tax, and therefore won’t be able to pay the civil servants,” he said.

A spokesman for the Turkish Cypriot leadership yesterday expressed surprise that customs officials were confiscating all edible goods at the crossing.

“The law is that you can bring €135 of shopping over, as long as you do not bring any meat or dairy products. The customs men are implementing the law incorrectly,” the spokesman said, adding that he would look into the matter with the view to correcting the error.

Former head of the Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Commerce, and a strong supporter of Green Line trade, Ali Erel said, however, that the authorities on both the Greek and Turkish Cypriot sides were intent on reducing already limited economic links between the two sides of the island.

“They [customs police] are overdoing it on b

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 23:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 90 in Discussion

Alasian

You can buy pork and bacon in the TRNC

ukturk

Message Posted:
30/11/2007 23:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 90 in Discussion

even thou im no way a strict muslim i have never and wont eat anything from the pig

i know what i would rather eat

lamb chops over prok chops

beef over ham

lamb roast over pork roast

turkey rashers over bacon

and not just for taste and for health reasons pigs have got lots of parasites and diseases like trichinosis, cysticercosis, and brucellosis and also the pig have got ascarid worms in their digestive system thats why there are so many warnings why you should well cook or cure pork meat throughly

regards ukturk

Alasian

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 03:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 90 in Discussion

Hello Donna, thank you for the kind welcome and your kind words. I'm very glad to see that you are still on the forum.

Hello lovingcyprus, thank you for your help.

Hi ukturk, it is a personal choice whether to eat a certain type of food or not. Some choose what to eat according to scientific health concerns or their tastes, while some choose to have their menu as per a book written thousands of years ago in a desert.

Yet, i am strongly against Arabic culture having imposed us for centuries what to eat and what not to eat depriving our people from a cheap source of protein that they had been eating for millenia.

By the way i am not a dietitian or a food engineer but it striked me that the top 30 countries in terms of life expectancy are all pork consumers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

truffles808

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 10:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 90 in Discussion

Alot of the supermarkets are now selling fresh pork at their meat counters.

I don't mean to offend, but we have got a whole suckling pig on order for Christmas day. Hog roast, yummy.

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 11:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 90 in Discussion

hi all

of course its down to personal choice if its down to religion, taste, or for health reasons, for me its was my parents who did not eat pork and never had it in the house but gave me the choice if i wanted to eat or not and when i became a adult i chose not to eat it

and i know alasian you are against any sort of muslim culture imposed on us turks but it is not much depriving of a cheap source of protein because we have chicken which is a even cheaper source of protein but more of a way they belive the pig to be a dirty animal

unless i mistaken the people of israel dont eat pig, and also when i visted singapore most of the majority dont consume pig either

anyway we are getting distracted of the point of the real subject here border problems!!!

truffles of course you are not offfending anyone i hope you enjoy your pig for xmas will you be doing it spit roast with a apple in its mouth lol

we are having turkey and pheasant (very tasty) for xmas dinner this year

my other half (inpatient)is already in the spirit putting up the tree we are offically the first people in marmaris to have the tree up lol

anyway take care all

regards

ukturk

truffles808

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 11:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 90 in Discussion

Ukturk - of course there will be an apple in his mouth, it wouldn't look the same otherwise! Its the other end I feel sorry for him - that spit has to go somewhere.......

Regards

Jo

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 90 in Discussion

This is a very annoying situation which seems to stem from the embargoes. People do have a right to shop where they want, including the South, but at the same time there looks to be a real danger that the TRNC economy could be badly impacted. It's nice to shop in the South but it could be detrimental if the TRNC infrastructure starts to decay as a consequence. I bet the GC's love this. Their coffers are getting boosted and at the same time the TRNC is weakened.

Obviously, the South offers more choice and it seems better quality in some areas, but why is the North more expensive for staple items? Is this because of higher taxes? Unrealistic charging?

If you look at furniture and electrical goods there seems to be quite a good choice on offer in the North? Are the prices of these comparable with the South?

I was also surprised to see some French electrical brands in the Northern shops? How is the TRNC able to import these brands and why can't it do so on a wider scale? or do they have to pay a premium, in other words are held to ransom?

dy1259

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 12:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 90 in Discussion

My parents bought all their furniture from a shop in Lefkosa. The furniture is good quality, reasonably priced and it included delivery (to Girne!!). The owners were brilliant and helpful and each time they bought something from them they gave them a gift of a small item of furniture.

The problem I have with the North/South shopping thing is that people are not allowed to take much (if anything?) bought from the North into the South-hardly seems fair or economically viable for the TRNC.

I'm inclined to agree with Alasian on the religious, pork eating/non-eating (sorry Erkan, you know I think you're brilliant!!!). The only thing that would stop me eating pork is if I was a vegetarian. Talking of lamb/beef/chicken-there are parasites in Cows and Sheep (parasitic worms/liver fluke, foot and mouth, CJD), salmonella in Chicken and bird-flu now???

Enjoy your xmas dinner everyone. LOL.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 12:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 90 in Discussion

The market model of 'choice' (which has it's roots in Darwins survival of the fittest) needs an even playing ground to work most effectively. The idea is that weak brands wither away and eventually die as the the consumer decides which are the best brands. The idea also is that the host for the brand, which is the shopkeeper, can then discard the weak brands and then start selling the best brands, in order to survive and prosper.

Unfortuantely, the TRNC can't play this game. The host which is the shopkeeper can't play effectively. He/she can't stock the best brands because they are not available to him/her. Without outside intervention i.e the government stepping in at the border the shopkeepers face a very uncertain future.

dy1259

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 12:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 90 in Discussion

Good point, ILC.

There are people out there who believe Greek Cypriot propaganda and say there is a level playing field between the North and South ie that there are no embargoes on TRNC!!!

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 90 in Discussion

Sounds like they chose to be ignorant Donna

My guess would be that TRNC shopkeepers can't compete on certain brands so they are forced to increase the price of those goods they can sell. This way they can hit their margins. The trouble is then, they are then perceived as expensive, which then forces people to want to go to the South. It becomes self perpetuating.

Of course, this will not be true in all instances.

But of course, this is the whole point of embargoes. Embargoes are designed to weaken the system and encourage capitulation. The big problem here is that the south of Cyprus is both cheap to get to and easily accessible.

Here in the UK we can go to France and get cheaper goods but it is not cheap or easy for us to get there.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 13:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 90 in Discussion

sorry - should have said choose to be ignorant

dy1259

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 13:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 90 in Discussion

The lastest measures on goods from the South. This is more sensible and helpful to the TRNC (hopefully!!) Let's hope its implementation is effective and uniform:

Prime Minister Ferdi Sabit Soyer has announced that goods to be purchased from South Cyprus, worth of which exceed the 135-euros, would be taxed at a rate of 30%.

In an address to the nation, the Prime Minister reminded that a ban was still in force on meat and dairy products produced in South Cyprus but he added that there was no ban on those being produced in other foreign countries.

The Premier said that the protection of the economy is necessary in order to bring about a solution to the Cyprus problem on the basis of political equality of the two sides; which he said, is an objective of the Turkish Cypriot people.

He stressed that the implementation of the measures taken at border crossings between the two sides was necessary to prevent the exploitation of the Green Line Regulation.

Rejecting criticisms being voiced by some political parties against the measures taken, Mr Soyer said people are allowed to buy goods worth of which do not exceed 135 euros, as required by the Green Line Regulation.

But, he said goods, worth of which do exceed this limit, will be taxed at a rate of 30%.

On measures taken against foot-and-mouth disease, which was seen in South Cyprus, the Prime Minister said a ban was still in force on meat and dairy products produced in the South, but added that there was no ban on those being produced in other foreign countries.

http://www.brtk.cc/index.php/lang/en/cat/2/news/24738

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 13:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 90 in Discussion

Thanks for sharing this Donna, For me, I think Soyer is spot on about 'protection of the economy in order to bring about a soloution on the basis of political equality'. We all have our part to play in this.

dy1259

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 90 in Discussion

Agree with you, ILC.

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 15:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 90 in Discussion

hi guys

thanks donna i think you are brill aswell and you have every right to make your own decision and view im just stating why i dont eat pork, im not goin to go on a crusade to tell everyone not to eat pork because of religion or health reasons thats down to your personal choice but can i say other than chicken beef and lamb can be eaten rare i.e steak-blue (best tasting they say not for me thou) and lamb çiğ kofte but you cant eat rare pork well they dont advise you to!!! lol

back on to the subject at hand, i fully agree with the shopkeepers how they feel firstly they are losing buisness and to top it off they are losing it to the greek cypriot shopkeepers, and how can north cyprus thrive thru their economy if no one is buying in the north and i agree with the prime minister if you insist in buying in the south then you should be taxed accordingly

my personal view is i will never buy anything from the south apart from food stuff that i want to treat myself that i can get in the north or in turkey but things like furniture - electrical and any other products i defo buy in the north and i dont mind paying that little bit extra for peace of mind that im contibuting a bit to our countries economy if we as people who reside or visit either it be cypriot or expat dont contribute and help the country we all love, how can we expect north cyprus to flourish in to a country that can stand on its own two feet

that why we have to abolish these embargos asap so it will keep the shopkeepers in work, keep us as a population happy with consumer rights and finally helping the countries economy

regards to all

ukturk (erkan)

p.s you dont see greeks or expats coming over from the south buying meat (can be cheaper than the south cos of euro) or any other products

we cant even export our own produce to other countries without the greeks permission and stamp of approvel (explained in my other post what do these embargos mean to n cyprus) how imorale is that and a blatant human rights violation i dont mind for north cyprus not to get reconized just let us trade and live as how we want to without any interferance

long live KKTC and all its people who live and love the country

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 16:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 90 in Discussion

well said Erkan

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 16:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 72 of 90 in Discussion

thank you mark and i think you are brill aswell mate (so you dont feel left out matey!!!) lol

take care

dodger

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 20:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 73 of 90 in Discussion

seems that i stirred up a bit of a hornets nest re-opening this post,so are we all in agreement that things are tightening up on the crossings,or does it depend on which guard is on duty.

dodger

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 20:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 74 of 90 in Discussion

"protesters hand out chocolate bars at border crossing"

Alasian

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 22:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 75 of 90 in Discussion

Fantastic posts ilovecyprus. As long as there is not a level playing ground with the GCs, uncontrolled imports from South would only help bankrupting the already weak TC businesses but the government should yet allow a limited

but consistent amount of purchases from South.

Very well said Donna. Other edible animals also contain parasites,viruses,etc. Arabic scholars brain wash people with these type of excuses to keep the control on the food the people eat and keep them obedient to their dogmas.

Hello ukturk, as far as i know there is no scientific evidence showing that "correctly processed" or cured pork is more dangerous than beef,lamb or chicken. The most developed and healthy countries of the world are all heavy pork consumers.

If there was really a health issue, they would for sure make big campaigns to stop eating pork. In modern world there are thousands of varieties of food made from pork. The least developed and least healthy countries of the world are not eating pork, not because of health concerns but because it was forbidden by arabs 1500 years ago.

Although pork may be more dangerous if not cooked/cured well, the things you are mentioning about pork are mostly used for Arabic propaganda to Arabise our people. Somehow the Arabic scholars are all "health experts" and they use these tricks to continue their control over our people.

We should immediately open pig farms and continue pork production where our ancestors have left when they got islamized some centuries ago.

I can think of a way to track the food that we have lost due to Arabic conquest of our ancestors. Most of the food the Western Turks eat are known in the world as the Greek food(although many have turkish names) and most of the food the Eastern Turks eat are known as the Armenian food(although many have turkish names).

Greeks are saying Dolma,Lokum,Yogurt,Feta,Mediterranean Salad,Turkish Coffee,Cacik(Tzatziki they say).....are all greek products they say(although dolma,lokum,yogurt,cacik are all turkish words)

Armeanians are saying Pastirma, Sucuk, Lahmacun, Manti... are their products(although all are turkish words).

So, in that case, if our cuisine is so identical and they can register turkish language foods in their name we can say that the pork products that Greek Cypriots are producing are our lost pork products. Lountza, loukanika,hiromeri,etc. are all our pork products although some have greek names.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 22:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 76 of 90 in Discussion

Hi dodger, I don't know if they are tightening up as I have not been through the crossing recently. My own personal experience is that the Famagusta crossing is far smoother and easier than Lefkosia.

I also suspect ,that the Famagusta crossing is easier for the Brits, because, what goes on their is seen through the gaze of the british soveriegn base.

Thanks for your feedback on my posts Alasian. I have bought one of the books on your recommendation. It is the one about Turkey and International law. I am really looking forward to reading it. I should receive it from amazon on Tuesday. I am travelling from London to Leeds that afternoon so will now have some good reading on the train.

Personally, I don't eat pork and have not done so for 25 years, maybe more. It is interesting though that pigs organs are often transplated in to humans, suggesting pigs closely match humans in many respects. Saying that I did hear that a pigs orgasm lasts for 30 minutes. I can't match that but if that's true next time I want to come back as a pig What do you reckon Erkan?

I am not sure how much pig eating contributes to the prosperity and longevity of a nation. I have never thought about that before. Maybe it does, although I am certain there are also other factors involved.

Alasian

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 23:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 77 of 90 in Discussion

Hello ilovecyprus, i hope you find the the book useful. Although it covers the part of the problem until early 90s, i hope you find it a good read for that part of the problem and i dont lose face

Also, I am not a pork fanatic that supports that eating pork contributes to longevity

But i cannot stand religious dogma emposing people what to do and what not to do.

Bradus

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 23:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 78 of 90 in Discussion

Just to let you boys know that you have put me off my Saturday night favourite take away, "sweet and sour pork"

Uturk I now feel that I no longer owe you those 6 Jack Daniels.

Ilovecyprus don't even try.....30 minutes!!!!!! You would need sick leave from work for at least a week.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
01/12/2007 23:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 79 of 90 in Discussion

Hi Alasian, yeah the pressure is on. I am relyong on your recommendation for a good read

Hi Bradus, Hope you enjoyed your sweet and sour pork. Don't worry, I won't attempt 30 minutes. Couldn't even if I wanted to. I think I would be bypassing hospital and would be six feet under

dodger

Message Posted:
02/12/2007 21:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 80 of 90 in Discussion

just watched a very moving and harrowing video regarding the massacre of 126 innocent turkish cypriots.One of which was a baby of 16 days old.The link to this is on post no 50,and set up by alasian.Please dont think i am preaching here,but i advise anyone on this forum who has not seen the video,to set aside some time and view it.

Thanks to alasian for opening my eyes even further regarding the conflict, and thank you for your well written and informative posts.The video was actually produced by a greek cypriot,but to this day the attrocities are still denied,and classed as turkish propaganda by papadopullas.Are other countries, britain included, aware or what happened on the 15th of august 1974 if so why hasnt anything been done about the one sided way that the troubles seem to be reported.

My two daughters have spent the last two summers working in the south of the island and tell me of the propaganda against the turk cyps,some of which i find absoluteley unbelievable,but what is worrying is that some of the mud that gets slung around sticks and people in the south believe it.Including my daughters,until they saw the looking for selden video.

Thanks again for taking time out alsasian,

Paul.

Alasian

Message Posted:
03/12/2007 21:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 81 of 90 in Discussion

You're welcome hulk. Thank you for watching the documentary. I'm sorry to hear that your daughters got brainwashed by the GCs. Maybe you can share with us the GC propaganda that your daughters experienced so we can convey the truth about the situation.

The documentary is really touching. What is also touching is that, the critminals responsible for the massacre of men,women and children of the Murataga,Atlilar and Sandallar villages, are free in South Cyprus and are boasting! in their village cafe about how they massacred the innocent Turkish Cypriots.

Unfortunately the Greek superiority idea(as also mentioned in the documentary by the GC) has been poisoning the GC mentality for centuries and many see non-greek people as inferior thus not worth living.

No wonder, the leader of the greek cypriots which the world classifies as the "Cyprus President" has told that not a single Turkish Cypriot was killed between 1963 and 1974(real number close to 2000) He can say that because he does not classify the killed people as humans.

Papadopullos personally lead many massacres against the TCs and he is a cold blooded murderer likewise the Nazi generals. According to Greek Cypriots, during the Turkish Cypriot genocide at least on one occasion he personally ordered the execution of dozens of Turkish Cypriot civilians.

The difference with Nazi generals is that the Nazi generals got hanged,imprisoned and their regime collapsed while the Nazi regime in South Cyprus got promoted with EU membership and its generals got promoted with the title President of Cyprus.

The Greek Cypriots even had a plan like the Nazi Final Solution to the jews. Their plan was called the "Akritas Plan" and to this date they are following the policies as per the plan under the leadership of Papadopullos who according to many was the leader of the EOKA-B terrorists against Turkish Cypriots.

Here is a link to the Akritas Plan which devastaded the lives of innocent Turkish Cypriots from christmas eve 1963 until the peace operation in 20th july 1974 and continued to make the lives of the TCs difficult after the peace operation through the continued use of the Akritas Plan tactic "All actions will be clothed in legal form." to embargoe North Cyprus.

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:nLy2yM1fN4MJ:www.cyprus-conflict.net/akritas_plan.htm+akritas+plan&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

Alasian

Message Posted:
03/12/2007 21:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 82 of 90 in Discussion

I highly suspect if GCs mentioned this plan or the massacres between 1963 and peace operation(1974) to your daughters during the brainwash sessions.

meddmale

Message Posted:
04/12/2007 17:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 83 of 90 in Discussion

Lets just face facts, the Greeks hate us, they always have and probably always well

We should feel sorry for them as they are brain washed at birth by family and church, if they step across the line and embrace anything Turkish are out cast and pillared by others in their community

My son in law was born in Cyprus, he has lived all his life in Cyprus, his mother and all her family is Cypriot but his father is main land Turkish, the Greeks are giving him the run around just because of his father over a Cyprus passport, although he has been offered the chance of one for a large bribe

The rest of the world doesn’t know the half of how the “Cypriots” treat the “ Turkish Cypriots” and they don’t care

dodger

Message Posted:
04/12/2007 23:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 84 of 90 in Discussion

until recently, my daughters who have been brainwashed by the greeks,believed that crossing the border into the north was not allowed and illegal, and anyone who attempted this could be shot.The north of the island contained patrolling tanks and was full of murdering turkish ******** in fact when we told them that we were looking at buying property there the youngest started crying,thinking that they would lose their mother and father.next year we are going to show them that they have just been listening to complete rubbish and take them both for a holiday to (in our opinion) one of the most beautiful places i have ever had the good fortune to visit,

Regards,

Paul.

suntanman

Message Posted:
05/12/2007 01:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 85 of 90 in Discussion

Any on who goes on a 'package' holiday to the greek side of Cyprus is also brainwashed by tour operators and holiday reps, they are told that the north is a restricted area and you cannot go across the border un accomponied and that the area is controlled by Turkish army. All tourist maps have the north blanked out with the wording 'area inaccessable due to turkish military occupation'

We have spoken to many British tourists who were amazed that we had driven over the border to tour the north. We would have loved to have told them that we were in the process of buying a property over there, but after over hearing comments by local greeks, felt it was unwise.

I overheard a conversation on Fig Tree Bay beach between a local greek man and a German tourist which was going on really friendly untill the German said he had been to kyrenia, an loved the north of the island, the local walked away saying **** the Turks, they live on bread and orange juice. I didn't realise there was so much hatred.

ukturk

Message Posted:
05/12/2007 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 86 of 90 in Discussion

hi guys

you dont know about hatred,

a few friends that i knew from back in london that are greek cypriots used to tell me stories that years ago in the airports an most local places they used to have posters on the walls saying 'A good turk is a dead Turk' and 'A enemy of our enmies is our friends' and warning chilren to watch out for turks because all they do is kill innocent people and sell drugs, now if this not hatred i dont know what is!!!!!

ok a lot of people died and lost their homes both turks and greeks not just in the 70's but as early as the 50's but the thing is the turks remember their lost ones and dead not in vain, where the greeks still carry a chip on their shoulder i dont know why because they were the instegators, and also they should be gratefull to the turks because they did not just liberate the turkish cypriots they also help free the greek cypriots from death due to the civil outbreak between the eoka terrorists and the vicious leader samson who was killing turkish cypriots and greek cypriots for fun!!!! and the thing is that get up my nose most if not all the politicans in the greek cypriot government were saved by the turkish army and this is the thanks we get and you will never hear a greek cypriot say any of these facts in public apart from the people who blame the greek mainlanders for the mess

personally my view coming from a turkish cypriot im sad and upset that my family, friends, and people i know have all lost friends and loved ones and their land,houses and livelyhoods but its time to move on and think of the future of north cyprus so we can live in peace and the south can carry on an live in peace as two seperate independant countries so the deaths and lost of both sides wont be in vain

regards to all

ukturk

ttoli

Message Posted:
05/12/2007 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 87 of 90 in Discussion

Lasy year an Aunt of mine was staying at the Annabelle in Paphos and asked about public transport to visit me in the North, the downright lies that she was told and from then on she received very different treatment from the Hotels staff,i drove down and upon parking in the Hotel car park was told in no uncertain terms that my car was not safe there.End result??? My English family will no longer go to the south.

Gooner

Message Posted:
05/12/2007 14:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 88 of 90 in Discussion

Hello

Saturday went very well, there were 5customs guys but no checks!

Went across agaın on monday, once agaın all went well, no checks or anythıng.

A frıend went on Tuesday and had to produce receıpts for every ıtem, guess ıts down to how they are on the day. Oh and the fresh cream cakes...mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

dodger

Message Posted:
05/12/2007 20:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 89 of 90 in Discussion

According to the cyprus mail the north have delared a price war on the south to try and stop people crossing the border to shop.what is worrying is the fact that the economic groth rate this year in the north is running at 0%

dy1259

Message Posted:
09/12/2007 03:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 90 of 90 in Discussion

Bump it up.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.