North Cyprus Tourist Board - The American Academy Nicosia
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > The American Academy Nicosia

The American Academy Nicosia

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about North Nicosia Cyprus

Les&Tasha

Message Posted:
31/05/2009 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

As promised here are our impressions of the private schools we visited. We are posting these threads for reference by other parents who are thinking of educating their children in Cyprus:-

The American Academy.

We met the principal and his deputy, Susie. Both are highly skilled professional people. The school is well established and has a relaxed but academic atmosphere. The school has a good mix of GC, TC, and expatriates from several countries. Susie mentioned that discrimination on any basis is strongly discouraged. The school is Christian but not overly so. My wife (Tasha) was very impressed by this school. It is her number 1 choice. The fees are reasonable (Euro 4000 – 6000 pa. The downside is the bus leaves Ledra Palace crossing at 7.25am so we we would have to live near Lefkosa. Maybe Gonyeli, Yenikent or Hamitkoy.

Fred8

Message Posted:
31/05/2009 13:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Is this school connected in any way to teh Ameican Academy in Larnac?

fire starter

Message Posted:
31/05/2009 14:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

i know a developer who has turkish title property in gonyeli, if you are interested.

there is also a few properties for sale in my village pinarbasi which is not far from gonyeli, again all turkish title, if you are interested email me at sharpeisara@hotmail.com

p.s i'm not a developer , just live that side of the mountian.

i may also know someone who would rent you a large apartment at a local price until you find what you are looking for.

Les&Tasha

Message Posted:
31/05/2009 14:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Re Msg 2

Yes. Originally the boys school was in Larneca and the girls in Nicosia. As far as I am aware they are seperate entities now but share a common heritage. Perhaps someone more knowledgable could comment?

cypwine

Message Posted:
31/05/2009 16:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

the AA school in larnaca is a totally independent school to the AA in Nicosia & limmasol it has been up & running for a hundred & one years.

The Grammer school in Nicosia also has a good reputation.

Fred8

Message Posted:
31/05/2009 21:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

For several years I went to the AA in Laranaca in the 70's and i t is a good school but it was a mixed school than.

Les&Tasha

Message Posted:
01/06/2009 00:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Re Msg 3 - We have sent you an email. Thanks for the advice. We will also consider the near east college. Another member (Pixie) had a high opinion of this school.

Pixie

Message Posted:
01/06/2009 08:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Les and Tasha,

I hope you have taken into account that the near east college is in Turkish. Im not sure how many hours of english they do per week, but I was under the impression that you were looking for an international school....

Les&Tasha

Message Posted:
02/06/2009 09:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Thanks for the info Pixie. We had misunderstood.

Fire Starter. We would appreciate the information offered in msg2. Inland property is not so well covered on the net. Emlak Dunyasi is all we can find.

Thanks everyone.

Pixie

Message Posted:
02/06/2009 10:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Les and Tasha,

If you are thinking of buying in Nicosia I can reccomend Hamitkoy, Anittepe or kucukkaymakli. They are all turkish titles.

this is the website of remax north cyprus : Im not sure if they have an english version but I did speak to some realtors who spoke good english http://www.sizievlendiriyor.com/

Telefon: 815 58 85 , 815 58 86 I think thats the kyrenia number but they should be able to give you the nicosia number from there.

E-mail : info@sizievlendiriyor.com

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to drive around these areas and see where you might like to live. I have seen great and horrible homes for around the same price, also some areas are better than others.

Also there are many emlakcis advertising in the kibris newspaper. You can call their numbers and many of them have a large portfolio in Nicosia.

fire starter

Message Posted:
02/06/2009 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

hi les and tasha

i have emailed you.

deger

Message Posted:
21/08/2010 14:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Despite this being an old post I would just like to correct a few mistakes about NEC, having studying there I can say that it is an international school with the majority of lessons being in English, they also provide special courses for English speakers instead of them doing the actual Turkish lessons. Upon starting year 9 you have a choice of choosing to do G.C.E which provides all English lessons excluding Turkish literature and Turkish history. I was very satisfied with the school and they also now provide A levels and are beginning to follow the English curriculum

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.