North Cyprus Tourist Board - advice on maintenance fees
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > advice on maintenance fees

advice on maintenance fees

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Management Tips

» See all North Cyprus Property Management related threads

Toon Army

Message Posted:
29/02/2008 18:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 32 in Discussion

I wondered if anyone could give me advice on maintenance fees.

I have heard that there is a TRNC apartment maintenance law which states that every owner should pay the same for maintenance no matter what size their apt is i.e. 3 bed or 2 bed etc.

As an owner on Turtle Bay Village we pay different amounts depending on what size our apt is.But as owners, we have all bought an equal £10 share in a company called Resco which sorts out our maintenance.

Some owners feel that the 3 bed apts will have more people using the site than the 2 bed apts so therefore pay more.But as a 3 bed apt owner, we feel that there can be no way anyone could ever work out who uses the site the most and as the maintenance looks after the upkeep of the whole site as in pools, gardening etc ,the same fee for all would be fair for all.

Would really like to hear all your views on this topic and if anybody already pays maintenace fees,what sort of payment stucture do you have in place.

Many thanks

the butler

Message Posted:
29/02/2008 18:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 32 in Discussion

Hi Toon Army,

On our site there are detached Villas, semi villas, bungalows and apartments. We all pay different amounts depending on size of property for our maintenance. One could argue that the detached villas are only visited twice a year and the apartments six times a year and so should be all charged the same but as the developer has set these prices, we have to pay them.

Avril

Pipie

Message Posted:
29/02/2008 19:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 32 in Discussion

We are on an apertment complex and we all pay the same amount , which i think is fair , we all own an equal share .

jmg171

Message Posted:
29/02/2008 19:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 32 in Discussion

I agree with toon,

Why should there been different amounts for maintenance depending on the size of your property!!

We all have an equal share of the site !!! so equal the amount for the up keep.

The site we have bought on The Management company charges the same fee for everyone ( as it should be ).

We also bought on another site where a 1 bedroom is £30, 2 bed is £40, and a 3 bed £50.

keith

Message Posted:
29/02/2008 20:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 32 in Discussion

Agree with one price for all does not matter what size you have 1 bed 2 bed or 3bed you could have someone living on the site in a 1 bed and some one who has a 2 or 3 bed but only go acouple of times a year you are paying for the maintance of the grounds and pools not for your apartment

Keith

tatlisu

Message Posted:
29/02/2008 21:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 32 in Discussion

Hi

Agree there should be 1 price as keith has said, Is maintenance for the grounds and not the properties.

It would be impossible to try and work any other way I think. Gail

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
29/02/2008 22:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 32 in Discussion

Hi Toon

I do agree with you it all being one fee across the board but I was talking to my hubby and he said he didnt agree so much. He said look at how the council tax is banded over here - is dependent on the property price. They get exactly the same as people paying less. I do feel though we should all be paying the same - looks like our household is split on this one! Perhaps I shouldnt have told him my views!!!! Oooppppps

millzer

Message Posted:
29/02/2008 22:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 32 in Discussion

Yes Nicky but tell your hubby that two wrongs don't make a right do they! Council tax is no fairer in the UK, which was why the tories tried to bring in the poll tax so that individuals paid their own way. Trouble was they got the figures all wrong and bottled it when the poll tax riots started.

The principal remains the same though, why should a retired couple (we are not retired btw!) who've worked hard all their lives, built a nice home with kids flown the nest, have to pay an extortionate amount in council tax for their property when you've got DSS Lil with her six kids paying little or nothing.

Council tax pays for the services that the local authority provides, so who uses these services more!!!! Strikes me that most older retired couples in the UK are paying through the nose for a VERY expensive rubbish collection service, so no, I do not think that the two can be compared in any way, and using the UK council tax example is certainly not a good comparison because it, in itself, is a fundamentally flawed and unfair system IMHO.

keith

Message Posted:
29/02/2008 22:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 32 in Discussion

Hi Boredhousewife just say to him if you hired a gardner to cut you grass and your next doors and you both had the same Area but your house has 3 beds and theres 2 would he be happy to pay more

keith

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 00:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 32 in Discussion

Hey listen I agree entirely with all paying the same but I am not getting into any debate with my hubby. After all he is entitled to his opinion. He knows who's right in the end!!!! I just merely wanted to say that I agree one way and he agrees the other. No problem in that but everyone is going to think differently.

I did bring this subject up with management company today and they agreed too it would be fairer for all to pay the same - lets wait and see what happens when some of our Committee members meet with management in the next couple of weeks.

millzer

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 00:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 32 in Discussion

Yes I know Nicky, got on my high horse a bit there lol but still respect peoples opinions even if they are wrong LOL

Bradus

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 02:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 32 in Discussion

Where possible it is best if all the residents can form a commitee and employ their own company to manage the complex. You have much more control over the finances being paid and you know that the money is being spent wisely. Investment and improvement of the complex rather than profit can then be the aim. Such complexes tend to have the best landscaping etc because it is the owners that are making the decisions as to where the maintenance fees are directed. Many purchasers have agreed in their contracts that the builder would take full responsibility until landscaping is completed and established and all services up and running, perhaps for the first 2-3 years. Then the residents committee take over. Desirable to aim for this sort of set up where possible because you have a voice as to where your money is being spent. Such an idea might not be appropriate on the very large complexes though.

elko2

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 09:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 32 in Discussion

According to the relevant law which is Law No. 63/1987, paragraph 8(1) each household has to contribute to the general expenses in accordance with the share of the land they have unless agreed otherwise.

For those who can read (and understand) Turkish you can find the text at http://www.mahkemeler.net/mahkeme-web-t/birlestirilmis/63-1987.doc

ismet

jemjem

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 11:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 32 in Discussion

in this case i agree we should pay the same but i have a 3 bed app so you would expect this . as this is a complex with shared amenities it seems a fair way of doing this bobnjulie

simbas

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 14:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 32 in Discussion

Hi , as our site is not finished we are obviously not paying any maintenance yet , our site comprises of mainly 4 bed properties all with pools , our sevice and maintenance is as follows

3 star silver service £55 per month

4 star gold service £62 per month

5 star platinum service per month

to give you an example the platinum service consists of

24 hr on site security and caretaker

garden / landscape maintenance

pool maintenance

communal & external maintenace , including the painting of the villa every 2 yrs

waste collection

personal shopper 3 times a week

membership to the health and fitness leisure

domestic cleaning and laundry 4 days a week

council tax to be paid

24hr medicare with 8 free consultations and 15% off further consultations and treatments

i am not very computer literate ,so i could not put it on , but if any of you want a copy of the whole thing i can fax it to you

hope it helps ,its just for comparisons , take care , simbas

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 14:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 32 in Discussion

Millzer - dont worry! Probably me being in a bad mood!! LOL!!!! Kids driving me mad, owners forum driving me nuts, maintenance fees rising, stamp duty problem, registering contract problem, husband not necessarily seeing my point of view of maintenance fees (he's easily swayed though!) - get the gist of it!!!!

We do have a Committee and two of them are meeting up in 10 days time to see the relevant people at the management company. Full accounts will be looked at end of March and new payment of maintenance fees due 1 April so hopefully things will be a bit clearer as to how much money is being spent and how much is left over or not left over and whether the rise in maintenance is justified.

rtddci

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 15:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 32 in Discussion

My apartment complex (10 apartments plus pool) seems to have one charge for those who visit and a TC who reside all the time. Guess who pays and who doesn't?

elko2

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 16:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 32 in Discussion

Form a Management and then sue those who do not pay. Quite easy if you know what you are doing and if the Mangement is registered properly.

As far as I know I am the only "legal" Apartment Manager in Famagusta. Electricity for the stairs and the lift and the Bank Account is in the name of the "Apartment Management".

ismet

rtddci

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 32 in Discussion

Ismet,

Thanks for that information. How do you register the management?

Martin

elko2

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 19:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 32 in Discussion

Martin,

1. Get yourself a hard covered book to write down the minutes of any meetings you hold and specially the "Decisions" taken at those meetings.

2. Number the pages starting from no.1

3. On the firs page write down Decision or Resolution No.1 and state that a Mangement is set up for the Apartment or the complex or whatever and any monthly installments to be paid etc and get it signed by everybody against names and surnames and the number of the flat, villa or whatever. Write down the abset owners and stgate the reason why they are absent i.e. not in the country, or called but did not attend etc. The resolution must include the name of the Manager appointed.

4. The Manager should make an application to the District Land Office for the Minutes or the Resolution Book of the Mangement to be stamped for so many pages. You do not have to stamp all the pages, beaue it cost 5 YTL per page last year, probably 7-8 YTL per page this year. In my view this application should be in Turkish.

5. Take the application, the Resolution book and a copy of the first page to the appropriate District Land Office and ask them to stamp your book. Good luck. If they don't understand what you are talking about tell them to look up law no. 63/1987 "Kat Mülkiyet Yasası". If all fails call me on 0533 862 9150

Cheers.

ismet

rtddci

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 19:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 32 in Discussion

Ismet

That's is really useful, thank you.

Martin

Pipie

Message Posted:
02/03/2008 10:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 32 in Discussion

Re message 15 is £ 62 the amount you pay for 5 star platanum service ?

simbas

Message Posted:
02/03/2008 10:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 32 in Discussion

Hi pipie , sorry i forgot to add the platinum amount , it is £82 which is not bad for what you get , i obviously have'nt stated all but it is quite comprehensive

have a great day , simbas

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
02/03/2008 11:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 32 in Discussion

Hi Simbas

In your Platinum service where you mention about domestic cleaning 4 days a week - does that mean someone comes in 4 days a week and cleans/does laundry (or am I being dim?). And personal shopper 3 times a week - does this mean you can give someone a shopping list and they go and get it for you?

Do they clean and do laundry if you have guests staying?

Thanks Nicky

simbas

Message Posted:
02/03/2008 12:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 32 in Discussion

Hi Nicky , yes they do domestic cleaning and laundry up to 4 times a week and they do your shopping for you up to 3 times a week , and when you have guests as well . and i know this is a bit extreme , and we would never actually do this , but if you run out of anything like a loaf of bread the caretaker will go and get it for you .

have a good day , pat

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
02/03/2008 14:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 32 in Discussion

Sorry Simbas to ask you this again! But they clean your apartment up to 4 times a week and not charge you anything else apart from the one fee of £82 per month That seems really good.

simbas

Message Posted:
02/03/2008 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 32 in Discussion

Hi nicky , that is absolutely right , we could'nt believe it ourselves , but we have it in black and white

hope you have had a really nice day , pat

Bradus

Message Posted:
02/03/2008 19:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 32 in Discussion

Bored house wife, we need to move there straight away! No more washing and ironing (we could be in Gym or pool) no more supermarket shopping (just shopping for shoes and clothes) no more gardening (sunbathing in the garden only) You might just need the optional extra of child care and its sorted.

Wow, thats what I'd call retiring!

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
02/03/2008 20:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 32 in Discussion

Bradus - too right!!!! Sounds very good to me!!! Yes childcare is a must!!!

Pipie

Message Posted:
04/03/2008 13:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 32 in Discussion

Hi Simbas this package sounds really good where is the complex ? what is the name of the management company ? would love to show this package to my complex manager when they ask to put our fees up ?

simbas

Message Posted:
04/03/2008 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 32 in Discussion

hi pipie , othello villa's are in the iskele area of the bogaz , there is no management company , the builders , troy lake will be employing people themselves , we do at the moment have a pool man and a cleaner that will do your laundry , but i tend to do it myself , we have'nt paid anything for the past 4 yrs for these services and will not until the site is completed . i think we have been very lucky in our choice of builders ,

regards simbas

Pipie

Message Posted:
04/03/2008 14:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 32 in Discussion

Hi simbas i agree you sound like you have been very lucky , this is Soooooooooo nice to hear . Good luck for the future .

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.