North Cyprus Tourist Board - Help needed from the green fingered brigade
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Help needed from the green fingered brigade

Help needed from the green fingered brigade

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Geoff1131MK11

Message Posted:
31/05/2009 14:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Hi all, i am no gardener, but this year decided to plant some herbs and tomatoes in pots on my patio. All seemed to be going well, the tomatoes were coming along nicely, the salad leaves were starting to grow, and the peppers and basil were sprouting. But over the last couple of weeks all the leaves started to go brown and the plants did not look too healthy, so i watered them with bottled water for about four days and they look a lot better. My question to all you lucky enough to get things to grow is, does the water matter?

The water we get on our complex is from a well and is tankered in, i know it is very hard and the ph is high. Will this affect the plants? and if i reduce the ph with dry acid to get a near neutral ph, will this affect the plants? I will be very gratefull for any advice. What i dont need is neg nicks advise which will probably be

' Stop being a tight wad, throw the plants away, and go to Supreme and buy your stuff '

fire starter

Message Posted:
31/05/2009 15:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

geoff,

it has been very hot in the last few days, try moving the plants to an area which has some shade for part of the day.

as for water i'm not sure, we bleach out our kennels and the water drains into a flower bed.

the lavender plants are doing super on it! never seen lavender so big!!

mamachina

Message Posted:
31/05/2009 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

I agree - make sure they are in the shade some of the day - even a newspaper over might help. We use our well water - not the best - and the stuff I have in pots seems to be doing ok- remember anything in a pot needs more water than the same stuff in the ground! (or so my husband says! -he's the green fingered one)

We planted lettuce, spring onions and tomatos in a spot between some little trees and they are going great guns - in fact the lettuce ran away before I could use it! Good luck - as you so rightly seem to think something one grows always seems to taste better!!

janjin

Message Posted:
31/05/2009 16:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Geoff,

The plants may have used up the nutrients in the compost?

Try using some feed, don't be tempted to over do it as this can have the reverse effect.

Seaweed feed is a good one.

I don't think the water would have that effect on the plants. We have hard water in Yorkshire.

I wouldn't adjust the ph of the water as you suggested.

Make sure the water can drain from the containers.

Lastly do a check for any bugs.

Good luck.

Geoff1131MK11

Message Posted:
31/05/2009 16:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks for the replies, i dont think its the sun because the plants are in shade for a good part of the day. I thought it was the water as when i used the bottled water for a few days they seemed to perk up, but maybe it was a coincidence.

As i said i must be the worlds worst gardener but i've got all this time on my hands, i thought i would give it a go.

janjin, i have friends coming out next week and i have asked them to bring some baby bio plant food so i will try them with that, its new compost in the tubs so that should be ok, and i have just done a bug search and not found anything.

Again thanks for the help, Geoff.

Codger

Message Posted:
31/05/2009 17:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Geoff

If the plants are in plastic pots and the soil is mainly peat then the soil could be getting to warm for the tender roots which will not develop. We have just transplanted from pots into the soil and the growth and well being of the plants has come on a treat. The pots will pick up the heat from the air and from the patio they are sitting on, they do not have to be in direct sun to suffer as they may be picking up reflected heat.

Another one to mull over

Codger

Geoff1131MK11

Message Posted:
31/05/2009 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Codger, you could be spot on!!!!!!!!! i've just gone out and checked, and although the plants are now in the shade the pots are warmer than you would have tought, so when they are in the sun they will be far hotter.

I will have to see if i can buy some clay pots tomorrow.

I love this forum, when its used properly it has to be the font of all knowledge.

janjin

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 23:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Geoff

If you don't get your pots then maybe you could put some stones (etc) around the pots so the sun isn't directly warming the pots? This suggestion is prob too late - sorry for late posting.

Also try some pebbles / chippings on top of the compost to retain moisture.

How are your little green friends getting on?

jj

Geoff1131MK11

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 07:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Hi j&j, everything is fine on the patio this morning. I got some clay pots and replanted all the plants, moved them more into shade and keep them well watered. The tomatoes are in full flower, the basil has started to show healthy looking green shoots and so have the peppers and the mint. So hopefully it wont be too long before i'm eating my home produced salads.

Again thanks to everyone who replied, my next project is growing grape vines!!! Geoff.

janjin

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 21:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Well done Geoff

If you have a friend with a vine they are easy to take a cutting off.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.