North Cyprus Tourist Board - greek cypriot signs property exchange deal
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > greek cypriot signs property exchange deal

greek cypriot signs property exchange deal

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Development Reviews

» Property Buying Guide to North Cyprus

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 13:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

hi guys

it looks like now papadopoulos is not president anymore, greek cypriots are finally thinking for themselves and accepting compensation given to them by north cyprus and turkey

mike tymvios who is greek cypriot entered into an agreement with the Immovable Property Commission in northern Cyprus regarding his property in the north, has signed the document sent by the european court of human rights (ECHR), the agreement with the IPC will become legal once the Court approves the agreement.

Tymvios said that the reason behind his reaching the agreement was the difficult attitude of the administration in the South, as much as his financial problems.

Tymvios signed the document sent by the ECHR and the approval of the Court would take about a month before the agreement would become legal. when the agreement becomes legal, Tymvios will receive 1 million dollars in exchange for his immovable property in the North, as well as 22 donums of Charity land in Larnaca in exchange for his land in the North.

Tymvios held a press meeting with his Barrister, last week where he stated that the reason for his agreement with the IPC concerning his property exchange in northern Cyprus for land and money was the rejection of the Greek Cypriot Government to accept his position.

Tymvios said that when he asked the southern government for a loan, they agreed to help him in exchange for a guarantee to save him from bankruptcy, and a ‘No’ vote in support of the government in the 2004 Annan Plan referendum.

outgoing president papadopoulos issued a statement saying “the government cannot compensate for the property of Greek Cypriots in the occupied lands,” in response Tymvios said this was “an unfortunate and incorrect” statement.

papadopoulos also said that the compensation to tymvios would set a precedent and such a move would not be feasible practically or financially

(still defiant till the end) and any compensation, paid by the government, for one man’s property in the northern part of Cyprus would set a precedent and be unfair to others

His remarks came in response to earlier statements by tymvios who expects the ECHR to endorse an out of court friendly settlement he has agreed on with Turkey, with regard to his property in the north.

tymvios claims he was forced to accept the friendly settlement with Turkey, which would compensate him, he said he needs the money to pay debts he has incurred because of losses accumulated through dealings at the Cyprus Stock Exchange and noted that his property is worth millions.

Tymvios also said that the government refused to give him credit to pay his debts because the District Court declared him bankrupt and tymvios could not pay back his debts, so he then took Turkey to the ECHR claiming his property back. The Immovable Property Commission then responded with a proposal for compensation and land in exchange for his property and he accepted it

lets hope there are more greek cypriots out there has the common sense to go down this road and things can get resolved more easy and stress free to the previous owners and existing owners and not have cases like the orams spring up everywhere we can only hope and see!!!!

regards

ukturk

simbas

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 13:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Hi erkan , hope you are well , what an interesting read , and as always , very informative . what do you think , could this really be the start of things to come ? , as you say one can only sit tight and hope .

have a good w/e , pat

steelman550

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 13:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Erkan,

I asked some questions on another thread named Turkey and the eu.

You have probably answered them in your post.

I wanted to know that if Cyprus was to be unified again who would pay the G Gypriots compensation for any land that may have been built on by developers.

Would it still be the commission, which was setup for purpose.

Kind Regards

Sam.

lovelife

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 14:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Erkan

Interesting read, and as you say lets hope there are more sensible GC's like this gentleman wishing to go down the compensation route.

A million dollars is alot of money, how did they arrive at this sum? is this at todays prices, I read that any money paid out would be at pre74 plus interest, or perhaps did he own a great deal of land in the North then? it is also mentioned that he is to receive 22 donnums of Charity Land, I am interested to know what is Charity land ?.

It is good that the Immovable Property Commission has 'swung' into action and dealt with this, lets hope they are ready for the potential floodgates opening.

LL

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 14:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

hi sam

the question you ask is a good question and quite a hard question to answer for the pure reason i cant say or think on what the greek cypriot government will act on this situation

in therory the developer or the owner will not pay the compensation it will be the Immovable Property Commission for both sides who have lost land, the previous greek cypriot government does not reconise Immovable Property Commission set up by north cyprus and turkey, so if cyprus does become unified then i would have thought a new commission will be setup to deal with this situation because in my view it has gone too long to just say to people on both sides give up your land-properties and give back to the previous owners so if common sense prevails it will be done by a joint commission

if cyprus does not become unified and north cyprus becomes independant then the commission what is in place will sort out any compensation to be paid to previous owners of land thats if the new greek cypriot government reconises this commission

i hope this has answered your question for you

warm regards

erkan

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 14:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

hi pat

thank you for your kind comments im very well thank you i hope you are well

lets hope this is for things to come because most greek cypriots were advised or scared by the previous greek cypriot government to accept or do any buisness with north cyprus or turkey otherwise they were outcasted so many i feel were dicated to rather than just simply having a peacefull souloution to the matter, like i said lets hope more greek cypriots have a bit more common sense and are not dictated to by the government and not forgetting the turkish cypriots getting conpensated in land they have lost also

we can only hope and pray

warm regards

erkan

p.s you to have a nice weekend im enjoying the weather here in turkey at the moment its 22 warm and sunny i bet it will change tomorrow thou when i have got a day off!!!!!

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 14:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

hi lovelife

they did calculate it at 74 prices plus inflation and this guy had over 50 donnums of prime land in and around girne, so if it was calculated at todays prices he would have received much more than a million dollars

charity land is exactly what it means, the turkish cypriot government and turkey set aside land in around north cyprus knowing a day will come when compensation will have to be paid either it be money or land to people who have lost land prior to 1974

like you said it is good that the commision is there to deal with people's losses and greek cypriots take this offer rahter than beliving the propaganda the previous government used to feed their people in saying one day you will all you land that you lost back, which i think is humanly impossiable and i think they will be ready for the floodgates to open if greeks take up this offer because it is also backed by the turkish government in turkey, i just hope the greek cypriot government feels the same for all the turks who lost land and homes in the south like all my family who lost a vast amount of land in the south

warm reagrds

ukturk (erkan)

steelman550

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 14:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Erkan,

Thanks for your thoughts and yes you have answered my question. As usual your information is invaluable to those of us who see conflicting information on the web. At this rate we're going to owe you a free night out in N.Cyprus and not just a couple of beers.

Kind Regards.

Sam.

lovelife

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 14:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Thankyou Erkan

It will be interesting times ahead, like you say I sincerely hope the GC government will be taking an interest in claims as is is only right that the TC's should be allowed to claim compenstion for their lost land.

LL

pollytat

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Erkan For President

You answer Qs that it takes the offcials mounths of confusion to answer.

and we THANK YOU.

Polly

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

hi guys

thank you polly it would be a honour to be president of my country but i think it would be a love and hate relationship because my comment are sometimes quite close to the edge!!!! lol

steelman if i had a lira for everyone that said they owe me a meal and a drink for my help i would be rich aswell well fed (i would never pay for a meal again)!!!! lol

warm regards to you all

erkan ukturk pesident of north cyprus..........44 forum!!!!! lol

dodger

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 20:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Great piece,as usual erkan.Looks like common sense could be prevailing at last,

Regards,

Paul.

Bradus

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Uturk,

what an interesting topic. Good to see people discussing this but what a can of worms you have opened!! It got me thinking about the outcomes of possible property exchanges and compensation. Last time we were in TRNC we took a trip to Lefkosa and I marvelled at some of the fantastic architecture.Venetian houses that in their hay day must have belonged to the rich and famous and society elite. Sadly they were now just decaying ruins. A Turkish lady pointed out that many had been abandoned by the GC's, Armenians and even the TC's because of the nearness to the fighting. I was amazed as to how many properties were empty. The GC's would have us all believe that all had been taken by the TC's and Turkish mainlanders but this didn't appear to be the case. So many have obviously just stood there rotting.

Of course I immediately wanted to renovate them and was equally disappointed that I couldn't wonder inside to see if there interiors were also full of character.(I have obviously watched to many DIY TV programmes) Its an outcry that houses with significant history are perhaps being lost forever. Presumably in the event of a settlement such houses will belong to whoever held the legal title deeds and any compensation will simply be for loss of use? I am sure many of them should have some sort of conservation order on them until a settlement is pending.

Also what do you think will happen to the TC's that have now sold their land in the north, that was given to them by the TRNC post 1974, in exchange for their land lost in the south? If the ECHR maintains that the legal owners are the ones with the original title deeds pre 74 won't they still own their land in the south? Or will the TRNC take the land in the south and use it as part of any comensation settlement.

Just giving you some practice ready for Prime Ministers question time!

daily

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 21:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

This is an interesting discussion that has links with another thread about who pays the compensation to Greek Cypriots in the event of a settlement and unification. Whilst the Immovable Property Commission has the ultimate responsibility, I can't helping thinking that it would be naive of us to think that some cost would not be passed on to the buyer who has a property on exchange land, either via taxes or perhaps payment for title deeds. What do others think?

buddie 12

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 22:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

hi everyone

have a place in tatlisu.mayfare park have been reading with great intrest

i look at nc and reminds of westaustralia in 1966 had 2 sons born there

i left in 1972 population 3.000. population now 125.ooo. in the year 2.000

i do love nc . and hope problems can be resolved .i just dont want massive

developement. it would only a year or two ,to compleatley distroy a beuitfuill

part off cyprus. hope to out in may .

ps . westaustralia still looks ok .but bigger than the uk.

buddie 12. have a nice day.

ukturk

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 23:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

hi bradus

you are right a lot of people are led to belive that the turks took all the greeks properties and land which is clearly not the case you only know have to look all around north cyprus to see a lot of property and land has just been left to rot, people can say why did the turks not maintain and develop these properties but like the lady said it was too close to fighting to safely live in and then after the seperation these properties were to close to the zone-boundary when people did not know was going on if trouble was going to flaire up any day can you imagine you being in that situation would you want to be close to where all the trouble was and not forgetting close to the opposing side or would you want to be far away as possiable on the other side, also the new north cyprus country was not exactly rolling in the money it was purely funded by turkey at first until slowly north cypriots could stand on their two feet so why keep these properties maintained

whatever the outcome tc's who sold their homes or land that was given to them for losing their land in the south should be compensated if they did own land in the south, the reason i say this is because some or most gc's who live in the south live on land that was owned by turks or british prior to 74 that was given to them by the gc government for loss of land in the north and they are still going to get compensated for land lost so why should not the tc's have the same

its a thin line to say the echr maintaing or acknowledging that land is legally owned to this day, they are saying they reconise the fact that this piece of land was previously owned by a turk/greek or brit and they should be compensated for this fact and not saying they still own (wow im already sounding like a politican!!! LOL)

daily its not a case of naivety more like not knowing whats round the corner, but in my view if worst comes to the worst if the commission does not foot all the bill the owners or developers will only pay a small percentage of tax, but i dont think this will happen because in this case it was not reported that the owner of this land now was forced or had to pay any taxes that the gc owned previous to 74 it is footed completey by the commision which is funded by turkey aswell so i dont think this will happen in future cases but thats just my view on it

regards

ukturk

Bradus

Message Posted:
01/03/2008 23:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Personally the more I read the more I come to the conclusion that the EU and the UN should say to the GC's (their flock) with regards to the immovable property commission "use it or loose it"

You can't have a mechanism in place, supported by the ECHR but just carry on moaning and remain apathetic.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.