North Cyprus Tourist Board - Border crossing for 90 day visa
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Border crossing for 90 day visa

Border crossing for 90 day visa

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

s&ssummer

Message Posted:
07/06/2009 21:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

Can anyone help me as I am confused

I have been here nearly 90 days now and want to stay for a further 90 days, can I cross the border into the south to get another 90 days on a visa or do i need to go into Turkey

If I can go into the South side how long do I need to be there before I come back as I am new to all of this and I am being told so many different stories I am now so confused

Please help me someone

Dusterbruce

Message Posted:
07/06/2009 22:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

Crossing the Green Line does not extend your visa!

everon

Message Posted:
07/06/2009 22:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

if that was the case we would all do it. Ask at the police station in Girne, they are very helpful, better than listening to people who THINK they know.

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
07/06/2009 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

Each border control person (to/from the South) interupts the law in their own way. Some will reset your 90 days each time you cross back and forth in the same day, others will give you a countdown on what was left from your last entry visa. It's pure luck which one you get.

The only sure fire way of getting a new visa is to leave via Ercan or the Girne Port and stay overnight in Turkey.

Be aware though that exiting and re-entering DOES NOT GUARANTEE a new 90 visa. That quantity of days is at the discretion of the officer on duty. He/she can give as little as 24 hours, although this is rare but 7 days has been known.

zerochlor

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 00:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

For the last year ive crossed the green line and been given 90 days each time.

Went out from ercan 3 weeks ago.

had no problems.so i think the 90 days they give you when you cross the green line does count,otherwise im sure i would of had problems 3 weeks ago when i was leaving ercan airport.

ianwfs

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 01:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

Re Msg 4

Timothy Cadman is right. 90 days is a maximum. The immigration officer can give you what he thinks you need. If he feels that you leave the country every 89 days as a way of avoiding the hastle of getting a residency, you stand a pretty good chance of being refused entry, or if picked up while you're here, a good chance of a fine and deportion.

If you have a good reason for staying, say, 4 months, a visit to Girne police station should solve the problem without having to leave the country.

Each case is taken on its merits. The rules here are not any different to any other country. If immigration think you're trying to have one over them, they will not be happy!!

Ian

negativenick

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 07:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

listen, there are people who go up the Tumbar who have lived here for 5-6 years and have gone over to the South every 90 days no problem....

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 07:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

very true last year, i was here 8 months only crossing the green line for my 90 days,when i went to the airport i was worried because i had listened to all the people on here saying i couldnt do it,sailed through no prob met a imagration man in the duty free area asked him about all this, and he told me of course you can go across and get 90 days he said if its not a visa why do they stamp it in your passport, he did tell me that offically you should get residency then laughed.

Geoff1131MK11

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 08:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

We all know that some people go over the border for a new 90 visa. The point is, it is not legal to do it.

If you want to be part of the community here, want to live here, then abide by the rules of the country and get a residents permit. Or of course you can continue to cheat the country you live in.

negativenick

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 08:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

mess 9 - not legal ? what planet you on Geoff, course it's legal, we can go anywhere in the ~EU and the south is in the EU - if the North imigration then give you a 90 day visa, that's ok NOT illegal.....

nostradamus

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 08:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

Have to say that when I was last in Girne police station renewing my residency, there was a guy there on 6 month's holiday wanting to get a stamp for another 90 days as he only had 90 days on entry. The police told him to go across the border and get another 90 day stamp and it would be fine.

icona

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 09:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

The trouble is nothing is consistant here the rules differ because they do interpret them differently I know lots of people who cross to the south for the 90 day visa I also know someone who had 24 hours notice to leave because he assumed he could do this. The rule is you cannot. Do your residencey why try to buck the system.

loulou

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 09:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

went over the otherside last week to larnaca on the way back i asked at border they said 90 days every time you cross so my wife now has another 90 days from that day

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 09:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

thee only people that bleat about getting residency,are the people who have done it, payed there money now stuck with it, like all these things once you join you cant get out.

elkiton

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 11:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

Yes we all know someone who lives here on never ending 90 day restamps..however I know someone who was given a 15 day visa stamp, because that was all that was left on her original 90 day after she crossed into the south and back for a trip home.

The 90 day visa is a tourist visa intended for holidays of short duration, we all know that so why argue about it?

The residence visa is for long term or permanent stays....remaining here on never ending 90 day visas is a misuse of the system to save the individual money, nothing more, nothing less...the fact that people get away with it does not make it legitimate. Chatalkoykid, Yes you are right in a way, we bleat about the cheats, but we have no regrets about paying up, I would rather be (just) on the right side of the law than the wrong side.

Incidentally, I wanted a second 90 day visa, and explained at the border that I was going to apply for residency, no problem whatsoever and he wished me well with the application.

TonyE

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

re msg 2

"Crossing the green line does not extend your visa"

This always tickles me... if "TRNC" is a "nation" and the green line is a "border", then WHY doesn't it mean you left one country and entered another - to start the "Visa" clock, again ?

ianwfs

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

I think the message is, if you cross over, when you come back you will PROBABLY get another 90 days. And there are probably many perfectly good reasons why you would want to do this. However, if you are only doing it to avoid paying for residency, it MIGHT be picked up.

We all know of instances where it has been, and the results have been painful. We then hear people complaining about the rules changing. No the rules haven't changed. They just got away with breaking them for a while.

Ian

Geoff1131MK11

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 12:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

Nick, re message 10. Read the last sentence of my post nine again, and have a nice day!!!!!

negativenick

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 14:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

mess 18 - why is it cheating ? as message 14 says, once you've done it once, you are scuppered into renewing year after year......

If you want to go in like a lamb to the slaughter, that's up to you.....

Geoff1131MK11

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 14:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

Nick, the rules of the TRNC are quite easy to understand. When you enter the country you are given a visitors visa which can be up to 90 days depending upon the immigration position at the time. You then have 90 days to apply for temporary residence if you intend to stay past the 90 visa.

As i say, we all know about those who choose to go over the border and get a new 90 day visa and continue to live here. The problems will start if or when these people are stopped and challenged as to their status.

If you are happy to abuse the system and continue to get 90 days by going over to the south, then good luck to you. But please do not start to rant and rave that the system is wrong and that it's not fair if you have to pay any penalty.

I will continue to abide by the laws and rules of my adopted country.

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 15:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

It is no good arguing that the rules say you should get 90 days. As someone said earlier, it is up to the man or woman you see on the border, as with many things in this country, it depends who you are dealing with. If you live here, the best thing is to abide by the law and see all these things as quirks of the personality of the country.

icona

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 17:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

could not agree more too many people try to buck the system. Why cheat the country you have chosen to live in, bit like the laws on importing cars when they get found out and have to pay they dont stop moaning about it. I Know when I lived in the UK imigrants tried to buck the system and people (the brits) moaned about it. this is the same thing its about respect for this country and abiding with their rules.

baxi7

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 17:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

where does that put one , when they have a property in both sides are are happy to spend up to 90 days on either side ? .

joanie1

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 19:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

If you go to Immigration at Police Station in Girne bring all your stuff - blood test from clinic near HSBC 100 lira for foreigners 70 for Turks - yes honestly - they will tell you to go to Immigration in Police Station in Lefkosa in two weeks - forget it - its minimum of three weeks but apparently once you are in the system and on the computer you are fine (or so they say!!) I have applied for residency and am apparently in the system but because my last 90 days expires the day I go back to England I asked at the Immigration office in Girne for an extension but he refused because I had been to Larnaca three weeks ago to meet friends. He said 'You have 90 days from 10th May. I said - yes - but its not an official 90 days 'cos I've only been to the south on a day trip. He said very politely - as though I was slightly mad - Madam you have 90 days - I do hope somebody at some stage can end all this confusion. TRNC not in the EU - ROC is so is it or not a foreign country.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 21:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

Dear Baxi7

if you have property on both sides then register as a resident of the RoC - get an ID card and get two ids... I have two passports and and a CY id card...

I can't remember if I'm still in "TRNC" or not

Best fun I ever had.. I entered Ukraine on a UK passport one time and then next time on a IRL passport... the passport guy looked at me and said .. Have you been to Ukraine before ? YES.. I said but I was British last time..

Why are you Irish this time... ? came the response

I have a jealous girlfriend ...

AH , OK, I understand.. Welcome to Kyiv ( How Ukrainians like to say Kiev ) !

Get loads of different countries ID and confuse immigration authorities - my fav sport !... Hoping to get a Russian passport one day - I am married to a Russian... and go for FOUR nations ID...

If you are lucky the "new " nation will spell your name wrong .. The Russians call me Smit.. and the Cypriots ( Greek) something else "unique"...

cypete38

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 01:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

I have residencia in spain, (canary Islands) which as we are on an Island, gives residents up to 30% off flights to the spanish mainland and other Islands, also a reduction in water,electric and other service bills, we also pay less for visiting tourist sites and international concerts. Some of you may think this is unfair to ordinary visitors, but my question to you is "What do you get for being a TRNC resident for a year" By the way my residecia in Spain is for 5 years at very little cost, I'm on my 3rd one and love it ???

I also used to pay for a TRNC one (6 Years) before I realised that as I only ever stay for 3 months at a time was a waste of money.

Regards to all

baxi7

Message Posted:
11/06/2009 13:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

there is nobody as blind as them that do not want to see '

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.