North Cyprus Tourist Board - Fish restaurants in TRNC: why or why not?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Fish restaurants in TRNC: why or why not?

Fish restaurants in TRNC: why or why not?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Fishing in North Cyprus

» See All North Cyprus Restaurant threads posted so far

» Kyrenia Restaurants

» Famagusta Restaurants

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 13:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

My choice:

1: Hoca (Alagadi Beach): Excellent meze. Choice of fish: catch of the day. Drinks: average priced. Service: fast and friendly. Enjoy your fresh fish on the terrace.

2: Kaplica Restaurant (Kaplica, on the road to Kantara): Modest meze. Fish: you make your own choice (many varieties, some I'd never seen before). Drinks: average priced. Service: fast, friendly and much better than usually experienced in TRNC. You'll eat inside (large no-smoking area), but there's a nice breeze because all windows are open.

Next please.

ROBnJO

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 16:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

Agree with Alagadi Beach! Excellent value, also their Shish or Lamb Chops!

Also in Alagadi village, St Cathleens and Benoz, more expensive but very, very good.

Off the beaten track, two favourites, the little restaurant 'behind' Girne Castle, lovely couple who own it. Down the steps near the Ice Cream Parlour from the Main Car Park & go downhill, or drive down by the Anglican Church, sharp right & straight on down to the sea. Fish to perfection. A little 'oasis' from the Harbour hype!

On the road to Guzelyurt, as you start dropping down from the mountains, Cardak, on the right, overlooking the Pine Forests and picnic areas. Mehmet Goken, the owner, a really nice chap, originally from Episkopi, does wonderful fish, and Kleftico at weekends, he will chat with you for ages over a Turkish Coffee. Had a monster Cipura between the 2 of us!

rob

ROBnJO

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 17:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Another potential candidate.

Caretta Beach Restaurant Akdeniz. Only just opened, lovely spot.

From Girne to Guzelyurt, turn right for Akdeniz after Camlibel, just before filling station, follow signs over gravel roads from village.

Haven't had fish there yet, but a Chicken shish and home cooked Meze were superb! Beachside roads take you to the more remote 'Turtle' beaches.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 18:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

RE msg 2, ROBnJO: if you're interested in fish you may be interested to look at this table of fish that can be caught in the Black Sea, Bosphorus, Sea of Marmara, Aegean Sea and the Mediterranean. Including their Turkish names and best months to eat. Some of 'em are for sale in TRNC.

http://www.allcrusades.com/BB_pics/Fish_varieties_Turkish_names.jpg

It's a screen dump so the quality is only 72dpi. If you'd like to print this table (300dpi) mail me and I'll send you a good quality file.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Another excellent fish restaurant is located in the village of Gemikonagi (on the road from Güzelyurt to TRNC's western border) - but I forgot the name. Does anyone remember the name?

skybluesam

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 18:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Is it Mardin at Lefke?

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 18:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

RE msg 6, skybluesam > Is it Mardin at Lefke? <

=> No, it isn't. But if you know more about "Mardin" - please add your info to this thread.

=> Anyone an opinion about Capitano (at your right hand on the road from Girne to Lapta)?

=> Fish restaurants in Famagusta?

=> In Bogaz (Gulf of Famagusta)?

Denise

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 19:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

i remember a great place for fish in Gemikonagi but i'm not sure if it's still there. it was called cmc pub and was opposite the copper mines but they built a night club right next door. it was the best fish i'd ever had here and i never knew the name but so white and fresh. as for capitanos i went there quite a while back and found it over priced and the portions were skimpy and not very fresh. i haven't been back since but maybe it has improved since then.

sweep

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

what fish is there around the shores which is worth eating if i could catch one.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 21:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

RE msg 9, sweep > what fish is there around the shores which is worth eating if i could catch one. <

=> I wish I knew! I've only seen fishermen (mainly locals) catch beautiful coloured fish as "big" as a small hand while fishing from the rocks. However, they all went in a bucket, so probably you can eat 'em all. No guarantee! I did some fishing from the rocks myself and all I caught was fish I used as life bait in Holland. :-( On the other hand I've heard stories from divers who said they saw shoals of rather big fish not to far from the coast.

Isn't there a local board member/fisherman who can shed light on this "problem"?

newscoop

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 21:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

skybluesam;

It`s Mardin just past Gemonikagi on the way to Lefke.

sweep

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 21:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

thanks dutch, everthing i have read is negitive on the fishing around cyprus so not looking good.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 18:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

All *265* (!) readers of this thread - thank you for your input. Maybe I should have included "fish 'n chips' (in an old news paper)..?

* Fish: usually hake although advertised as cod.

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 20:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

DC,

Anis at Catalkoy has been my favourite for years but will be checking out some of the above.

BTW I'm not sure I'd eat anything out of the sea near Xeros or Lefka. CMC scares the hell out of many people around here.

PaddyPower1

Message Posted:
10/06/2009 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

The Lemon Tree in Catalkoy used to have an excellent reputation but have heard it has gone downhill and that the locals dont go there.

Tony

nurseawful

Message Posted:
10/06/2009 09:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Capitano in on the main Lapta /Girne road Alsancak. Fish meze excellent but make sure you are hungry when you go as you get so much to eat.

smithy

Message Posted:
10/06/2009 09:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Hi can anyone recommend a Nice Fish Restaurant in and around Girne as my Sister is due tonight and although I dont like wet fish (I only like the shelled kind) but I would love to take her .

Thanks Sheila

simbas

Message Posted:
10/06/2009 11:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

Simbas reporting from the Bogaz

1 / Kiyi ------ we love this restaurant , and use it a lot when we are there , Full of local people so it must be good . On our last visit , people were queuing for tables , it also has live music all over the w/e , Prices fair

2 / Nese ---- another good restaurant

3 / Another good fish restaurant is in the harbour on your left as you turn in , sorry i don't know the name of it

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
10/06/2009 11:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

Well done, simbas! And now for Famagusta: are there no good fish restaurants (Ismet?)?

dav88

Message Posted:
10/06/2009 12:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

Msg 1

I have been to both of the mentioned restaurants however my experience with Hoca was slightly different. the food was absolutely delicious!!!! the only thing is that the service was EXTREMELY slow - never seen anything like it - i am not exaggarating but it took them about 1,5 hrs to actually get us the food! But then we were told that they werent expecting it to be so busy that day and they were caught off guard and if you are saying that they were fast as well then Id love to pay them another visit as the food was really really good.

There is also another restaurant which is called the Alagadi Beach Restaurant - I have to say its very nice as its practically on the beach, theres a kids park if you have kids and they have fresh delicious fish and great salad!

Hoca is down the road from the first turning and if you want to check out Alagadi Beach Restaurant you would need to take the second turning and follow it down to the beach.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.