North Cyprus Tourist Board - Technically minded? Wireless router enquiry
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Technically minded? Wireless router enquiry

Technically minded? Wireless router enquiry

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

Masaki63

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 07:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Hi may I ask a techo question please?

With extend on 512 kps package. I am comparing cable wireless routers from the UK. I am considering the Belkin 'G' standard or the Linskys ultra 'N' standard.

If all I need on my network is one lappie and 1 wireless ipod, does it really matter what standard I buy?

Clearly I am thinking for an extra £12 I might as well buy the Linskys but I am curious to learn about this stuff .......ignorance is bliss etc.

Obviously voip is important to me but I am not sure what determines the quality of Sykpe. Is it Extend, Sykpe? And does it therefore matter over here whether I buy a G standard or N standard router?????

Thanks in advance for you thoughts and general views.

Best wishes all

Harold2555

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 07:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Your service will not be greatly improved by buying the N system. It is quicker and has more range so those are the benefits but G will work fine for Skype and most normal activities. Think more of where the laptop and Ipod will be when making your choice. N may allow you more outside use

Harold

keithcaley

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 09:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

I agree with Harold,

the speed of ANY wireless system will far exceed that available from your internet connection - although transfering large (e.g. VIDEO) files from one device to another across your network can be a slow business with the older spec routers.

The main problem here is the amount of steel in the buildings, which really does reduce the range, and can make siting the router a bit problematic - this MAY be where you could gain a slight advantage using 'N'...

Keith.

Stewart

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 12:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Hi....I have tried a few but now use NETGEAR...Rangemax wireless router.

It was highly recommended....has very good range ( even through walls ) ....it is the only router I have had that has not given me any problems.

( I use Skype very efficiently )

yunus

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 12:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

i have a brand new netgear wireless router for sale if you are interested. the coverage range is upto 475 meters.

Stewart

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 14:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Suggest you give Yunus netgear a try ie try before you buy....to check it is suitable.

greengate8

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 18:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Hi Masaki63

Re your query

I has used both G & N series routers, and found the N series far better for range, reception and speed, but as already stated, both suffer from the position of iron reinforcing rods in buildings, so move the unit around to find the best reception spot.

Also the G format bandwidth is getting crowded, as it has been around longer and therefore more people use it. Also make sure you use the encryption software supplied with the unit, and set up a password, or you may find someone else is linked into your system. I found this out when my laptop searched for a channel which was slow, and ended up using a neighbours unencryped system instead of my own.

I noticed an improvement using Skype on the N system, but also a slight reduction in speed at peak times, especially when downloading large files, but is more to do with my supplier, than the router.

Hope this helps

GG

yunus

Message Posted:
10/06/2009 00:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

try before you buy not a problem

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.