North Cyprus Tourist Board - Telivision in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Telivision in North Cyprus

Telivision in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

wynyardman

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 12:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 26 in Discussion

Hi all.

Installing our TV shortly. Need a reasonable amount of English programming and plenty of UK and International news.

Is Digiturk the way to go? Anyone have a telephone number or E mail address? Which package? How much installation costs.?

How much per month? Dont want a satelite dish half as big as the villa.!

All help gratefully received!

wyn

andre 514

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 15:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 26 in Discussion

wyn,

you know the little dish used in britain?

you can receive all the same old stuff in cyprus but the signal is so feeble

a properly set-up 4.2 dish is essential: see astra 2d's "footprint" on lyngsat

supplier: iceman

hand over your eighteen hundred quid and it can go in the back yard,

perhaps camouflaged with shrubbery provided there is a clear view to the south

this is how they do it south of the 'line

it can either be freesat (similar channels to freeview) ie nothing more to pay

or you can even buy a sky package pay the sub but not tell sky it is for overseas use

cheaper, you can go for nilesat that needs an 80-90cm dish and again a freesat receiver,

which many expats use to get about a half dozen english-language/usa programs

these are mainly from gulf stations but include bbc world, free to view

supplier:tek-tan

digiturk is not cheap and features mostly turkish-language material

can anyone update us on dopi tv?

try:

lyngsat.com

maplins

cpc

the butler

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 16:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 26 in Discussion

Hi all,

My tenants in my bungalow have installed Dopi and they tell me it is the best as it has over 2000 channels.

It is quite expensive to set up and requires 3 dishes. I believe it is over £500 for installation but this includes first years viewing. I do not want any comments from mmmmmm thankyou as I already know your thoughts on this and like I have already stated I did not install it.

The butlers wife

wynyardman

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 16:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Andre 514,

Thank you for your help. I really do not want a Satellite dish camoflaged or not in the back yard.

Just some reasonable English imput with decent International News coverage. What exactly does Nilestat/ Digiturk cost to install

then run, and please what does it offer. There seems to be so much information and complaints, to an outsider it is just so

confusing. Contact numbers would be so helpful for best competitive installation.

Thanks in anticipation.

wyn

joandjelly

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 18:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 26 in Discussion

We have D-smart which is a freeview digibox type thingy. Just have to pay set up costs (about £200 I think). Plenty of english language channels, up to date films, Eurosport, Discovery channels etc, etc. I have had it about 2.5 years now and no complaints. Oh we did pay an extra 99TL last year for the full package which gave us some more film channels and lots of other stuff.

hattikins

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 19:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 26 in Discussion

We have that too Jo and it,s fine for our needs, may upgrade the package for the winter months when you spend more time indoors.

Littlenige

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 20:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 26 in Discussion

get an archos machine download from tinternet and bob is your uncle.

if you want news and stuff free to view nile sat 400 tl one of payment.

andre 514

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 26 in Discussion

wyn,

digiturk and dopi tv are subscription servivices you can only really install when you are in cyprus:

I have no personal experience of them, talk to people who use them

nilesat gives you a few gulf channels with american shows in english and bbc world news:

you need a cheap freesat box and a dish the sizeof a dustbin lid and there are no further charges

a lot of people watch videos and dvds as well

wynyardman

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 20:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Andre,

Most helpful. Nilestat sounds good to me.

Littlenige, Could you please explain what an archos machine download. Sorry...Totally alien to me!

And finally.....Who do I get to fit this little lot, and how much?

Thanks all for your help!

wyn

twaddle

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 20:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 26 in Discussion

We bought a Next, Free to Air satellite reciever along with 2 satellite dishes from Tektan. It cost 600 TL fitted and gives us access to about 2000 channels using the Nilesat and Hotbird satellites. Nilesat gives about a dozen English language channels including news channels (BBC,CNN etc), films, American soaps etc. The Hotbird satellite does not give very good coverage of English language programmes, but there are a number of encrypted channels that you can apparently get codes for which you can input via a USB connector on the satellite box which will give you a much improved number of English language channels. Of course that would be illegal and thus I would never recommend doing so. If I was going to do this, which I obviously wouldn't as it is illegal, I would make contact with UKturk who is currently away travelling. If anyone knows how to contact him, I would like to know so that I can ensure that I can test my will power and not contact him in order to get the codes

wynyardman

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 26 in Discussion

Thanks Twaddle,

Point noted.

wyn

andre 514

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 20:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 26 in Discussion

as I understand it there is another way

to crack the 1000 coded channels on hotbird (80cm dish required)

this is if you are connected up as well:

you need a recent dreambox which with software available online

will let you access the channels via your pc and monitor

it is illegal and requires some computer knowledge

as regards nilesat, tek-tan can install for about £160 sterling I'd guess

other firms can do this too, ask around when you are out there wyn

andre 514

Message Posted:
09/06/2009 21:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 26 in Discussion

and before any smart alec pounces and says there is an illegal digital tv service

in north cyprus using card sharing technology and this is "typical for the trnc"

a similar but absolutely huge scandal broke recently in south cyprus

with a cabinet minister and leading figures accused...

rather similar to the trnc mortgaged holiday homes fiasco where it seems

that more than 100,000 property punters lost out the same way in the republic of cyprus

not that two wrongs make a right, he said somewhat tongue in cheek

Aussie

Message Posted:
10/06/2009 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 26 in Discussion

Wyn

Nilesat is good and worth getting for news and general entertainment, movies etc. Probable for an extra 120-150 TL you can get a second small dish and access Turksat which has a few extra english including 3 general entertainment channels a couple of TRNC channels and hundreds of Turkish channels that run some english movies and have sport etc. Its handy to have Turksat if you ever rent the villa to Turkish speakers as well.

Both dishes are the small ones that easily fit on a roof and have plenty of free channels that don't require hacking etc and have no ongoing charges. If you want to go the hacking route Hotbird is another satellite worth getting but not for the unencoded channels which are largely available of Nilesat anyway.

Aussie

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
10/06/2009 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 26 in Discussion

on that aussie

i got hotbird and now softwear needs doing again ,any body know where and who?(uk turk disappeared,lol)

or is it as easy to get dish alligned to something else ,ive nilesat allready via the next box

kav

2Face

Message Posted:
10/06/2009 13:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 26 in Discussion

Hi wyn,

I've noticed you're a very active member of the forum, and have some great posts about a variety of topics. I am a Turkish American and am recently beginning my own television program about expat life in Cyprus. I was wondering if you, or anyone you know, would be interested in participating to be interviewed for my show. It is very informal, and will include an interview regarding your daily activities, your various involvements and simply your thoughts on Cyprus.

If you are interested, please call me at 0533-865-2999 or denil.ertug.2009@trincoll.edu

thank you and i look forward to your response

simbas

Message Posted:
10/06/2009 13:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 26 in Discussion

Can i have your autograph Wynge ?

wynyardman

Message Posted:
10/06/2009 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 26 in Discussion

Pat,

Don't mention TLW and spoil it all. We don't want that getting out.

Just be satisfied with kissing my hand, for now!

TLW

simbas

Message Posted:
10/06/2009 13:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 26 in Discussion

I know my place Sir Wynge , just forgot myself for a moment , forgive me !

Wireless

Message Posted:
11/06/2009 00:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 26 in Discussion

Can I get some advice on TV's? What is the smallest dish I can get Freesat on? With a decent signal and anyone got any idea of how much it costs to get such a satelite dish installed?

Teresa

Message Posted:
11/06/2009 08:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 26 in Discussion

Wyn google archos and you will see them in all their glory. I have had mine for 18 months now and use it everyday. Basically you join a site like the box which is a file sharing , someone in the UK uploads all the current programmes and then you just download them onto your computer transfer them onto the archos and away you go.

Most of the uk programmes are available almost as soon as they have finished showing in the UK.

I download mine the following morning and it takes me between 20-30 minutes to download 1 eastenders.

The only downside to using a programme like this is that you have to share back what you have downloaded so i download everything to an external hard drive.

I will send you a more detailed response by email later today.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
11/06/2009 09:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 26 in Discussion

Dear Wireless

re msg 20

I'm sorry, but the smallest dish you'll catch the "Freesat" channels in Northern Cyprus is 4.2m - cost circa £2-2.5k - depending on the site and if you need a SKY receiver and which one you choose. You can use a Freesat receiver ( note NOT Frevieew- that is the aerial method - and UK signals are available) or a TV with them built in.

Visit

http://www.Skycyprus.com

The owner is a guy called Mustfa ( Iceman) who is well respected all over Europe as THE man re 4.2m dishes..

joandjelly

Message Posted:
11/06/2009 18:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Hatti if you only currently get Movies 24 then it is worth getting the full package for the winter. This is what we did and it was only 99TL. The extra movie channels are much better and pretty up to date films which are shown throughout the month and at different times on 2 different channels.

hattikins

Message Posted:
11/06/2009 18:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 26 in Discussion

Cheers Jo, will definitely do that, I am getting worried that my other half is getting addicted to Perry Mason so perhaps a little more variety will do the job.

Hatti

Aussie

Message Posted:
12/06/2009 10:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 26 in Discussion

Wyn

If you want to get a satellite setup locally I know of at least a couple of options around Esentepe. Ghengis of Stevies bar and formerly the Esentepe Villa hotel I believe arranges such installations from his contacts I understand at good prices.

Also there a Guy called Murat who briefly had an electronics shop in Esentepe but is still based locally. I got him to install an extra dish for Nilsat for my existing setup and he did a good job for a good price. I think he does installation for Tecktan and does full box and satellite packages. His number is 0533 852 0342 but as he doesn't speak much English its best to get someone that speaks Turkish to call him.

Aussie

wynyardman

Message Posted:
12/06/2009 19:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 26 in Discussion

Thanks Aussie,

I appreciste your additional advice.

wyn

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.