North Cyprus Tourist Board - Collecting your residency from Lefkosa
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Collecting your residency from Lefkosa

Collecting your residency from Lefkosa

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about North Nicosia Cyprus

» Read about Residence Permits

» Read about Work Permits

puppylover

Message Posted:
11/06/2009 08:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Thought it would be helpful to let members know that if you are due to collect your residency

from Lefkosa then it would be wise to leave it longer than the 2 weeks as advised by the police in Girne.

Due to a posting from a helpful member on the board we decided to leave it 3 weeks...and I'm so glad we did.

We arrived on Tuesday at 0750 and completed the whole process by 1000.

We chatted to other ex pats who had turned up after the 2 week period and not one of them managed to complete their residency as their paperwork had not been sent through after the 2 week period.

One of the ladies behind the desk stated that the police in Girne should be advising 3 weeks not 2.

smithy

Message Posted:
11/06/2009 09:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Thanks for the info Judy thats good to know

sheila (smithy)

waddo

Message Posted:
11/06/2009 09:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Some friends have just applied for their first stamp and police at Girne refused them paperwork until they could provide proof of holding a Turkish Bank account with between 10,000 to 15,000TL in it.

Has there been a change in the law? Before I get loads of "It has always been this way" replies, I have never had to produce proof of a Turkish Bank account nor proof of a lump sum in my bank accounts! I have always been able to prove that my/out monthly income based on HM Govt Pensions was well above the minimum pay level and that has always been more than acceptable in the past.

As I understand the law it has always been that you have to have proof that you can support yourself without having to rely upon the Government of the TRNC - not that you had a sum of money lodged in a local bank account.

Comments please as I think the law has changed or the police are interpreting it to suit themselves.

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
11/06/2009 10:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

All I know is that you have always had to take a copy of a bank statement with you showing that you have enough money to live here. I expect it has been taken for granted that if you live here you have a Turkish Bank Account, and I would imagine most, if not all of us that live here do, so it has probably not come up on a thread question before. I do know that it has come up in a thread before that Immigration has refused people that cannot show they have enough money in an account to live here, or unless like Waddo they can see you are getting a regular amount in your account, so that is ok. The problem arises I think, is when they can't see that you have a lump sum or a regular income coming in, and for that I would imagine you would need a Turkish Bank account. Stella

waddo

Message Posted:
11/06/2009 10:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Stella,

That is just how I see it as well and always have done. Maybe the police are just being particularly picky because this the first time my friends have ever applied for residency? Guess I will find out later in the year for sure but then (with no lump sum at all) it will be very interesting to see if Gordon the Great will let me back into the UK as I won't have a lump sum there either - LOL.

Aussie

Message Posted:
11/06/2009 22:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

There is a great deal of inconsistency.

Some people only have foreign bank accounts and have been approved without query. Other have had 5-10,000 TL in a local bank and told this still wasn't good enough unless you were drawing out regularly an amount they consider sufficient. This could be anywhere from the minimum wage to double this level.

Aussie

scruffdog

Message Posted:
12/06/2009 09:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

I think they are looking for Brits that might be working without a permit. Not alot of money in accounts yet manage to live the life style we have a reputation for, so how do they get their money. We went last week and have our money, not a vast amount dotted around 3 accounts for security and they examined each one and wanted to see the originals. Last year they gave them a cursory glance and did not want to see originals.

waddo

Message Posted:
12/06/2009 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Only got the one account and that in a UK bank - because I refuse to pay the MoD even more money to have it paid into an overseas account - all I have done so far is print off a statement from my Internet banking the day before we go and it has always been accepted. No lump some in the account and all you can see is the pension coming in and the money going out each month.

Maybe its just the new government and checks are being made but will see in September if it is still the same as last year.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.