North Cyprus Tourist Board - help needed problem with runner beans
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > help needed problem with runner beans

help needed problem with runner beans

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

goonerstan

Message Posted:
14/06/2009 03:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

advice needed , beans whitch were bought in uk, look very healthy all flowers are out but no beans at the end of flowers, they are well watered any advice please

Cyprusraider

Message Posted:
14/06/2009 08:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Don't you have to wait a bit for the pods to replace the flowers?

Either that or..........................they've done a "runner"

chinaeyes

Message Posted:
14/06/2009 09:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Not many bee's about,just give the flowers a tickle with a feather ,small brush at 12pm each day.Hey presto you will have loads of beans.Sorry Goonerstan,couldn't resist the 12pm,my hubby when we first got married played this joke on me about the time to tickle the tomato flowers,it actually works,just putting the pollen from one to the other as the insects would do. Good Luck.

Bladerunner

Message Posted:
14/06/2009 10:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Bean there done it

Bladerunner

Message Posted:
14/06/2009 11:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Heat lack of it weather here up and down cold hot wet damp beans dont no whats going on they need constent nice temp not like we are having here .......my beans look crap

cruggs

Message Posted:
14/06/2009 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

hi goonerstan,runner beans need plenty of water and a humid atmosphere to produce a crop of beans.

are the flowers falling off, if so it coud be that the air is to dry, i would suggest that you water around the beans in early morning, but not over the leaf,s as this could cause scorch, on the plants.they also like plenty of compost in the soil.

failing that perhaps,you have just bought some has beans.

rocking

Message Posted:
14/06/2009 19:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Same story here. 2 years running masses and masses of flowers yet only one picking. Bees or lack of bees my husband puts it down to because we have plenty of water and they are my favourite vegetable. Otherwise when the stringless beans come out buy masses and freeze them - good luck.

taraspring

Message Posted:
14/06/2009 20:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

I usually feed mine with miraclegrow or similar twice a week and when watering, spray the leaves lightly in the evening.

It could be too hot over there for them, try putting them in the shade if you can?

taraspring

Message Posted:
14/06/2009 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Just had a look in my gardening book. Do you see any signs of yellowing of the leaves, or mottled leaves?

goonerstan

Message Posted:
15/06/2009 07:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

thank,s all, yes tara there are signs of yellow on some leaves loads of flowers but when the flowers die there dont seem to be any beans forming , i water at night all the plants look healthy everything else in garden is flourishing just the poor beans

cruggs

Message Posted:
15/06/2009 10:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

hi stan,if you have no luck with your beans this year, but want too try again next year. dig a small trench where you will be planting your beans,about 8" deep, and put in it old wet newspapers and plenty of

compost, and if you canget some sheep droppings or cow manure.leave this for about a month before planting your beans, and you should have a good crop of beans. have you pinched out the tips of the beans

when they have reached the required height as this will encourage the plant too produce more flowers.

if you want to make your own liquid fertiliser, obtain a large old plastic barrelor similar and some sheep or cow manure and if possible some stinging nettles,put it all in the barrel and fill it up with water and leave it for about a month. when you come to use it, use about 1 pint of liquid fertiliser to a gallon of water. another good fertiliser is seaweed, straight from the beach, this is also a good soil conditioner, and will soon rot down into the soil

Lizzykins

Message Posted:
15/06/2009 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Hi,

When the flowers drop off your runner bean plant, you should be able to see the pods start growing.

Good luck with them!

Lizzy x

http://www.ateliermaison.com

gquick

Message Posted:
16/06/2009 09:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

I don't think runner beans wil grow properly at temps above 25 degrees. Patricia Jordan in her Cyprus Gardening book says this. Maybe if you start them earlier enough you might possibly get away with it, before it gets too hot. That's why you probably only see the 'flat' beans or the 'bobby' beans here in the shops I think.

Katey

Message Posted:
30/01/2011 08:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

I live in the south and have been here a long while and Ive never known any one to grow runner beans.

Same ole story!

If anyone has suceeded, I would love to hear the tale

As for various other types of beans a big yes, they do very well.

Also a Avid gardener and Cypriot freind of mine has just grown some beans which are 4-6 inches in length and taste really excellent they are green mauxe in colour, and if let on aprently turn mauve(yet to google and find their name) the been inside...is small and oval, and I shall try and plant, and do the same.

Katey

Dhrenyia

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
30/01/2011 12:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Ok so obviously that is why they are grown here in polytunnels, because they need a consistent temperature and humidity. Just leave the end open for the bees to get in. ( and the occasional snake of course)

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.