North Cyprus Tourist Board - Sunny Lane Teachers Meeting
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Sunny Lane Teachers Meeting

Sunny Lane Teachers Meeting

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

settledhere

Message Posted:
18/06/2009 11:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 23 in Discussion

We have just arranged with Mr Leyland, that all the teachers who have been banned from attending the school tomorrow morning will meet any children and parents who wish to see them. This will be at 1100 down at the Sunset club Lapta Friday the 19th. If you have any contact with paents or children that would want to be there please inform them. As I understand the following will be there.

Mr Leyland

Mr Allen

Mr Ward

Miss Gillian

Miss Howard

Please come and show your appreciation, regarless of what is happening in the future thest teachers have worked had to give our children the education and support over the last years.

settledhere

Message Posted:
18/06/2009 12:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 23 in Discussion

Reply Message 1 of 1 in Discussion

Sorry as if there isnt enough problems, I add to it and put in the wrong name. Ignore the first post read below. (Its very hot today)

We have just arranged with Mr Leyland, that all the teachers who have been banned from attending the school tomorrow morning will meet any children and parents who wish to see them. This will be at 1100 down at the Sunset club Lapta Friday the 19th. If you have any contact with paents or children that would want to be there please inform them. As I understand the following will be there.

Mr Leyland

Mr Allen

Mr Ward

Miss Gillian

Miss Hall

Please come and show your appreciation, regarless of what is happening in the future these teachers have worked hard to give our children the education and support over the last years.

Thinker

Message Posted:
18/06/2009 16:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 23 in Discussion

settledhere, Excellent!!! This is really good news for all the parents and especially the children who these teachers have taught throughout the year.

Well done, I am sure there will be lots of people wishing to attend.

macman

Message Posted:
18/06/2009 20:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 23 in Discussion

So glad to see this post has not been 'closed' and removed from thread list!

Word has got around and many people planning on meeting up to say goodbye and a very big thank you to Mr Leyland and co.

cyprusgaz

Message Posted:
18/06/2009 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 23 in Discussion

Which one of you moderators has removed the previous thread on this matter and why? This is what the BB is all about, finding out what is going on. Or is it because you are under the Unwin influence. Come on guttless own up.

negativenick

Message Posted:
18/06/2009 20:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 23 in Discussion

it sounds like a Brian Rix comedy farce !

what next ? Mark Unwin dropping his trousers ?

dodger

Message Posted:
18/06/2009 20:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 23 in Discussion

Sooner he dropped his wallet Nick,lol

jac k

Message Posted:
18/06/2009 22:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 23 in Discussion

Hi, I was most upset to read last night about the incident involving Gillian - a wonderfully kind lady who adores teaching and her children. I met her last summer and she has become a very dear friend to me and my children and so when I read the posting I telephoned her from the UK - she doesnt read C44 and so I told her about the posting yesterday and the above 'farewell bash'. Gill told me about the politics and I think that it is all rather sad when teachers so committed to the school, children and parents can be treated with such disrespect. Whilst Gill confirms that she was not 'manhandled' she was embarrased and distressed when another colleague was forced to go through her belongings (all 17 boxes) after being given notice to leave the school only 45 mins before - all because she dare ask for her pay for hours she had worked after proper notice was given to leave her job to pursue a headship in another country. Whilst I may not understand the rules in N.C. I think even /cont

jac k

Message Posted:
18/06/2009 22:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 23 in Discussion

/cont

simpletons like me would believe that teachers would be paid their salary as per their contracts and at the end of the term of formal notice and not be told to wait until after the school holidays for their severence pay. I find this all very sad indeed as Gillian has only offered praise for the school and its teaching profession.... and I hope that the people involved soon make good their obligations and pay these poor teachers and put at ease the worries of parents and future parents.

I hope Gill made it to your farewell bash.... It was 1pm UK time when I spoke with her so not sure if she made it....? Take care Gill (if you get on the forum) and best wishes in your new job xxxxx jac and the gang xxx

jac k

Message Posted:
18/06/2009 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 23 in Discussion

Duh!!!!! Sorry, thought meet was today, 18th - will txt Gill and say its 19th xxx sorry!!! jac

AnthonySmith

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 07:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 23 in Discussion

There is definitely something going on. No smoke without fire. I am a little disturbed that several posts involving the Unwins and Sunny Lane appear to have disappeared. I hope this is nothing to do with the blazing Unwins adverts that come up on the site on every thread mentioning them.

Teachers are so important to a child's life, and, if as suggested to me this is normal practice for the Unwins to avoid paying what is owed to staff daring to leave, I feel it is a sad day all round.

I believe the same thing happened two months ago to staff from the estate agency.

Everybody can't be breaking the rules of their employment - although I might just be a little naive there.

I hope Speech Day goes well for the children, and those that want to get the opportunity to say goodbye to these five teachers.

macman

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 07:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 23 in Discussion

Want to bring this message back to the top of the board in case any one missed it yesterday.

aripointer

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 07:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 23 in Discussion

To put the record straight

The seven teachers resigned months ago. At the time the headmaster sought clarification from Mark Unwin who confirmed the notice period required. It was also confirmed the leaving teachers would be paid up to August 31st 2009.

Four of the teachers are going to the new English School of Kyrenia two are going to the Middle East to teach the one other is retiring.

It appears the Unwins were only prepared to pay the leaving teachers up till the end of June 2009, contradicting their contractual arrangements with the teachers. A memo was sent by the teachers to the Unwins setting out their rights. The outcome of the memo was all the seven teachers were dismissed and they were told to clear their desks by 9am Wednesday the 17th June. I understand the Unwins have spoken to Cyprus Today. The teachers will be making a formal statement through their lawyer at a later date. AP

Troodo

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 08:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 23 in Discussion

I see the Unwins are up to their usual bullying again. Anyone prepared to revive the young girl left up a mountain with no money or belongings.

Did I notice the headmasters name on the list? I remember telling him he would need a strong stomach to take on that job.

Troodo.

cyprusgaz

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 09:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 23 in Discussion

Well done AP a bit of clarity at last.

Mr A Smith you have the nail hit spot on the head!!

Thinker

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 23 in Discussion

Speech Day went well at Sunny Lane. It is a pity the five teachers at top of thread were not in attendance.

We wish them all the best in their future careers, Unwin free must be a step in the right direction. Hope their send off at Sunset is a success for both the teachers and the children they would have otherwise missed saying goodbye to.

twosides

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 23 in Discussion

My friends kids go to sunnylane and they were gutted to not be able to say goodbye to the staff who have gone. But they also have heard that the staff leaving were deliberately trying to poach kids for there new schools and that something had been planned against the school for speech day - cause some of the staff did not like the unwins and wanted to damage the school. so they were told to leave before they could do it.

A-s i agree that there is no smoke without fire and maybe there is some truth in this, i dont know. All i do know is my friends are well happy with there kids education - 1 in first school and 1 in high school there - and they have been told about all the new teachers coming from england to replace those leaving. So they know there kids will carry on getting a good education.

donga

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 14:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 23 in Discussion

Hey "twosides".................................. dont buy that al all !!!! -- your 1st post as well.......... hmmmmm.

cant they can still poach kids now they have left or even tried this weeks ago ????

of the 5 leaving I think only 2 are to carry on teaching here & having spoke to both of them today & they never even asked about where my child is going to be educated or even tried to get me to get my kids to leave SLS.

In fact I would go as far as to say that they were very professional as regards dishing out any "dirt" or slagging off SLS.

I have satisfied myself now with what really happened having spoke to other parents. & all I can say is what goes around, comes around.

Aussie

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 14:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 23 in Discussion

Unfortunately it seems schools here often don't seem to look after their teachers and treat them as the vital asset they are for the reputation and success of the school instead choosing to penny pinch on their salary and other commitments etc.

I don't believe Sunny lane is the only school guilty of this.

donga

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 14:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 23 in Discussion

So Aussie then you are saying that the teachers went because of penny pinching ?

I went into the offices at the school today & couldn't get my £125 book fee back because it couldn't be decided who had or hadn't returned their books because teachers were sacked who had this info so now I have to make another trip to school to collect it !!! can I add 18% on for late payment ?? Can I claim a days fees back because they weren't at school cos the teachers were sacked. Not my problem but I still have to pay.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 14:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 23 in Discussion

Another reason why the TRNC isn't ready for the EU. Employment law would ruin this country financially, as would H&Safety, RIDDOR, CDM and COSHH to name a few (don't ask).

settledhere

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 15:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 23 in Discussion

I have been asked to thank the many students and parents who attended Sunset today. From the five EX!! teachers of sunny Lane, Mr Leyland, Mr Ward, Mr Allen, Miss Gillian and Miss Hall. The support and thanks are deeply appreciated. It saddened all to have to say goodbye like this but the teachers were in good spirit and wished all their students good luck in their future lives.

Thankyou also to Ray for saying those few words that expressed how we all felt.

I personally thanked them all for their input to my two childrens education, Both my children have been educated to a high standard from these teachers and their ex colleagues. Thankyou and good luck in the future.

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 16:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 23 in Discussion

This thread is now closed. Reason: Thread was addressed and no need for further posts.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.