North Cyprus Tourist Board - Remove TRNC Flags, Orders Top EU Official
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Remove TRNC Flags, Orders Top EU Official

Remove TRNC Flags, Orders Top EU Official

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
18/06/2009 19:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 72 in Discussion

A European Union official ordered that the TRNC flag attached to the podium from which she was giving a speech was covered over.

Alessandra Viezzer, an EU official from the EU office responsible for relations with the Turkish Cypriots, was attending a ceremony to commemorate the allocation of EU funds to replace asbestos pipelines of a school in Lefkosa.

Prior to the start of the ceremony, a worker from the Lefkosa Turkish Municipality was seen covering the Turkish and TRNC flags on the popdium with a white cloth.

Media officials in attendance quickly raised the question as to why the national flag had been covered over, in response to which Lefkosa Municipal Head, Cemal Bulutogluları intervened and removed the cloth.

Deniz Birinci, the Foreign Affairs Officer of the Lefkosa Turkish Municipality, has issued a statement over allegations that she had in fact alerted Mrs Viezzer by asking her “if the presence of the flags would have made her uncomfortable”.

source: Cypru

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
18/06/2009 20:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 72 in Discussion

source: Cyprus Star.

And if this BB didn't have a "limited characters per post" function I could have added that the EU official moved away to another podium with an EU flag and no Turkish stuff.

girne 29

Message Posted:
18/06/2009 20:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 72 in Discussion

ilivekibris.

I dont see what you are getting at.Are you saying they were wrong to cover the flags?

The woman could not have been seen to stand on a podium with a TRNC flag.

She would have understood the objections that the ROC, a member of the EU for whom Viezzier works, would have had with what they would have seen as a form of recognition.

As such it was the sensible thing to do.

The foreign affairs officer showed good sense if she did indeed alert Viezzier,and prevented any embarrassment.

Maybe this is an example of what is wrong with the press.

How much was said about a lot of nonsense about flags,compared to

how much was said about the benifits to the schoolchildren of replacing the asbestos and any other examples of how EU aid is helping improve peoples lives in the TRNC.

Teresa

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 08:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 72 in Discussion

Of course they were wrong to cover the flags, what you fail to understand is that the Tutkish Cypriot people are very proud of their flag and as such covering them is an insult to the TRNC as a whole.

This was just another case of not upsetting the ROC and to hell with the rights of the Turkish Cypriots.

sporty

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 09:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 72 in Discussion

more crap thrown at the north! When will the ROC learn?I can understand bitterness between the 2 sides but theres no way its ever going to be sorted out whilst they have this mentality.I mean its been 40 yrs or so,another generation now! Talk about deep rooted or what?

cypwine

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 09:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 72 in Discussion

Looks like the TC EU lady is sick of the way the tcs are being treated by Turkey and wants them the tcs to be able to enjoy the EU along side all Cypriots and for them to be recognised for what they are, that is cypriots...

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 12:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 72 in Discussion

girne 29,

Whoever put the TRNC flags there in the first place was a chump. Embarrassing a guest representing the EU (which most Turkish Cypriots wish to join BTW) shows how immature and useless certain TRNC authority figures are. They wouldn't even rate running a parish council.

Teresa

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 12:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 72 in Discussion

ilovekibris will you be changing your name to ilovecyprus and what is your source for saying that most Turkish Cypriots wish to join the EU. They love their independance and they love their flag, they wont give that away very easy even if it does mean continued embargoes.

Stubs

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 12:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 72 in Discussion

Turkey or the TRNC is not part of the EU and the flags should not have been present.

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 12:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 72 in Discussion

teresa wrote: "what is your source for saying that most Turkish Cypriots wish to join the EU"

How about the overwhelming vote to accept the Annan Plan? Unless you can provide more credible evidence. Do you really think the TCs want to stay a part of a failed statelet that limps on to ruin amid globalisation and recession? Maybe we mix in different circles.

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 12:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 72 in Discussion

What would you want to join the eu for? But hey you are run by Brussels and have to do as you are told maybe that's the answer.............

Teresa

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 72 in Discussion

ilovekibris maybe we do move in different circles, yes you are right there was an overwhelming vote for the Annan plan the carrot was dangled we voted yes and the carrot was pulled away, now think about the old saying once bitten twice shy lets see what the response is at the next referendum.

CyprusChill

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 72 in Discussion

Credit to all those considerate enough to tackle the issue of asbestos and potential health impact to children and staff alike at this necessary community building.

To those that flagged it up and are responding accordingly, you deserve applause.

vincehugo

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 20:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 72 in Discussion

ILK Re Msg 10

How can you conclude that voting for the Annan Plan was a vote for the EU. It was a vote for a solution to the problem of a divided island and the GC imposed isolation of the Turkish Cypriots. That does not mean it was a vote for the EU. Are you saying that if the RoC had not sneaked its way into the EU at the same time then the Annan vote would have been different?

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 20:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 72 in Discussion

Teresa,

Don't you think the many thousands of mainland Turkish settlers would dearly love to become EU citizens? Do you really think they'd rather scratch a miserable existance in the TRNC than move to the UK, Germany or anywhere in Europe? You can bet they're glad they were made "Turkish Cypriots" and that they didn't stay put in Turkey, which is years from joining the EU. What an opportunity for them - and all they have to do is vote for a settlement.

One thing I've noticed over the years is the longer some people live in a TRNC bubble, the more out of touch with common sense and reality they seem to get.

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 72 in Discussion

vince,

See my post above. The carrot of EU citizenship swung it for the mainland Turks who outnumber the native Turkish Cypriots two to one.

wynyardman

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 20:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 72 in Discussion

Teresa,

As much as I respect the way you live your life, I cannot agree with you, on this one.

They were right to cover the TRNC flag, and it was wrong to embarrass their guest in the first place.

The TRNC now occupy the moral high ground. They voted with the voice of compromise, proposed by the International

community...Annan.

Now after the most intense negotiations (held in good faith) the honourable people of the TRNC must vote YES again to

what Talat has negotiated.

IF the GCs dare walk away, they have lost the moral high ground, and YET AGAIN they have ignored the wish of the

International Community. AT THAT POINT, The International community will see the truth of The TRNC and will throw their

support behind them. A divided Cyprus or a seperate "microstate". A solution awaits!

Now is the time that we must all keep our nerve.!! Good fortune favours the brave.

PS I used to think that bipolar was where Eskimos went on holiday, until I jo

elko2

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 20:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 72 in Discussion

If I was the mayor, I would have done exactly the same thing. I would not allow the flags to be covered up for convenience. However, it was correct to inform the guests in advance and give them a chance to hold the meeting elsewhere.

ismet

wynyardman

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 20:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 72 in Discussion

Ismet,

They say pride comes before a fall. The TRNC is an illegal state (at this point in time) and as such unrecognised by The International community. Protocol...is just that!

wyn

elko2

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 20:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 72 in Discussion

Wyn,

Charity begins at home. First we must respect our own country before we expect respect from others.

ismet

jobstogo

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 20:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 72 in Discussion

i live in the uk and being in e u is the worst thing that happen to the u k and it will be the same for north and south cypriots as time goes bye good luck to you all

vincehugo

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 21:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 72 in Discussion

ILK Re Msg 16

And you know that for a fact, do you?

wynyardman

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 21:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 72 in Discussion

Ismet,

You of all people. Respect for the law! The TRNC (AT THIS POINT IN TIME) is an illegal state! Now I am all for altering that

status. Hopefully in the coming months The International Community will AT LAST concur.

wyn

Teresa

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 21:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 72 in Discussion

ilovekibris i am not talking about the mainland Turks i am talking about the Turkish Cypriot people.

Wyn i respect your opinion however i think we need to wait and see what is on the table before deciding whether to vote yes next time. I remember all too well the lengthy discussions over countless cups of coffee before the last referendum. It was the one guaranteed conversation in every household everyday for weeks prior. Rightly so the Turkish Cypriot people feel very betrayed by the "outside" world who offered everything for their yes vote. Nothing has changed since the last referendum. The current talks are being done behind closed doors and not much is being made public yet so it is very hard to say which way any vote would go if we ever get to that stage.

Elko i agree with you 100%

harryroberts

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 21:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 72 in Discussion

Turkey or the TRNC is not part of the EU and the flags should not have been present.

correction turkish cypriots are part of the eu ask some of the thousands who have roc id cards.

trnc is also part of the EU but the trnc government has no say as they are not reconised by europe

Stubs

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 72 in Discussion

Harry

The acquitis is suspended in the TRNC. The TRNC or Turkey are not part of the EU.

Those Turkish Cypriot Citizens who have TRNC/Turkish passports are not even EU citizens.

If the TRNC is part of the EU as you claim why is there restrictions with regards the freedom of movement of goods and people ie passport control?

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 72 in Discussion

Vince msg 22,

I'm sure of it. Wait and see.

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 22:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 72 in Discussion

teresa,

Would you care to hazard a guess as to how many mainland Turks hold kimlik cards and masquerade as Turkish Cypriots? After that ask yourself how much they outnumber native Turkish Cypriots.

vincehugo

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 22:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 72 in Discussion

ILK Re Msg 27

You may be sure of it but that doesn't make it a fact. I'm very happy to wait and see but I am pretty confident that joining the EU will only be one of many factors deciding how people vote should we ever get to that point.

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 23:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 72 in Discussion

vince,

Absolutely there will be many factors but the overriding one will be the ability to massively improve one's quality of life. If you think the Poles went for the West big time wait until Johnny Turk has his EU passport. Unless of course you think he'd prefer to spend the rest of his days playing tric trak in a crowded tea joint off Tin Pan Alley.

harryroberts

Message Posted:
19/06/2009 23:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 72 in Discussion

Stubs

Turkish cypriots are citizens of the roc they have freedom of movement they can obtain cypriot/Eu passports.

The acquitis is suspended in the TRNC. The TRNC or Turkey are not part of the EU

yes its supended but i dont need to explain to you why.

freedom of movement of goods in and out of cyprus is available to tcs providing they use the intrenationally reconised ports of entry its the turkish border control who make restrictions.

passport control i have never been asked to show my passport on the south side only the north.

turkish cypriots are not isolated they work use hospitals and claim benifits in the south as they are entitled too.

Oleander

Message Posted:
20/06/2009 00:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 72 in Discussion

How many flags from other countries who are not in the EU were flying there?

The flags should not have been put up there in the first place.

girne 29

Message Posted:
20/06/2009 01:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 72 in Discussion

ilovekibris

message 15

Wont happen,the Turks know this by now.They might hope for some sort of guest membership.

Even if Turkey did get in, the Germans/ French will do what they did with Poland etc.They refused to accept the new influx of labour for 5 years by simply stating their populations and society were not ready .Unlike us, they also look at the social costs of cheap labour as well as financial savings.

" Commission Opinion of 18 December 1989, in response to Turkey's application for full membership in 1987. The Opinion stated the "access of Turkish labour to Community labour market ... gives rise to fears, particularly while unemployment remains at a high level within the Community." Given that continuing high unemployment trends are still evident within the member states, this issue has therefore remained a problem area within the general context of Turkey-EU relations. "

If fears in 89, they must be terrified now, with even worse unemployment and extreme right.

Stubs

Message Posted:
20/06/2009 01:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 72 in Discussion

Harry

With respect you seem a little mis-guided or mis-informed about the situation in Cyprus. When crossing from the north to the south TC registered cars, including those driven by ex-pats, are asked for ID Cards/Passports as well as asked to show a copy of their insurance. I can recount only on a couple of occasions when we were waved through without showing any id.

The freedom of movement of goods is governed by the green line regulation. It is not Turkish border control who control this but ROC customs in line with the said EU regulations. Any goods using this route must also receive the stamp from the Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Commerce which is recognised by the GC side. It is NOT Turkish border control who make these regulations as you claim.

Aussie

Message Posted:
20/06/2009 02:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 72 in Discussion

Harry

I agree with Stubs virtually every time i cross the border either on foot or by car I get asked to show my passport by the GC police at the "non border".

IF the ROC aren't treating this as a defacto border why are there so many Police at Ledra Street immediately after the UN zone and why do they check the passports of everybody who is obviously not a GC.

Aussie

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/06/2009 12:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 72 in Discussion

Dear Jobstogo

re msg 21

>>i live in the uk and being in e u is the worst thing that happen to the u k and it will be the same for north and south cypriots as time goes bye good luck to you all<<

I also live in the UK, and haven't forgotten that the Nissan and Honda factories that came to Sunderland and Swindon are PRIME examples of how EU membership BROUGHT jobs to the UK..

1/ Skilled workers

2/ Less Red tape - re employment laws

3/ Ease of import / export - access to markets

4/ Infrastructure

What's changed ? ..

Recession, cheaper labour in East Europe, and more red tape from present Govt.

May I ask a Q.. who will we sell to - if we LEFT the EU, and WHY would they give the UK "special status"? .. UK workers can also move within Europe to find jobs.. live freely within Europe... it works BOTH ways..

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/06/2009 12:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 72 in Discussion

Dear Aussie, re 35

methinks you need to check out the Green Line Regulations as drawn up by the EU..

The RoC police are supposed to check the passports of EVERYONE crossing into the area they DO control - it is checked at a crossing point - NOT because it is a "border" - but because it is the first place where EU Immigration policies can be effected .. but you I think you knew that ;)

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
20/06/2009 20:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 72 in Discussion

girne 29,

I accept what you say about Turks in TR but Turks lucky enough to be in the TRNC can see the finger of the EU beckoning - if only they put an "x" in the right box. And I'm pretty darned sure they'll do it again.

girne 29

Message Posted:
21/06/2009 23:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 72 in Discussion

ilovekibris

dont think Turks in TRNC live in isolation from the rest of europe.What with internet ,telly and papers,they will know as much as any other that Turkey is VERY unlikely to get into EU.

To suggest that the rest of Europe is waiting to see how the Cyprus(where that?) vote goes ,before allowing Turkey to join would be extreme arrogance on the part of the Cyprus establishment.

the decision has been already been made.

I have said it before, Hans, Pierre,Fritz,Jose, couldnt care less about Cyprus, Holland France Germany and Spain ,are what they care about. They will in no way let their Governments allow Turkey in just because of the way some vote in Cyprus went.

1 million people in Cyprus, will have no bearing on what the other 500 million in EU think about allowing a further 72 million from Turkey or elswhere ,in.Enlargement is finished ,EU is already too large.

Has anyone heard a friend or workmate,talking about EU enlargement and Cyprus at the same time.

girne 29

Message Posted:
21/06/2009 23:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 72 in Discussion

also

would it not be better for future relations between Turkey and ROC, for the EU as a whole to be seen to be threatening Turkey's entry rather than ROC,

Famagusta Post 21/6

"Cyprus President Demetris Christofias has warned Turkey that its European Union accession course could be at risk, if it does not meet its obligations to the Union and to Cyprus.

“Unless Ankara fulfills its commitments, it will find us on its path to join the Union,” the President said "

find us on its path!!! Pretty aggressive stuff.

I envisage one day,Europe,behind closed doors, telling Christofias "we will decide who gets into the EU, not you.Now beat it little man.

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 13:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 72 in Discussion

girne 29 wrote: "dont think Turks in TRNC live in isolation from the rest of europe.What with internet ,telly and papers,they will know as much as any other that Turkey is VERY unlikely to get into EU."

Absolutely, but Turks in the TRNC now have a golden opportunity to become free travelling citizens of Europe so why would they waste time worrying about their brethren over in Turkey?

Turkish settlers in north Cyprus would vote for reunification in overwhelming numbers if it meant they could get an EU passport - and that's what's probably going to swing it.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 13:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 72 in Discussion

Dear ILC

re msg 41

I think we have to use "re-unification" loosely - i.e not implying it means going back to 1960's constitution - the "RoC"

I know you MEAN that - but it has to be pointed out .. ;)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 14:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 72 in Discussion

re msg 40

Girne_29 quoted on : “Unless Ankara fulfills its commitments, it will find us on its path to join the Union,” the President said " saying - Pretty aggressive stuff.

MMs : pretty restrained considering nearly 40% of it's sovereign territory is occupied...no ? ;)

Until TR allows RoC planes to overfly and land on TR territory and GC reg'd ships to dock in TR ports - as per the Ankara Accord - signed by TURKEY..as part of the accession process- it doesn't even have to be the "rump" RoC that is standing in TR's way ...

France, Austria, NL, etc will continue to point out TR is not "serious" as it doesn't comply with agreements it has signed during the accession process :(

girne 29

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 16:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 72 in Discussion

mmmmm

I meant pretty aggressive insofar as sabre rattling at this time is stupid and childish.

The Turks know all that he says without him ramming it down their throats. Whats the game plan ,to insult them so much that they end up cutting off their noses to spite their faces. This is the same nonsense from both sides, thats held things up for the last 10 years

Comes a solution Cyprus will have to live with its powerful neighbour,Mr C should spend more time time trying to find an accomodation with the TRNC and less time getting up the Turks noses. Europe knows fine well how the veto system works and Turkeys place in things at the moment,and doenst need Mr C to puff up. While in no way saying the Cyprus problem has no effect on EU ,I would say the Europeans have things with a far greater priority to bother about closer to home than a small near middle eastern island.

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 16:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 72 in Discussion

mm msg 42,

I was going to say BBF but that would have put brains into tailspin.

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 72 in Discussion

girne 29 wrote: "Mr C should spend more time time trying to find an accomodation with the TRNC"

But saying that is to misinterpret the situation in Cyprus and the mindsets of the leaders. As far as Christofias and his entire community are concerned he is dealing with Turkey and the Turkish Cypriot community in Cyprus - most of whom are now confined the the northern part of the country.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 16:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 72 in Discussion

Dear Girne_29

I hardly think pointing out the "obvious" ( non -compliance " with EU agreements - willingly signed ) is "sabre-rattling" .. Turkey has to get used to being a club member - be it the EU / or the Council of Europe ( ECHR)

The small island is causing the EU a lot of grief - and they'd like to find a solution - it has been a club were members don't resolve differences by invading - particularly when the UN was mandated by the two "naughty members" GR / TR ) to allow the UN to peace-keep !

Mr C's puffing up is more for the locals !

girne 29

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 72 in Discussion

ILC

Message 41

Glad you think ,unlike most in the south that the Turk settlers should be allowed to stay and gain EU citizenship.

That is one major hurdle removed.

If thats the case the only major issue to be solved is the property one.

The only problem I have is in your contention that the carrot of being able to work in UK etc will make turkish settlers vote Yes to a settlement.

I was hoping the settlement would be such that it would make EVERYONE want to vote YES,based on its stand alone merits for the overall good of Cyprus and the people who will live there,rather than on the narrow self interest of whether one

group of people get to leave and go to Europe or not. Thats no recipe for a lasting solution,especially when disappointment creeps in when the Turks in Cyprus realise there is not the freedom of movement of labour that they expect.

An equitable settlement and a Yes is the only way.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 17:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 72 in Discussion

re msg 48

Did I miss something ?

"Glad you think ,unlike most in the south that the Turk settlers should be allowed to stay and gain EU citizenship. "

You, ILK and I all know that this number will be limited - now WHAT will be the limit ?!

We also all know that the "TC" yes to Annan was because of the rights EU membership would have inferred - TCs have allowed themselves to be convinced the EU "cheated" them -post Annan.. that is not the case .. if one checks the aid given to projects in the "area of CY " outside effective control of the RoC .. !

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 18:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 72 in Discussion

girne 29,

I think some of the more recent arrivals from TR - single men, itinerants etc - will have to be repatriated but not those settled with families e.g. second generations. Clearly some gesture will have to be made.

I was dealing with the TR and TC people separately because they are two very different sets of people with polarised mentalities. The majority of TCs will I believe vote again for a settlement because they feel more European and see their future as being in partnership with the GCs in Europe. They also this is the only way to end the isolation, bring more prosperity and give all of our children a future.

The extremists and nationalists belong to yesterday and will be sidelined. Even the TR chiefs of staff believe this, I think. The Ergenakon arrests give us some faith on this score.

rocking

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 22:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 72 in Discussion

Please all fly the TRNC and Turkish flags - I have had two enormous flag poles made and fly them with pride. You can buy them in Girne, Lefkosa in many shops hang them up or fly them.

rowlo

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 72 in Discussion

fly them flags high, LONG LIVE KKTC ,

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 23:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 72 in Discussion

The bigger the flag, the bigger the insecurity...

rowlo

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 72 in Discussion

msg 53 , you must be so insecure ? you threatened kimandneil , off board ????????????????????

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
22/06/2009 23:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 72 in Discussion

ilovekibris

'I was dealing with the TR and TC people separately because they are two very different sets of people with polarised mentalities. The majority of TCs will I believe vote again for a settlement because they feel more European and see their future as being in partnership with the GCs in Europe. They also this is the only way to end the isolation, bring more prosperity and give all of our children a future.'

You are so out of touch with the people of the TRNC, you need to re-aquaint yourself with what is happening in the TRNC. Come and visit us and I will show you the true feelings of the TC's and mainland Turks.

That is if you feel safe to do so.

AJ

girne 29

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 02:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 72 in Discussion

ILK and mmmm

Does it really matter why they vote Yes as long as they do vote yes.

My point was that the YES vote , should be made because the settlement was considered just by both sides.

I think you are being defeatest in thinking the settlement will not be good enough for the north to vote yes on the merits of the agreement solely.

Why should the carrot of being able to work in EU (wont apply anyway) be necessary. The isolation you mention will be ended with the YES vote anyway.

Have you any info that suggests that the agreement will be bad for the north and therefore the voter will require some sugar to swallow the bitter pill.

I think also ,you over emphasise the attraction of the EU.

Watch this space, trouble is brewing in Europe.

Anyway guys think positive. I have read nothing that suggests agreement will not be forthcoming apart from the odd tantrum from the two sides.

sporty

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 07:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 72 in Discussion

i reckon if these talks get to a position of a referendum,it'll def be a yes vote from both sides,neither side will want to be seen to pull out this time,most of the things will be ironed out before they take a vote.

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 72 in Discussion

I agree sporty.

Tiggy

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 15:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 72 in Discussion

Well said Rowlo. Fly the TRNC flag with pride.

I see all the above have again fallen for Pikes propaganda shite.

Amazed if he has threatened anyone off board as he is a coward, the person must have been under 10. (please feel free Pikey, to register your dismay at my message aimed at you….Izett is the man to lodge it with.)

Just back from Eire myself this morning. Nice to see Pikes mates up to their racist tricks in Belfast.....if you are not a "Brit" you are not wanted! Wonder if he is/was a member of combat 18......mind you their uniform is not up to much.

CyprusChill

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 20:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 72 in Discussion

Mine is sited at the top of the mast and looks the part.

cypwine

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 20:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 72 in Discussion

well i suppose you do have to fly the flag to remind yourselves that your in an unrecognised state..

clayton

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 21:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 72 in Discussion

unreconised or not so what,its you who seems to have the problem.cypwine.

dizzycows

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 72 in Discussion

ILK and cypwine just drone on and on about nothing, they both think they know it all, but too most of us they both are a boring, silly, bitter individuals with not enough broad spectrum conversation other than to condemn all that dont agree with them regarding N.C issues.

cypwine

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 72 in Discussion

dizzycows

i have just watched mediteranian nightmares have you ? if yes does it not ring any bells..

dizzycows

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 23:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 72 in Discussion

Sorry to spoil your little bit of fun, nope did not watch as do not watch t.v, as mostly thats reported or documented is done just for spin and hype. Having been involved with documentries and news, mostly all sensationalism. So, my dear nothing fazes me, so go get a life, and please try and see others point of view, it does help you know.

cypwine

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 23:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 72 in Discussion

dizzycows

if its all senationalism then please tell me if all the warnings by the british goverment are also just spin and hype ? i ahve a life thank you and a legal one at that.

dizzycows

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 23:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 72 in Discussion

Good, well go and get on with it and stop being so 'assy', glad to hear that you are doing things all legal, we will bow down to you if we ever meet, or do we curtsey, cant remember what one does when we meet someone SO selfrighteous,

Turtle

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 23:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 72 in Discussion

Msg 64 Mediterainian Nightmares ?

Try looking a bit closer to home sweatheart...............100,000 and counting.

dizzycows

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 23:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 72 in Discussion

Yep turtle, this is something that will be exposed soon about the South, 'rock on tommy', as they say

CyprusChill

Message Posted:
23/06/2009 23:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 72 in Discussion

Oh how it must gripe to have not suceeded with greek Enosis.

The pain it seems to cause in a few bellies and the guff it produces.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
24/06/2009 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 72 in Discussion

Dear Cyprus Chilli

re 70

Well you just singled yourself out for "I know nought about the CY problem" prize..

Enosis with Greece is just NOT on any radar with the VAST majority of Cypriots .. they are in the EU - they don't NEED Enosis with Greece ..

They aren't "Greek" - don't "encourage them" ;)

re msg 29 Girne_29

firstly you didn't respond to my point in 49 - re how many non Cypriots - will be "allowed" to stay - or even VOTE in a referendum - bearing in mind AJ's point in msg 55 !

EU rights aren't a "sweetener" - the GCs have 'em already....

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
24/06/2009 16:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 72 of 72 in Discussion

cont re msg 71

In case of confusion - my last statement is meant to infer TCs should gain all those rights, too !

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.