North Cyprus Tourist Board - Nicosia/Lefcosia market
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Nicosia/Lefcosia market

Nicosia/Lefcosia market

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about North Nicosia Cyprus

cleos

Message Posted:
14/03/2008 01:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Hye everyone

I have heard that there is a daily market in old Nicosia/Lefcosia. Apparently it is an indoor and outdoor market that sells everything (fruit/veg/fish/meat/clothes etc) and is cheaper than Girne. Can anyone give directions to it as i would love to have a morning out at the market.

Thanks

simbas

Message Posted:
14/03/2008 05:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

hi cleos , welcome to the forum , i know where the market is , but i'm so sorry i could'nt give you any directions that would make any sense to you , but i'm sure someone will be able to .

good luck simbas

Bilko

Message Posted:
14/03/2008 09:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

The covered market is very close to the Selimye Mosque, formerly St Sophia Cathedral, the twin minarets can be spotted from almost anywhere in the old city. It's a wonderful bazzaar, but I dare you to buy any meat from there! Best to dine at El Sabor Latino, one of the best value for money restaurants in town, in the Mosque precincts.

missionary

Message Posted:
14/03/2008 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Enter the old city by the old Krenia Gate.

Go straight up the main street (can't remember its name sorry).

Approach Ataturk Square and you will see its 'Nelson's Column' on your right.

When level with it take a left turn down a narrow sidestreet (before you get level with the Saray Hotel)

Go down that street about 100 metres and you will see the road broaden out and there is a gate to a car park on the left(there might be a silver coloured statue in the middle of the road just opposite if I remember well.

The car park has a large 'P' sign in white on blue on a gantry over the entrance.

You will find the market just to the right, but in fact all around you there are stalls and market type shops etc.

For lunch, head down beside the big mosque and there is a nice Italian/Spanish restaruant at the bottom of the plaza on the left beside the mosque. Whilst walking down there look-out for a crazy antique shop beside the mosque too.

mish

cleos

Message Posted:
14/03/2008 12:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Thanks Bilko and Missionary

Just one more Q - if i am coming over the mountains from Girne at the big Lefcosia roundabout (the one with stone and water) would i go straight on and past the hospital ? My sense of direction is poor until i have been somewhere a few times - i once got lost on the M1 !!!!

Thanks

Littlenige

Message Posted:
14/03/2008 13:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

go straight on and past the hospital

missionary

Message Posted:
14/03/2008 14:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Well I am certainly no local and don't even live in TRNC. But my driving has been straight from Kyrenia Gate due north. At the main by-pass (?) there is a set of traffic lights, I turn left and eventually get to the rock fountain rbt with a right turn for Girne.

So your inward trip to Kyrenia Gate is the reverse. from Girne, left at the rbt, go for about a mile and a half and there is a set of lights at a tee juntion and I am sure it is signed into the centre, whereas others have no sign. Go straigt down there and you eventually find the Krenia Gate on the left.

But what do I know? I am sure others can be far more specific about your approach, I am but a stranger there unfortunately.

good luck

mish

cleos

Message Posted:
14/03/2008 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Thats great. Thanks a lot to you both - guess where i will be trundling off to next week !!!!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.