North Cyprus Tourist Board - Hi - from a new member
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Hi - from a new member

Hi - from a new member

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Gordon1955

Message Posted:
25/06/2009 17:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

My wife and I initially wanted to retire to the South of the Island but with very high property prices, problems with lack of title deeds and the fall in the value of the Euro against the Pound that is no longer an option. NC seems to be a safer bet and better value for money. We intend to sell our home in the UK, deposit the equity in a monthly income deposit account and rent for at least one year to ensure that we are making the move for all the right reasons etc. After a year we may consider purchasing a villa (ideally in a village location - DO NOT want to move into a holiday complex or Brit enclave - currently looking at vilages around Kyrenia.

Does anyone have any information about current prices etc.

What is the property resale market like at the moment?

Thanks for any information you may wish to share with me.

Gordon

kofaliking

Message Posted:
25/06/2009 17:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Hey, just like to say welcome to the forum! Its a great forum, i can bet you will get alot of useful information regarding this question. This forum is like heaven on earth when it comes to finding out information first hand!

I am renting here so i couldnt tell you about the resale market and current purchase prices etc, but what i can tell you is that NC is a beautiful place, and it is very cheap to live.

I know you will enjoy it if you move out here.

Good luck.

BigMart

Message Posted:
25/06/2009 17:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Hi

We moved out here last september to kayalar, out to the west of lapta and love it.

Don't take too much notice of the doom and gloom mafia and all the in-jokes and tittle tattle on here, try and make your own way, select friends wisely and I'm sure it will be fun for you .

martin.

smithy

Message Posted:
25/06/2009 18:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

I moved over lock stock and barrel, and have met some wonderful people, and its a great life, yes we all get our ups and downs but hey where in the world dont you,

So Welcome Gordon I hope you both decide to move over here and maybe you will meet up with other forum members at one of our get togethers.

Sheila (smithy)

Pipie

Message Posted:
25/06/2009 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Welcome Gorden , very wise to rent for a year , give you a chance to see where area you would like to buy . Good luck .

sunrise

Message Posted:
25/06/2009 20:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

You will find most people in NC are really friendly and I'm sure you will love it here. There are plenty of places for sale, so it's a good idea to rent and take your time to find the right place.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I and many of my friends do.

spider

Message Posted:
25/06/2009 21:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Welcome Gorden and wife...We rent a very nice place,took a while to find the perfect place to settle,saying that we stayed at the first place a year and a half,This home is just fantastic,and Mr Spider just loves doing the garden,its looking so nice,he will be painting inside and out,once the weather gets cooler,so even though rented its ours for years,and many more to come.so home it is.

Good Luck,Best wishes Spider,x

ilovekibris

Message Posted:
25/06/2009 21:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Gordon,

Do your homework on Cyprus by reading up on the politics of the island and the legal consequences of partition to make sure you don't end up buying property that belongs to someone else. Thousands of people have done this, some unwittingly. Finally check out the British Foreign Office warning about buying in Cyprus - a good few people on here are now wishing they had. And good luck.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
25/06/2009 21:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

not mean to be horrible, but thats where the brits live

Gordon1955

Message Posted:
25/06/2009 22:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Re Message 9. We have friends in Larnaca who stay in a development consisting of 34 other houses/villas. The vast majority of these belong to Brits, some who live there permanently and some who purchased as a holiday rental. In the summer months you would think you were back in the UK - only with guaranteed sun. I would hope to make friends with a few locals, enjoy a few drinks and a meal in a local taverna etc. Surely the villages around Kyrenia contain a good mix of locals and foreigners (including quite a few Brits)? Are most of the new developments sold to foreigners or do the locals also purchase?

I have also had the misfortune to stay in a development in Spain - nothing but British pubs, British restaurants and British entertainment at night - including the usual lager louts!

We are after a quieter life and hope to enjoy local cuisine etc (but would also support British run businesses).

I suppose we hope to enjoy the best from both cultures. Too much to ask?

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
25/06/2009 22:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

in that case,I would buy from local people,not developer,which would also be safer.I would urge you to trust me on that,because I am a cypriot and I bought from developer

charlie15

Message Posted:
25/06/2009 22:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Hi Gordon,

There are lots of lovely villages that have a good mix of Locals and foreigners. Ozancoy. Catalcoy. Bellapais. Alsancak, Lapta, Karsyaka and the larger village of Girne to name a few. Plenty of friendly folk out there and great local eating places too. All waiting to be discovered. Just as anywhere, avoid large complexes.

Good luck!

Hector

Message Posted:
25/06/2009 22:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Gordon

Have you visited North Cyprus before? Rather than sell up and move out, how about spending a month (or more) on holiday first? Due to the current situation in the North there are amazingly cheap holiday deals to be had. Hire a car and have a really good look. Pay a visit to the Home Buyers Pressure group http://www.hbpg-trnc.net on a Tuesday for unbiased advice. Whatever you do, don't buy a property. You are absolutely right to rent for a year first. The property market in NC (as elsewhere in the world) is an absolute minefield, no matter what homework you think you have done.

Good luck and well done for finding this forum.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.