North Cyprus Tourist Board - Aphrodite Fish Restaurant - Lapta
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Aphrodite Fish Restaurant - Lapta

Aphrodite Fish Restaurant - Lapta

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read Aphrodite Beachfront Village North Cyprus property review

» Read about Fishing in North Cyprus

» See All North Cyprus Restaurant threads posted so far

» Read about Lapta town

» Kyrenia Restaurants

» Famagusta Restaurants

joandjelly

Message Posted:
22/03/2008 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 26 in Discussion

Went along to Aphrodite last night and had a great night. We only found out that it had re-opened by bumping into Cemal yesterday morning and apparently it has been open about a month. Anyway it was full, a mixture of locals and holidaymakers (yes honestly there are some), serve yourself drinks (Cemal's homemade wines were very good) and fish and stifado on the menu. The fish was superb with salad and chips followed by sweet, sticky pancakes. Bottle of wine plus 4 glasses to begin with total bill 95ytl for 4 people. Cemal and his family had people up dancing and to round it all off the baby donkey was brought in too!

If you don't know Cemal and haven't been to Aphrodite it is truly an experience. The restaurant is situated down the road alongside Sevkets and is down by the sea. There is a sign on the main road right opposite the turning.

Peterg

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 09:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 26 in Discussion

Cemal, in his prior operation of Aphrodite, was a character.

Now though he has deteriorated into a joke.

Well, he would be if he did even that properly !

Go to his 'restaurant'(?) and sit and wait for several hours, as we did, before you get any food. Then it can be a 12 plate Meze, or 2 dishes of Olives, his choice NOT yours.

Main Course took 21/4 hours to arrive . This on a pre arranged Booking, including a Vegetarian.

It used to be a novelty experience to eat with a Donkey, now it seems you are hosted by an Ass.!

God help the poor Missus toiling away in the Kitchen trying to make order out of his chaos

Never again, and if you take my advice.........give it a miss ! No novelty is worth being ripped off like that.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 10:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Peter

You obviously had a bad experience and very different from my own on the last 3 occasions that I have visited. I am intrigued to know in what way you were ripped off. I trust that you made your feelings known to Cemal and his wife at the time.

Jo

johnty

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 10:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 26 in Discussion

Im afraid i have to agree with Peterq. Our visit there was truly bad. We waited a long time for our food. He was cooking the fish outside with the dog and donkey along side the food. Other people were eating and he brought the donkey in. Then cemal proceded to slag off another resturant which i found out later to be his brother-in-law which is one of the most successful resturants in Alsancak called Charcos which truely was a great experiance. So i am sorry never again.

hattikins

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 11:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 26 in Discussion

We ate at Aphrodites a couple of weeks ago, never again, I found Cemal way over the top and far too touchy feely for my liking. We waited an age for the food and I was not really thrilled at eating with a donkey in the room, some people may enjoy this type of entertainment but it is not our idea of a good night out so we definitely won,t be visiting again.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 13:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 26 in Discussion

oih nowt wrong with donkeys - mine smell quite nice and are very clean!! Its the humans you have to worry about - dirty things they are!

phylray

Message Posted:
24/06/2008 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 26 in Discussion

Friends of mine told me of their visit to Aphrodite last month & had really

enjoyed it. Only complaint was he told my friend that she needed to lose

weight twice after dancing with her! We thought that was cheeky & he didn't

make same remark to her friend who is same size! (She did go on a diet next day!)

Peterg

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 26 in Discussion

The Rip Off was that I had prepaid for the meal that I never did get.

The sadness is that his Wife is a lovely woman, but the old fool has lost his way....full of criticism of others, as reported above, but now a sad, sad & diminished person. There's a very fine line between eccentricity and downright loss of marbles. He roared across it at high speed.

I saw several people depart his place that same night because of his obvious 'loss of plot'.

The Donkey, and Horse some years ago, never bothered me, to be frank. His rudeness if that's what people see, didn't either. But underlying it all was decent food, decent price, and originality.

Now all he has is the desperate air of a disorganised embarassment.

He shames the Red Beret that he has no right to wear. Partisan he might have been, but Professional....never.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 14:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 26 in Discussion

Peter

You have a gripe with Cemal that you really should take up with him personally. If you feel he has ripped you off then you need to deal with that with Cemal. I think you are getting a little bit too personal now with some of your comments and frankly it is not necessary on this board. I have not personally witnessed this "disorganised embarassment" on the many occasions that I have been to Aphrodite so unless something has drastically changed in the last couple of weeks then this is all very strange. Perhaps he had an off night because I have only ever seen him be polite and courteous to people. Eccentric yes, sad and diminished very unfair IMHO.

Jo

Peterg

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 18:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 26 in Discussion

Joandjelly.

Are you related to him?

I paid for my meal, in advance, and didn't get it.

I took it up with him there and then, that's my way.

He played the 'me don't understand' card. He understands me perfectly well. I have known him for at least 8 years and have spoken about many things with him many many times . He may fool you, but not me. His only reaction on this occasion was to blame his Staff. His 'Staff' was in fact a non employee trying desperately to bring some semblance of order to his chaos. Johannes is his name.

When you fail yourself that's one thing, when you blame a friend that's another.

I don't need lessons in either morality or propriety from you thank you.

Sad because he used to be better than that. Diminished because he is so much less than he was.

When I read the gushing review you gave it touched a nerve. The point I make is equally fair.

Aga Buyers A G

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 18:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 26 in Discussion

I have known Cem for some years now, although haven't seen him since last Aug. There is only one Cemal (thank God), take him with a pinch of salt - my brother in law had to 4 years or so ago after Cemal stuck his tounge down Steve's throat when goodbyes were being said after a rather raucous evening -put a different slant on cypriot cheek-air kissing......... Steve was so shocked he almost passed out, mind you many guys would have floored Cemal there and then !

Ok so its an experiance, if you didn't like it don't go again - we never went back to eat, but we stop off for an occasional beer whilst walking past and pass time with him and his wife. Cemal is just a simple lonely rogue attempting to impress all he meets, unfortuately to impress is not what he achieves quite the opposite,

BY the way did you know that he's an Estate Agent, Lawyer, Builder, Hotelier, Car Mechanic, Horse Whisper, Chef, Bomb Disposal Expert. He has been there, done that and has got the T-Shirt............. :0) !

But on the whole he's ok !!!!!

Suz

xxxx

PS We prefer Asmalis over the road !!!!!!!!!!

Peterg

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 18:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 26 in Discussion

If ever I want to be sexually assaulted by a part time Builder I'll keep him in mind. As far as eating is concerned I shall, and I recommend others,....to give him a miss.!

Littlenige

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 20:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 26 in Discussion

souds like he is like cyprus tired over the hill and wanting to screw the last penny out of the last of the punters.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 21:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 26 in Discussion

No I'm not related to him just thought some of your remarks were rude and unnecessary.

Peterg

Message Posted:
26/06/2008 23:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 26 in Discussion

Joandjelly.

The views expressed were, and still are, sincerely held, and reflect the way we were treated on that occasion.

He was very rude to us, all the more so as I had I thought a good relationship with him as an acquaintance, and it sounds as though he is now behaving that way to many others. That has never been the way for any Business to operate. It becomes a self harm expression.

Perhaps it is not your place to be Judge & Jury over what is and isn't necessary, you weren't there, by your own admission? Your defence is admirable, but all it is doing is extending and widening the impact of my reporting of fact. Perhaps we should end it there?

joandjelly

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 00:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 26 in Discussion

I agree Peter and I honestly did not intend to be judge and jury.

Cyprusunday

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 09:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 26 in Discussion

Cemal is certainly a strange one. Perhaps living through the troubles here may have something to do with it. There are many british war veterans who are "Diminished because he is so much less than he was" or similar. I have had amny a good night there and think it is one of the best value places here. I just take him with a pinch of salt.

Little Nige are you not just sticking the boot in with your statement as you are not quoting from experience?

Littlenige

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 09:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 26 in Discussion

click the link to see him with the donkey ( no not ruth )

http://www.livingmagazinecyprus.com/sitedata/gallery/eatingout/eatingout-24.jpg

Peterg

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 09:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 26 in Discussion

I do believe it's a Restaurant, NOT a Psychiatric recovery centre. How many times would he need to take YOUR money and deliver nothing, or ram his tongue down YOUR throat before Eccentricity becomes theft/assault?

Once, twice, or what?

Littlenige

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 10:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 26 in Discussion

Cyprusunday

Just an observation.

I would not go in a place that lets a donkey in roaming arround tables where people are eating.

Cyprusunday

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 15:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 26 in Discussion

"souds like he is like cyprus tired over the hill and wanting to screw the last penny out of the last of the punters."

So you are not quoting from experience when you make this statement Nige

Littlenige

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 15:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 26 in Discussion

Cyprusunday

IT " sounds " ( ok reads ) like he is like cyprus tired over the hill and wanting to screw the last penny out of the last of the punters."

after viewing the above posts I hope that is clearer than your member information

Member Cyprusunday Member Picture

Name Dave

Age 45

Gender Not Selected

Marital Status Not Selected

Location -

Occupation -

Member Since 16/06/2008

Last Post 27/06/2008

Total Posts 9

Email Member opted to hide email address

goinghome

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 15:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 26 in Discussion

Must agree with joandjelly

on every occasion that we have visited we have found cemal nothing but obliging and courteous

cemal and his wife create a wonderful ambiance!

And the food is always very fresh and plentiful

And I live to tell the tale and re-visit another day!!!!

i would rather have a donkey than rats!!!!!!!!!

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 15:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 26 in Discussion

Has anyone thought about maybe Cemal has the early on-set of dementia perhaps? Whilst I cannot comment on Aphrodite as I have never been there, I think its a bit unfair to criticise so heavily - just stick to you review and let that be it maybe?

Littlenige

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 26 in Discussion

fair comment rachel

Cyprusunday

Message Posted:
27/06/2008 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 26 in Discussion

So you were never a new member? I am not the only one on here who chooses not to show a picture. i find the place very good value, bit weird admittedly. Out of interest would you somewhere that alows dogs and cats in?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.