North Cyprus Tourist Board - Registering Sale Contracts in Famagusta
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Registering Sale Contracts in Famagusta

Registering Sale Contracts in Famagusta

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Famagusta town North Cyprus

sunnydays

Message Posted:
23/03/2008 15:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 21 in Discussion

We are purchasing a property in Tatlisu and we have been informed that we need to register the Contract of Sale at the Land Registry office in Famagusta, as opposed to Girne as we were initially advised.

Has anyone registered their property in Famagusta yet, and was it a quick and easy process?

Thanks.

elko2

Message Posted:
23/03/2008 20:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 21 in Discussion

If your papers are in order and stamped and the contract is inTurkish or have a translation in Turkish certified as true then it should be quite easy.

ismet

sunnyday

Message Posted:
24/03/2008 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 21 in Discussion

Hi, I registered my contract on Friday at Famagusta. It is an easy process. You don't need a turkish contract or translation any more. They will help you fill in the 2 forms if your solicitor has not already provided them. It took me about an hour, but only because the person before me had about a dozen contracts to register.

Looks like we picked almost the same names. I also live in Tatlisu.

Anne

elko2

Message Posted:
24/03/2008 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 21 in Discussion

Msg. 3

Sunnyday,

Turkish translation: Are you talking about old contracts or new contracts? My information is that you need turkish Translation if your contract is dated 2nd January 2008 or after. Can we have feedback on this please? Sunnydays talked about a new purchase and that is why I mentioned the translation.

ismet

sunnyday

Message Posted:
24/03/2008 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 21 in Discussion

elko2, my contract was an old one. I believe that you are correct about new ones needing a Turkish translation.

sunnydays

Message Posted:
24/03/2008 18:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 21 in Discussion

Thanks for your replies.

Sunnyday...Was it easy enough to find? Did you have to queue at all? We've been told that the queues are long in Girne!

This will be our first visit to Famagusta, we are staying in Girne, do you know how long it will take us to get there?

Sorry for the translation confusion, we have an old contract dated March '07 and have been told by our solicitor as Anne clarified that we do not need Turkish translation.

Pugsey

Message Posted:
25/03/2008 01:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 21 in Discussion

We have 5 properties to register for various members of our family. Our properties are in Tatlisu (4) and one at turtle bay. The solicitor is to charge us approx £400 per property

If the link I read tonight from Cyprus Today was correct it only actually costs 45 YTL to do this yourself. Or have I read it wrong. In which case it would pay to come across and do it ourselves.

Can you register somebody elses property by proxy? What would I need to do and how do I find out if it should be Kyrenia or Famagusta? Do I get original copies from the solicitors and are they likely to be difficult? Help!!!!!

sunnydays

Message Posted:
25/03/2008 09:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 21 in Discussion

Pugsey,

Yes, you are correct, it does cost 45 YTL.

You can only register for someone else if you have power of attorney. If the solicitor does this for you, you also need to give POA. I believe. We were going over on holiday anyway before all this came to light, so we're just doing it ourselves, however we had on a previous trip given POA to our solicitor. This was done by visiting the 'Notar'(?) in his office in Girne.

If you have properties in Tatlisu, we have been told by our solicitor that this HAS to be done in Famagusta, which is a pain as it means having to take a day out to visit, instead of just an amble down the road from where we are staying in Girne!!! Good excuse for some sightseeing though, although how much we'll get done with two small children is anyones guess!!!

Pugsey

Message Posted:
25/03/2008 10:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 21 in Discussion

What is annoying is that we were only told about this when we went over in March and of course there was no mention that we could do it ourselves so am feeling somewhat suckered.

We musr already have given POA to them does this make any difference for our relatives as only one of us would go back over?

Not really bothered about going to famagusta is we save £2000 in the process. Just wonder if we've got enough time now.

sunnyday

Message Posted:
25/03/2008 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 21 in Discussion

Hi Sunnydays,

It is easy to find, when you get to Famagusta, there is a big roundabout - turn right there towards the town centre, straight over traffic lights, at the next roundabout go straight over & then turn right soon after. Its on the LHS not far down the road (with barbed wire above the wall), large sign on the building says TAPU... Plenty of parking. Very little queuing compared to Kyrenia. If you haven't paid stamp duty yet, you can also do that in Famagusta with no queuing. Takes about 30min from Tatlisu, probably just over a hour from Kyrenia.

When you've done everything I suggest you explore the old town, as its your first visit.

sunnydays

Message Posted:
25/03/2008 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 21 in Discussion

Thanks Sunnyday, that's brilliant, that will really help us, we hadn't a clue what we were looking for!!!!

sunnydays

Message Posted:
03/04/2008 14:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 21 in Discussion

Registered contract last week, thanks Sunnyday for directions...really easy to find. Everything very straight forward. They keep original contract, so anyones else registering, keep plenty of copies.

We met two other buyers that had gone registered their contract the previous day with no wait, however when we got to the office at 9am the following day, a solicitor had beaten us to it with a huge pile of their clients contracts!!! We were told to return at 1.30pm when they were back from lunch. Luckily with 2 small children in tow, we arrived by 12.45pm as we realised that everyone else would be told the same and a huge queue would form....we were right, but luckily 2nd in line. If we would have arrived 15 minutes later, we could have been waiting another 3-4 hours, as each contarct was taking approx 30 minutes to be done. I don't think my children would have allowed us to have done this! I guess it's the luck of the draw!!

We did however have a great morning in Famagusta, which is really lovely.

jimbo

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 01:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 21 in Discussion

Whats all the fuss about we went over last week and paid stamp duty and took about 10 mins just gave the lady our copy of the contracts, paid, and that was it.Went around the corner to the tapu but they were shut for lunch went for a coffee at peteks ,went back to the tapu where they said no payments after lunch, we said that we are going home the next day the lady behind the counter said ok she would do it for us she took about 10 mins and kept the original contract and we kept a copy paid 69ytl dunno wht it was this much we were just grateful for her to do this for us

andre 514

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 02:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 21 in Discussion

hi guys,

was over in march and my solicitor didn't think to tell me

I could easily register my contract in famagusta,

but now says he is happy to do it for 271 squid

meanwhile my earlier assumption that "stamped" and "registered"

are the same thing is looking a bit silly

the remaining choices seem to be:

not to bother, you still get your title deeds apparently

phone the trnc rep in london see what they say

butter up the land office in case I can get an extension till mid may

(anyone know the famagusta phone number?)

spin my lawyer a hard luck story. I am joking obviously

see if our service company can do it cheaper

look out for a cheap flight in april and go there myself

don't wait up,

andre

McSteviet

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 08:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 21 in Discussion

Jimbo,

They should never have kept your original contract. That's why you have the copy, they should keep that.

MC

bjrice

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 11:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 21 in Discussion

can someone tell me where to pay stamp duty in famagusta.

also do i need an english and turkish contract .

andre 514

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 19:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 21 in Discussion

hi bjrice,

there is loads of stuff elswhere on the forum all about paying and magusa:

you better check but think they said you are ok for an english language contract

dated prior to 8 january, they have a bilingual form at the land registry for this

I've got a very good deal reserved on a flight on the 21st april see plaint above

and pending a miraculous recantation from my solicitor, plan to go in person

with other stuff to do on the island anyway...

only problem is I am still to learn whether the solicitor has my contract

or lent the original to the service company for metering

oh and everyone reading this:

believe 23 april is turkish national day ie public holiday everything closed,

is that true?

andre

sunnydays

Message Posted:
08/04/2008 21:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 21 in Discussion

MCSTEVIET - I'm afraid it seems to be working differently to the Girne office and they are keeping all the original contracts in Famagusta - god knows why?!!

JIMBO - Your flippant response asking; "what is all the fuss is about?", is exactly why I'm very reluctant to ever post on this forum. Rudeness and unecessary comments like yours irritate me s there is just no need for it! All we are trying to do is share our experiences in order to help each other, and clearly not all experiences are the same.

jimbo

Message Posted:
09/04/2008 00:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 21 in Discussion

Sorry it was a throw away remark.What the post was meant to say is i was lucky and for us it went really smoothly .I was just sharing my experience .The office called the tapu is right next to the old hospital

andre 514

Message Posted:
10/04/2008 17:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 21 in Discussion

hi guys,

if anyone is reading this, please see above "don't wait up"...

my solicitor has apparently done the reg. and decided not to charge me!

still have my instant quickie trip booked but can do other stuff in the area

last year we had been in a small villiage store in the mountains

it was a long walk back to the car

a big bloke came running after us, thinking there was some argument

about what we had paid for I muttered "keep walking, don't look back"

the big guy finally reached us and handed us a huge bunch

of the juiciest black grapes I've ever tasted

only in north cyprus

andre

cuddles

Message Posted:
18/02/2009 02:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 21 in Discussion

Hi Guys

I am about to buy a property in Famagusta and would be grateful for advice with regards to good solicitors and any tips.

Many thanks

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.