North Cyprus Tourist Board - Do your solar panels face North, South, East or West?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Do your solar panels face North, South, East or West?

Do your solar panels face North, South, East or West?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

JohnW

Message Posted:
10/07/2009 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

They should face South for maximum efficiency. Do yours? If they don't then call us. We may well be able to move them as we have done already to many.

What does it cost? It depends on the difficulty, the time it will take and the additional materials involved in making new frames. So far charges have been from TL300 up to a maximum of TL1,200.

Call me on 0533 836 7094 for a free visit and a quote.

John Webster

Cyprus Solutions.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
10/07/2009 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

This is to be recommended as it will eventually pay for itself in reduced electricity bills when the sun alone may not be enough to heat your water.

JohnW

Message Posted:
10/07/2009 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Oh no! Now I owe Vaughan another Efes.

Vaughan, see you at Happy Hour at Park Lane. I'm going to get you one of those things that floats to hold your drink while you are basking in the pool for your birthday.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
10/07/2009 16:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Don't tell everyone it's my birthday or they will all want to buy me a beer. (Just ask Rose to "Put one in" for me.)

"I'm going to get you one of those things that floats to hold your drink while you are basking in the pool for your birthday." Are you referring to a dusky maiden in a bikini?

Baspinar Bob

Message Posted:
10/07/2009 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

TRNCVaughan.

No Vaughan being an ex navy chapie he ment a boy, sorry i ment a bouy. Many happy returns.

Bob.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
10/07/2009 17:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks Bob,

You mustn't get us MN lads mixed up with those RN types. Their motto is "Women are all very well, but you can't beat the real thing".

Hope you put a beer in for me, BTW.

JohnW

Message Posted:
10/07/2009 20:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Back to wrongly aligned solar panels. See us at Lambousa Market, Lapta Saturday 9.30am till 1.00pm

kibsolar

Message Posted:
20/07/2009 13:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

its not worth to move local solar panels into a better direction.

lets say in average it does cost you 600 TL.

these panels have an area of 1,6 m2, two panel = 3,2 m2.

the total amount of energy you can collect by the sun in an optimum position, but due to the the low efficiency of local panels, is worth a max 150 lira per year.

if your panels facing, lets say west, you lose approx 25% of the power, meaning, the relocating is worth 50 lira per year (or a 140 kW/hrs for 0,35 lira).

the payback of 12 years your low quality local solar panels never will survive.

better it would be to install a proper solar water heater or a proper central heating back up with professionel panels which you can get from Orba, 0533 8467420.

they will make it for the next 15 to 20 years and could be, ;-), installed in the right position....

JohnW

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 08:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

kibsolar

I'm not sure that the calculation is quite that simple. In many cases the panels are not just misaligned but are in shadow for part or much of the day with water tanks, sattelite dishes, walls, trees and other things in the way. Many are placed on north facing slopes on roofs or placed in some spot convenient for the builders but not much good for catching the sun.

JohnW

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 09:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

kibsolar

In the case of panels which are positioned correctly with no obstructions you say:

"the total amount of energy you can collect by the sun in an optimum position, but due to the the low efficiency of local panels, is worth a max 150 lira per year."

I take that to mean that if you took the panels away and relied solely on electricity to heat water that the additional electricity bill would be 150 lira a year. Is that correct?

kibsolar

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 14:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

JohnW

as 95% of all solar panels are used for domestic hot water, i calculated for DHW systems.

although you have installed local solar panels for your domestic hot water needs, you have to use quite a lot of electricity. my calculation only can mean that, if you install 2 local solar panels, you pay 150 TL LESS electricity per year or, as you said, "...the additional electricity bill would be ....".

my answer is: yes, thats more or less the case, unfortunately.

for central heating back up its also not worth installing them. you will get 100 lira as a max per panel and all the other installation is too expensive for seeing the system a payback. for pool heating applies nearly the same.

JohnW

Message Posted:
21/07/2009 20:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

My posting on this thread related to heating domestic water and so I am going to ignore all references to central heating or swimming pools - another issue entirely and I have no interest in these installations.

Practical experience shows that your calculation that the water heating panels will only save 150 lira a year is just plain wrong.

Our own customers have shown dramatic improvements after having their solar panels moved to face south or/and to avoid obstructions.

I must say that over the last two years I have advised about 50% of the people I have visited to look at this problem that I could see no cost benefit to moving their panels. I am not a rabid enthusiast for moving every solar panel regardless to face directly south. I give people objective advice. I would not dream of advising someone to spend money that might be wasted.

Nonetheless, your calculations might be right in theory but bear no relation to the more complex reality reality on the ground.

Jo

kibsolar

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 00:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

JohnW.

move solar panels, we install (more complex) solar central-heating back up systems in combination with DHW and pool heating.

iam used in presenting numbers, because my customers want to know about the gains of their investment.

you present "phrases" like "..practical experience...", "..plain wrong...", "...dramatic improvements...", "...i would not dream of....", "...bear no relation to the more complex reality....."

what about if you present us some numbers?

JohnW

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 01:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

They should face South for maximum efficiency. Do yours? If they don't then call us. We may well be able to move them as we have done already to many.

What does it cost? It depends on the difficulty, the time it will take and the additional materials involved in making new frames. So far charges have been from TL300 up to a maximum of TL1,200.

Call me on 0533 836 7094 for a free visit and a quote.

John Webster

Cyprus Solutions.

Stewart

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 08:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

How can anyone, have bought a house with panels facing north!?

JohnW

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 11:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

I'll get some photos for you.

There is one estate in Lapta with every panel facing north. There is an apartment complex in Alsancak with three blocks where A faces East, B faces South and C faces West when they could easily all have faced South. To add insult to injury each set of tanks and panels are placed in two rows so the rear row is obscured from the sun by the tanks in the front row.

Look about as you go around. It is quite barmy.

kibsolar

Message Posted:
22/07/2009 23:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

JohnW.

of course it is quite barmy whats going on reg solar energy in this country and thank you very much for your numbers given. its nice that you (at least) can evaluate numbers for yourself (the bill to your customers).

msg 15 Steward

these are people who either dont ask questions or they believed in what eg their estate agents said (its all all right like that). and, logically, they are the same people which now "need" to move the solar panels from north to south..... for a (max) price of 1200 !! TL. for that money you EASILY can purchase a new local "solar" system and you could have two systems! one north, one south. great, isnt it?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.