North Cyprus Tourist Board - new member with teenager
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > new member with teenager

new member with teenager

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Pugsey

Message Posted:
24/03/2008 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Hello,

We are looking to move out to Tatlisu some time later in the year but are having trouble convincing our 17 year old son to join us after his A levels. He wanted to come intially but now formed a band and is wavering badly.

Are there any sites or forums that would be useful, including any info on local universities and any brits who have already attended uni over there.

Also what is the local music scene like for teens. I saw the thread for the rock event but is it more likely to be attended by 30/40+'s.

Help required!!!

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
24/03/2008 13:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

All I can say is good luck, TRNC is not the best place for 17 year olds. The one saving grace may be that they can travel across the border & head south.

P of P&J

elko2

Message Posted:
24/03/2008 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Once he enrols at university, he can make many friends. We have an abundance of universities here but the best is at Famagusta.

Eastern Mediterranean University-Famagusta

Near East University-Nicosia

Cyprus International University- Nicosia

Lefka European University-Lefka

Girne American University- Girne

I was surprised to hear about GCE Advance Level exams, I thought they were exams of the past.

Good luck.

ismet

Pugsey

Message Posted:
24/03/2008 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Hello Ismet,

A-levels are supposed to be getting phased out at some point so he may be one of the last. The great and the good have decided that course work is now not such a good idea as it is too open to cheating (i.e. download somebody elses essay or get your dad to do it for you) and want to go back to straight exams.

The main sticking point is his "band". He is very outgoing and would make firends easily.

I've suggested he take a gop year here to give it a try and then make a decision.

Do the universities teach in turkish and or english?

Fran

gwendoline

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 10:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

None of the universities enjoy a particularly good reputation. Many of the degrees seem to be approved by the Turkish government but many more only have local TRNC accreditation which is quite useless if you want to use your degree outside Northern Cyprus. The best of tem appears to be Near East University in Lefkosa.

The only reliable website that gives independent advise about the universities is: http://www.isas-ch.org which appears to be based in Switzerland. The homerfile column keeps things reasonably up to date and is a real hoot!

louthlass

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 10:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

I strongly recommend you do not bring a 17 year old boy here. He will be miserable after the initial period of arriving in a new country. He will miss his friends, find it hard to make friends with girls, and he will probably be in for a lot of flack with the local boys.

We made the same mistake, although my son did stick it out and worked in our watersports business for 9 years. Winters were very difficult for him.

I know of at least two other boys who also returned to UK as soon as they reached 18.

smithy

Message Posted:
08/06/2009 10:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Pegsy what ever your decision, I hope you make the right choice, its great here in the TRNC but I do have to agree with the Wicks Teenagers dont have a lot of choice here on the Entertainment side but look at Ismet opinions and check out the Universities first, good luck

Sheila

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.