North Cyprus Tourist Board - castle entrance fee for students
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > castle entrance fee for students

castle entrance fee for students

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

girne 29

Message Posted:
13/07/2009 23:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Heres a thought.

If entrance fees for kyrenia castle are 4ytl for locals and students but 12ytl for tourists

what entrance fee would you pay if you were a tourist but also a student? or does it specify "local student".

Visitors staying next door to us were not amused by this, by the way,and no doubt will pass this on when they get home. TRNC Tourism Ministry take note.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 00:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

It's criminal, dual pricing structures endorsed and condoned by the Government. If you've started your yearly temporary visitor stamp take your passport with you and you'll get charged the 'local' tariff. Really makes the tourists feel welcome! Come, come let us rip you off but it's legal, try Malta next year!!

Richard

Aysesdaddy

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 01:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

I agree it is wrong. There are seven of us and it works out quite expensive to visit the castle. I have sent an email to TRNC Tourist board about this subject. Perhaps if enough people did this they might get the message.

girne

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 09:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

İf you have a student card then it is 4tl.

Locals with Kimlik cards get in free.

Tourist pay 12 TL £4.50 this you really can not argue about just try going to a torist area in london and paying £4.50 entrance fee. EG Madame tusades went last December chıldren £35 x 2entrance adults £50 x 2 yes cost us £170 entrance!

Sandcastle

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 15:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

How do you say "Local rate" in Turkish. That might help some of us!

Please if you can answer, spell it correctley but then put the spelling on how it is said for us idiots ;-)

girne 29

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 20:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Girne

"Tourist pay 12 TL £4.50 this you really can not argue about just try going to a torist area in london and paying £4.50 entrance fee."

Poor excuse for discrimination,

its not the money its the sign,Dont care if it was only 1p difference ,locals £10 and tourists £10.01p

You are being selective, the top 10 UK visitor attractions are free to EVERYONE.

What would you think if you came up from England to Edinburgh Castle and you saw a sign saying -

Entrance Fee

Scots-£12 ,Children &OAP's-£5

English- £30.

You complained to the Tourist Board and were told to count yourself lucky because Madame Tussauds in London, in your country England, costs £35.

Why not ask everyone to pay the same entrance fee to Kyrenia Castle ,and then ask for a donation for upkeep.

Now that would not be discriminatory.

The other point that is missed is that its better for tourists to pay 4ytl rather than refusing to pay 12YTL and walking.

girne 29

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

trncphoenix

"Just tell them you live here you will pay local rate, works every time. "

See where you are coming from ,but its the principle that is offensive not the financial loss.,

MissP

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

I dont see or have a problem with the 2 diffrent prices. Look how much is earned in the UK compared to Cyprus. They are paying something at least, money has to be raised somehow. Donations I in my opinion would not work. In the uk places charge diffrent prices, Ie, OAP's and people on benefits so what is the diffrence here ?

girne 29

Message Posted:
14/07/2009 23:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

MissP

Where in the castle price list does it mention rates based on income.I am not being told to pay more because I am rich, I am being told to pay because Iam foreign. Saw a group of Africans in Girne , did they got in cheap? doubt it.Do people show their passport to prove whether they come from a high income country or low.

How much I earn or not in the uk is nothing to do with the trnc tourist authority, I am a pensioner and earn on my own account probably less than the trnc average,where is my fee on the price board?

Does the same apply to Norwegians or Japanese holidaying in UK, are you going to charge them more cos average wage is higher.

Yes ,pensioners in the uk and people on benifits pay less sometimes,but compared to locals because they are deemed to have such low incomes compared to locals .That subsidy is paid for by working adults,local or not

and general taxation.We do not ask tourists to pay double to cover it.

How does p---ing of tourists help low pa

ianwfs

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 01:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

I think I'm the only one out of step here. Locals getting a discount at tourist attractions happens the world over, and I see nothing wrong with it.

The point is it's not tourists/foreigners paying more than they should do, it's locals getting a discount.

Ian

MissP

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 01:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Totally agree with you ianwfs, i just dont think i worded it right !!

littlejohn

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 02:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Just don't go to the castle - or whichever other "expensive" historical site you are thinking of visiting. In fact stay away from all of them. While you are at it stay away from N Cyprus - go to Blackpool or Skegness and pay through the nose for the "attractions" there!!!!

Do any of you realise how much money which has been spent on these sites firstly to preserve them and secondly to make them more visitor friendly - and by that I mean the extensive work done at Hilarion on footpaths etc so that visitors can more easily get around?? And the shipwreck at Kyrenia!!.

I heard one English person complain about the "rip off" price of fresh orange juice at Hilarion. Do they ever think of the logistics of getting everything up to these little shops?

Mind you the English would complain if it was free - probably call it a "nanny state""

girne 29

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 05:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

littlejohn,

the visitors who were not happy about the pricing ,have already gone home,so your comments about them staying away from the castle are now pointless as is your comment that they should stay away from N.C . I am sure they will be happy to oblige.

ianwfs,

Must admit, didnt cross my mind that the two tier price system for foreigners and locals was common throughout the world.Can only use the excuse of not having travelled much in Europe, or elsewhere for that matter,Its just something I have not noticed in attractions I have been too. Most have been free anyway so pricing wasnt an issue.

That being the case , I will concede therefore that Kyrenia Castle is doing nothing wrong in charging different rates .

However ,is a TC tourist in UK, on low wage, having to pay twice what a local brit would be charged, not in a lot worse position than Brit tourist N.Cyprus on a better wage paying twice what a local TC does.

minertor

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 06:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

I used to live in Leeds near Temple Newsam Park, the largest municipal park in the world. Temple Newsam House, or The Mansion as it was known locally, had dual pricing. The lower for Leeds residents and the higher for non Leeds residents. Maybe Girne castle is funded by the local council. If you take your blue/pink residency booklet you should get in for the lower price.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 11:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

A Castle in Cesme Turkey everyone pays 2tl always well visited by locals and tourists, Kyrenia would make up the difference in 4tl and 12tl if they charged maybe 5tl for everyone as people would not turn away when they found out the price, lower charge more people!

girne 29

Message Posted:
15/07/2009 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Woodspeckie

Exactly,

In Leeds and some other cities,one applies for a Card and then uses that card for reduced entry fees for city amenities. Another example would be the national trust ,where you pay annual membership and pay less than others.

However a person without a card pays the same as a foreigner without a card.

These subsidised rates are less about making profit and more to do with encouraging people to take advantage of their amenities.

In the castle for example ,it would look better if the sign said Girne Card holders 4ytl

Students 4ytl

Adults 12ytl

Child 2ytl

instead of what could appear to be another example of discrimantory pricing.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.